Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

It seems the the opinion leaders of the American conservative movement are almost proud of their pandering to racists. Be it the Southern Strategy, supporting Apartheid South Africa, or welcoming White Nationalists to their conferences, they're quite blatant.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMhwKWU7mMg[/youtube]

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

It's just more constructive to ignore conservatives completely. The corporate-owned media in this country makes that a difficult task, however.

Your Aspie score: 130 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
EQ Score: 37/100 ("low empathy")

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 1:23 pm

Would the democrats allow communists and anarchists to attend their special club meetings?

The thing that annoys me more than misused statistics is guilt by association. I'm certain I read somewhere that it's a fallacy. For all the meaningful criticisms of republican policies that can be made, why? Just why?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 1:32 pm

kestrel wrote:
Would the democrats allow communists and anarchists to attend their special club meetings?

The thing that annoys me more than misused statistics is guilt by association. I'm certain I read somewhere that it's a fallacy. For all the meaningful criticisms of republican policies that can be made, why? Just why?

The problem, of course, with the analogy is that it's something different entirely when you exercise such control over who attends your conference that you tell very conservative gays and lesbians (GoProud) to stay out. When you allow white nationalists in but very conservative gays and lessbians are barred, that shows an extremely skewed priority system.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
kestrel wrote:

The problem, of course, with the analogy is that it's something different entirely when you exercise such control over who attends your conference that you tell very conservative gays and lesbians (GoProud) to stay out. When you allow white nationalists in but very conservative gays and lessbians are barred, that shows an extremely skewed priority system.

It's demographic control. The Democrats do the same thing. They probably spent days debating who should and should not attend based on a statistical analysis of the demographics, and excluded those with too small of a voter-base (and controversial baggage).

Since I don't ever vote republican, I have no complaints over how skewed their process is. The republican and democrat politicians follow the same policies in practice, they merely put a different rhetorical spin on it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 1:56 pm

Clearly if Cenk Uygur says something it it must be true. He's a selfless beacon of objectivity.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:11 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Clearly if Cenk Uygur says something it it must be true. He's a selfless beacon of objectivity.

I see that, in you're intellectual laziness, instead of actually stating facts that refute the claim you've just poisoned the well. Kudos.

Regardless, nobody is a "bacon of objectivity" and most supposedly "straight" news sources just trade in clearly articulated beliefs and opinions for more subtle biases.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:14 pm

Magdalena wrote:
It's just more constructive to ignore conservatives completely. The corporate-owned media in this country makes that a difficult task, however.

BBC and DWtv are your friends.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:19 pm

I like RT, personally.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:21 pm

kestrel wrote:
I like RT, personally.

RT and NHK too.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

kestrel wrote:

How can you lump communists and anarchists in with white supremacists? That's just... wrong

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

Master_Pedant wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

I see that, in you're intellectual laziness, instead of actually stating facts that refute the claim you've just poisoned the well. Kudos.

Regardless, nobody is a "bacon of objectivity" and most supposedly "straight" news sources just trade in clearly articulated beliefs and opinions for more subtle biases.

The thing that amazes me with videos like this; he can't even come up with drive-by media snippits to brace his spin. You might as well put a random anyone with an opinion in front of monitors in a swivel chair and call it official business.

I can say this with full assurance is I spent a good day or so watching CPAC and this kind of thing is pure Onion. If you want to argue that a racist slipped in and that CPAC should have been watching that closer - fine, do that. Your OP takes it to the extrema that conservatives are proudly supporting white supremacy.

As for nerve or laziness though, did you even bother reading the bellicose of your own OP?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:25 pm

Regardless of Tech's prejudiced and lazy well poisoning, it's a FACT that Brimelow was at CPAC.

Alexa Traffic Rank for http://cpac2012.conservative.org/2012-agenda: 139,035cpac2012.conservative.org/2012-agenda

It's also a FACT that Brimelow is affiliated with VDARE and white nationalism.

http://www.vdare.com/users/peter-brimelow

http://www.splcenter.org/vdare-foundation

It's also a FACT that GOProud was disallowed from attending CPAC (the link below contains some stupid f*cking reason as to why it makes sense).

http://www.redstate.com/neil_stevens/20 ... -and-cpac/

So, all in all, Cenk Uygur's FACTS are correct.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Your OP takes it to the extrema that conservatives are proudly supporting white supremacy.

As for nerve or laziness though, did you even bother reading the bellicose of your own OP?

Not only did I read my OP, I also wrote it. Did you read it?

Also, being polemical is not the same as being "intellectually lazy".

Master_Pedant wrote:
It seems the the opinion leaders of the American conservative movement are almost proud of their pandering to racists.

Opinion leaders of the conservative movement "pandering to" racists is the same as "supporting White supremacy". I second glance, maybe I should have added the quantifier/qualifier "many".

Master_Pedant wrote:
Be it the Southern Strategy, supporting Apartheid South Africa, or welcoming White Nationalists to their conferences, they're quite blatant.

These are three pretty well-substantiated facts. The Southern Strategy was quite blatantly about getting many of the more racist Dixiecrats to jump ship and the College Republican National Committee had quite cordial relations with the Apartheid regime.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm

Vigilans wrote:
kestrel wrote:

How can you lump communists and anarchists in with white supremacists? That's just... wrong

not only that, but my limited knowledge of american politics leads me to understand that the democrats are far, far, far closer to the american right than they are to communism, anarchism etc.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:13 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

The thing that amazes me with videos like this; he can't even come up with drive-by media snippits to brace his spin. You might as well put a random anyone with an opinion in front of monitors in a swivel chair and call it official business.

I can say this with full assurance is I spent a good day or so watching CPAC and this kind of thing is pure Onion. If you want to argue that a racist slipped in and that CPAC should have been watching that closer - fine, do that. Your OP takes it to the extrema that conservatives are proudly supporting white supremacy.

Those idiots just didn't slip in while the ticket taker at the door was distracted; they were invited. And in fact, there was a time slot allotted to them, in which they had planned to discuss how Republicans should mobilize the white vote. I don't know if C-PAC had ended up being shamed out of this by media and Democratic requests to uninvite them, or if it was allowed to go ahead.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer