Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + some HS 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and HS graduate 11%  11%  [ 14 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + HS graduate 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and some CC or university 13%  13%  [ 16 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + some CC or uni 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and CC graduate 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + CC graduate 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and have a Bachelor's degree 14%  14%  [ 17 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + have a Bachelor's degree 17%  17%  [ 21 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and have a Master's or PHD 15%  15%  [ 18 ]
Not professionally diagnosed and have a Master's or PHD 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 124

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 3:44 am

Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + some HS

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 5:31 am

dx'ed early 2000s, school of hard knocks.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 7:19 am

Not professionally diagnosed and have a masters degree, wheres my option?

Jason

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 7:25 am

Diagnosed and Abitur, waiting to get into university. Aiming for a Bachelor (and most likely Master) of Arts Erziehungswissenschaften (educational science).

No idea what to vote.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 4:26 pm

Jtuk wrote:

Jason

I'm sorry........ that was a big oversight.....I should have had a "not diagnosed and Masters or PHD" and an "Other" option. :oops:

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 4:28 pm

OJani wrote:
I don't know if it counts as a Master's but I have an MBA degree (Master of Business Administration). It seems it has been diluted over the years to an extent...

I picked the last option, though.

of course that counts as a Master's

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 4:39 pm

You know there's a few really important pieces of information you're not asking here?

Level of education doesn't really reveal much without knowing (1) how old we are, (2) How old we were when we achieved our level of education, and (3) how old we were when diagnosed or first realized we are on the spectrum.

That is a lot to digest, but level of education alone really doesn't suggest a whole lot without the rest of the picture.

I was undiagnosed for 49 years. Graduated High School in 1978, but didn't earn my two year degree until the age of 48.

That tells a very different story from "30 years old, diagnosed at age 6, earned my graduate degree by age 26."

Or, "24, diagnosed at age 14, Bachelor's by age 23."

See what I mean?

Granted, the forum's poll function doesn't allow for enough options to do that, but the poll function isn't a very good tool anyway. Asking the questions in your post would work, plus you can edit it when people find missing options in it. You can't edit the poll function once it's posted.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
Jtuk wrote:

Jason

I'm sorry........ that was a big oversight.....I should have had a "not diagnosed and Masters or PHD" and an "Other" option. :oops:

Do you want me to add them for you? (I'm a mod).

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 12:16 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
Jtuk wrote:

Jason

Do you want me to add them for you? (I'm a mod).

yes...that would be quite helpful.....thank you :)

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 12:18 pm

Poll fixed.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 12:31 pm

MrXxx wrote:
You know there's a few really important pieces of information you're not asking here?

Level of education doesn't really reveal much without knowing (1) how old we are, (2) How old we were when we achieved our level of education, and (3) how old we were when diagnosed or first realized we are on the spectrum.

That is a lot to digest, but level of education alone really doesn't suggest a whole lot without the rest of the picture.

I was undiagnosed for 49 years. Graduated High School in 1978, but didn't earn my two year degree until the age of 48.

That tells a very different story from "30 years old, diagnosed at age 6, earned my graduate degree by age 26."

Or, "24, diagnosed at age 14, Bachelor's by age 23."

See what I mean?

Granted, the forum's poll function doesn't allow for enough options to do that, but the poll function isn't a very good tool anyway. Asking the questions in your post would work, plus you can edit it when people find missing options in it. You can't edit the poll function once it's posted.

You're right there are big differences between ppl who fall into the same categories I created....but I was hoping people would answer the poll and then elaborate on their situation underneath. I wanted a quantifiable measure....... even if it's not a great indication of anything....I wanted to compare the number of ppl with ASD's who have degrees vs. the number of ppl without ASD's who do.

I'm 27 now and graduating this year with a four year degree. I went to uni when I finished high school but dropped out 2 years later........I returned recently. I didn't take the straight forward route either. Congratulations on getting your degree last year.

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2012, 1:15 pm

I sort of fear getting diagnosed.

I have a B.A. in Accounting, I am a CPA & CGMA. I studied for a Masters which amounted to three years of Seminary studying Philosophy. I did not finish, I also studying for a MBA but quite after two years. I hated group work and I could not justify 80% or more of my grade being based on group work unless the certificate would have all of our names on it - what is the point?

Oh yeah, education - everyday is an education and I hope it never ends.

B

Last edited by kg4fxg on 23 Feb 2012, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 1:27 pm

To actually do the elaboration that people are discussing now.

Age 22; Bachelor's degree (double major) at age 20; Formal diagnosis at age 22, knew about Asperger's since age 13; Goal is to go back to grad school, hope to get a PhD, but need to deal with getting recommendations and standardized testing and such now that I can actually get the necessary accommodations. Have been taking a non-purposeful break after the bachelor's degree to deal with medical things, both physically, and mental health, after I had a very hard year while I was 19.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 1:33 pm

I have.....

One A.A. in liberal arts.

By May I will have an A.S. in aircraft maintenance technology.

I'm aiming to eventually get yet another A.S. in emergency medical services in about another two years.

XFilesGeek: many associates degreees, no bachelors degrees (which is largely the result of having a 60 hour work week and a eternally changing schedule)..

DXed with Aspergers at 26.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2012, 4:15 pm

Nothing wrong with several AA degrees from a community college.
There are many things you can learn at a technical school with a two year degree that can put you on equal earning terms to a four year degree.

I went to a community college for two years and they to a very small Catholic University for two years. It was affordable, no one has ever asked about my degree. OK, it isn't no Ivy League school but I don't think my career would have been any different if I paid another 40K to say I graduated from so in so college.

B

Last edited by kg4fxg on 23 Feb 2012, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2012, 4:17 pm

I currently have a Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering and I am working on getting my PhD in Biostatistics.