Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 8:16 pm

The_Sleeper wrote:
But it's so funny... ;)

Only to the person watching who doesn't feel like a bolt of electricity just ripped through their head.

I startle easily.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

kirksfollygirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2012, 9:56 pm

well it doesnt help that we are both short lol

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2012, 2:58 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Yep, I startle easily.

I identify with self-diagnosed SPD comorbid to my Asperger's.

So, it may be related to SPD?
Interesting. Due to an intense sensory perception...though I guess, another explanation could be a high focus on a certain task, as well.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 4:52 pm

This is a common trait is Aspies. I think it's my most common trait I've got. I think it also comes from being anxious and irritable aswell.

At the charity shop where I am currently volunteering, there is a little button what the person on the till presses if they need help, and it makes a little thing buzz in the back room where we sort out donations, and it makes such a loud buzz that every time it goes off I almost jump 6 feet into the air. It sometimes makes other people jump, especially if the room is quiet, but it makes me jump every time, and in the end people will start thinking I'm doing it on purpose just to get attention, which is not the case at all. I cannot help my nerves at all.

My brother startles me when he yawns loudly. His yawns drown out every other sound in the room, and it's a stupid sound that doesn't have to be made. Now he knows it annoys me, he does it even louder, but even if I pretended it didn't annoy me, he will still do it loud because it is a stupid habit he's got himself into. Nobody else seems to be bothered by it, but it startles me big time. It just sends a wave of irritation through my body, making me become slightly irresponsible for my actions - I shout at him angrily. Now I can't be in the same room as him now because I am on edge that he is going to do it, and he doesn't just do it once, he does it every time he yawns, and he yawns a lot. And telling him nicely not to do it doesn't work on my brother - he will just do it more and not care how I feel. I have sensitive nerves and he doesn't need to make such a loud roar when he yawns.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

I'm not sure if I'm startled easily, but I have a related problem. I call things the equivalent of 'help!! !' and 'omg!! !' even before I know if I have a reason to be scared, and I'm not entirely sure why I do.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:17 pm

Anyone else scream when startled? Thankfully, I only do that at home. I happens when I'm very much in my own space, either home alone or in the bedroom alone, and someone enters that space. If I'm in that space alone, and absorbed in what I'm doing, and someone (always my husband, since it's just the two of us) comes into the space, a scream comes out. And it's not at all an emotional reaction. In fact, often, by the time the scream comes out, I know very well it's just my husband, no problem, but it's too late to not scream. Like, the figuring out what's happening process takes less time than the trigger to scream process.

In other places, I may sometimes startle, and even yell out when doing so, but not the same kind of scream in the situation at home that I described.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 1:06 am

i am prone to exclaiming "GAAAAAAA!! !!" when startled :oops:

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 1:56 pm

Reports are, I startle in my sleep.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 1:58 pm

I do too, that's when my heartbeat is the fastest.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:01 pm

Absolutely. I get on autopilot mode & then someone will call my name. Jump a mile. My boss is bad at doing this. Worse, he doesn't at all, so I'm denied my revenge! LOL

Sincerely,
Matthew