Page 56 of 58 [ 916 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 9:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP-vHAwAVdg

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 9:38 am

This song went to number one and was constantly played on the radio in America which looking back from a 2024 prospective is mind blowing. If it was released today a lot of radio stations would be scared to play it, there would be campaign to not let this band into the United States. There would be your face demonstrations at their concerts, their websites would be hacked. Since the band was from Canada there would be anti Canadian sentiment expressed.

One cannot say we were more mellow then. This hit number one in May 1970 at height of internal divisions over the Vietnam War, yet I don’t recall anything more then a little bit of consternation about an anti American/anti Vietnam war protest song*.

*From Songfacts
One of the most misinterpreted songs ever, this is often heard as a patriotic ode or a tribute to American women. It's usually American listeners who arrive at the jingoistic conclusions, ignoring a very clear lyric: "American Woman, get away from me."

The Guess Who are Canadian, and Burton Cummings (the song's lyricist) insists it has nothing to do with American pride. "What was on my mind was that girls in the States seemed to get older quicker than our girls and that made them, well, dangerous," Cummings told the Toronto Star in 2014. "When I said 'American woman, stay away from me,' I really meant 'Canadian woman, I prefer you.' It was all a happy accident."

Speaking with Songfacts, Randy Bachman called "American Woman" an "antiwar protest song," explaining that when they came up with it on stage, both the band and the audience had a problem with the Vietnam War. Said Bachman: "We had been touring the States. This was the late '60s, they tried to draft us, send us to Vietnam. We were back in Canada, playing in the safety of Canada where the dance is full of draft dodgers who've all left the States."

The lines where the anti-Vietnam sentiment are most apparent are "I don't want your war machines, I don't want your ghetto scenes."

My 12 year old self certainly thought of it as an anti American song. The first time I heard about it being interpreted as a jingoistic song was when I read about in songfacts. I am befuddled, I have no clue where the jingoistic interpretation would come from. At the time it was a really good song and still is “Classic Rock” in every sense of the term.

Extended version

GenX members may be more familiar with the Lenny Kravitz cover.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 7:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzzWEeiUf3Y

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 7:48 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOuveRlAaac

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 6:02 pm

Whenever I hear this song I picture Xi Jinping leading his red armies riding on a giant Chinese dragon ready to burn down Washington D.C. :nerdy:

https://youtu.be/NSa1HllWGxc?si=rCml2nxIrY8aBfG4

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2024, 11:09 pm

sums it up for me

traven
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 1:54 am

traven
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 2:31 am

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 5:37 pm

Amazing song from an overhyped show that sums up politics in a nutshell.

Also I like to picture this song playing after Trump chokes on his last cheeseburger. :nerdy:

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 5:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43gm3CJePn0

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2024, 7:08 pm

"Just do as I say, don't do as I do". Certainly describes the religious right and who they vote for all too well.

Sadly, televangelists are still a thing and so this over 30 year song feels very relevant.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 2:52 am

In 1973 Redbone released the politically oriented "We Were All Wounded at Wounded Knee", recalling the massacre of Lakota Sioux Indians by the Seventh Cavalry in 1890. The song ends with the subtly altered sentence "We were all wounded 'by' Wounded Knee". The song reached the #1 chart position in Europe but did not chart in the U.S. where it was initially withheld from release and then banned by several radio stations.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2024, 3:02 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:D

where's the dick cheney, aha

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 4:31 pm

This is how I picture in my head Kim Yo Jong taking absolute power as the first Female Dictator of North Korea. :nerdy:

https://youtu.be/RwJscjiB0Sc?si=QZjG10c5GqSxJ-MX

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2024, 7:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgoR9DsxR3Q

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 5:50 am

Songfacts

Quote:
Paul McCartney wrote this song about the civil rights struggle for African Americans after reading about race riots in the US. He penned it in his kitchen in Scotland not long after an incident in Little Rock when the federal courts forced the racial desegregation of the Arkansas capital's school system.

"I was sitting around with my acoustic guitar and I'd heard about the civil rights troubles that were happening in the '60s in Alabama, Mississippi, Little Rock in particular," he told GQ. "I just thought it would be really good if I could write something that if it ever reached any of the people going through those problems, it might give them a little bit of hope. So, I wrote 'Blackbird.'"

McCartney did not have ornithological intentions when he wrote this song. In England, "bird" is a term meaning "girl," so the song is a message to a black girl, telling her it's her time to fly:

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman