Oh god! Make it stop! Ads with sound in them....

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

clthomps
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2012, 7:49 pm

I have to close the page every time I click on a forum topic and one of the ads had sound going. It drives me nuts, the biggest pain is the "lorax" trailer it seems to pop-up every time i visit.

Please for the love of all that is holy refuse to host ads that spam obnoxious sounds...

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm

I was about to post this exact same thing.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 10:35 pm

I posted a thread earlier.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Feb 2012, 9:51 am

Sorry - there's nothing the moderators can do about it, or the video ads. :cry:
I use Firefox with AdblockPlus and see none of it - on any site, unless I choose to.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:07 am

I had to put the computer on mute. Holy jarring advertisement!

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2012, 10:31 am

It's worse when two play simultaneously. I have an ad blocker, so I thankfully don't have to hear them.

Lyll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2012, 11:32 am

I have none, and I use firefox and addblock too.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 4:24 pm

Alex has asked before that we please not use ad blocking extensions, as it is the ads that pay for the site. I actually did honor his request for a while. Sadly, it was the spastic "You are a winner" ads, and these audio ads that started blasting me out of my chair that have led me to re-enable ABP on WP.

Sorry Alex, but until some way can be found to stop these types of ads altogether, I can't have audio ads waking up my family in the middle of the night.

The other ads, flashing and whatever, can be blocked individually with ABP, but I haven't found any way to block the audio ads since I can't tell where they are coming from. I could, if I were willing to find the sources using Firebug, but I really shouldn't have to go to extremes to find them and block them.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

tsukaima
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2012, 3:21 am

MrXxx wrote:
Alex has asked before that we please not use ad blocking extensions, as it is the ads that pay for the site. I actually did honor his request for a while. Sadly, it was the spastic "You are a winner" ads, and these audio ads that started blasting me out of my chair that have led me to re-enable ABP on WP.

Sorry Alex, but until some way can be found to stop these types of ads altogether, I can't have audio ads waking up my family in the middle of the night.

The other ads, flashing and whatever, can be blocked individually with ABP, but I haven't found any way to block the audio ads since I can't tell where they are coming from. I could, if I were willing to find the sources using Firebug, but I really shouldn't have to go to extremes to find them and block them.

Agreed.

Google gives options to block multimedia ads. The site admins need to use them. The pay isn't always as high on static ads, but they drive fewer users to BLOCK the ads.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 5:15 am

Anyone who doesn't use adblocking software is t3h n000000000000b :P

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 11:27 am

^ I so agree!

I don't think Plank would listen to us. IMO, he's too preoccupied with those noisy ads that are so noisy, they literally drown our complaints.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Mar 2012, 11:31 am

^^ I think that's being a little unfair, and I seriously doubt Alex has deliberately said "Oh yeah, noisy and video ads are just fine - no-one will be bothered so pile 'em in!".

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 11:33 am

As I already have opioid based medication from my doctor for my chronic ailments, the Nurofen ad is kind of wasted on me. :roll:

All it does is remind me I am in pain. :evil:

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 11:46 am

Cornflake, while I understand that it could be unfair, of course, that, in my book, would be the impression that some users like myself would have upon seeing those stuff. I know you mods yourselves would want to get rid of those noisy and annoying ads, but it's given -- you can only do so much about it.

Only Plank can do something about it. But I doubt he will.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Mar 2012, 11:50 am

theimperiousdork wrote:
Cornflake, while I understand that it could be unfair, of course, that, in my book, would be the impression that some users like myself would have upon seeing those stuff. I know you mods yourselves would want to get rid of those noisy and annoying ads, but it's given -- you can only do so much about it.
It's not something we have any control over and to be honest, I doubt Alex was aware this sort of content would be included in the ad. feed - it's probably just something the company providing the feed does, for any subscriber of their service.

Quote:
Have you tried sending Alex a PM to find out?

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 12:01 pm

Cornflake wrote:
theimperiousdork wrote:
It's not something we have any control over and to be honest, I doubt Alex was aware this sort of content would be included in the ad. feed - it's probably just something the company providing the feed does, for any subscriber of their service.

Thank you for pointing that out, but can the owner do something about it?

Cornflake wrote:
theimperiousdork wrote:
Have you tried sending Alex a PM to find out?

I've sent him PMs, to no avail, that is why I am having that bad impression about it.