Rolling on the floor making tractor and animal sounds

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Transhuman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2012, 8:05 pm

purchase wrote:
Out of curiosity, if you knew how to use a spoon when you were two and half, why did someone else feed you for much longer?

Because I didn't feed myself with it. I would just sit in front of the dish and not eat it at all, or maybe eat 1-2 spoons.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 8:30 pm

Is it your way of dealing with sensory overload? My ways of dealing with sensory overload involves making movements and noises repetitively, maybe you are doing your activities for similar reasons?

Transhuman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2012, 5:00 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Is it your way of dealing with sensory overload? My ways of dealing with sensory overload involves making movements and noises repetitively, maybe you are doing your activities for similar reasons?

I don't think so. I do this because doing so makes me feel fulfilled. During sensory overload (if it happens in public) I usually lock myself in the bathroom and sit staring at one point, because my processing functions start breaking down to the point that my brain won't even process the environment around me - it will 'see' it, but it won't conceptualize it.
Ex: I will see a chair, but my brain won't tell me that it's a chair.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 5:06 am

Wow, this is one heavy thread.

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 6:24 am

Transhuman wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

I don't think so. I do this because doing so makes me feel fulfilled. During sensory overload (if it happens in public) I usually lock myself in the bathroom and sit staring at one point, because my processing functions start breaking down to the point that my brain won't even process the environment around me - it will 'see' it, but it won't conceptualize it.
Ex: I will see a chair, but my brain won't tell me that it's a chair.

Sounds more like you're bent on CREATING sensory overload in others!

Someone suggested doing sports.

That or maybe you oughtta get on stage and try singing or comedy or drama, so you can be forced to verbially vent.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 6:30 am

Why? Transhuman doesn't bother anyone with what they're doing - I don't think so, anyway.

Transhuman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2012, 7:50 am

Bun wrote:
Why? Transhuman doesn't bother anyone with what they're doing - I don't think so, anyway.

My neighbors had to call the police 2 times. Each time, they arrived with assault rifles because they thought somebody was being murdered.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 7:58 am

I lie on the floor, hum to myself, rub the carpet... Sure, I do some "weird" things. But like the OP says, they're satisfying to do. They don't hurt anybody; so why not, right?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 8:17 am

Transhuman wrote:
Bun wrote:

My neighbors had to call the police 2 times. Each time, they arrived with assault rifles because they thought somebody was being murdered.

Then do it more bodily and less vocally.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 2:42 pm

Bun wrote:

Are you addressing me?

Obviously he BOTHERS people, but obviously he isnt out to do it on puropose. I meant that the daily stress builds up inside him and for some reason he has an exagerrated need to vent verbally and phsically. So why not find a venue where vocal venting is not only acceptible but even demanded of a person. Like becoming the lead singer of an emo band?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 6:24 pm

But that kind of venting might not work for him. It may even cause more stress. It would, for me.

You ask an autistic person to "vent" in the NT way, and it's often useless or worse than useless. And this is pretty much completely harmless.

Most I'd say is, don't do it in front of people who don't know you and thus don't know that this is normal for you. They might get worried about you for no reason.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 7:40 pm

Transhuman wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Transhuman wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Transhuman wrote:
What I noticed is that half to 2/3 of the actions which I do when I do "this" are exactly the same as those with low functioning autism do.

You don't have many melt downs either; I'm willing to bet.

TheSunAlsoRises

Well, very often (usually 0.5 to 2 times a day), I get angry and annoyed to such a point that I start punching walls and breaking things around me. This usually happens usually when I'm preoccupied with my activity and someone keeps distracting me by saying irrelevant stuff, or when I feel very empty and frustrated. I also scream when I'm doing this - usually swearing.

I do it with such intensity that my neighbors have called the police 2 times. Both of the times, they arrived with assault rifles.

I also feel like I can relate to the LFA people a lot for some reason.

Your developmental trajectory was unique. Described strictly from a behavioral stand point; i imagine people would classify you as so-called low functioning. Ahhhhh, but from an intellectual perspective; you would be considered so-called high functioning and YET your innate tendencies lean more toward Kanners autism then Aspergers autism.

Let me form my question this way: IF i took your stims away via tractor sounds, rolling on the bed, hand waving, etc. Do you think you would have more or less meltdowns than you normally do?

TheSunAlsoRises

I would start feeling empty and unfulfilled, as well as very frustrated. These noises/actions make me feel very fulfilled, and if they would get taken away, I would assume I would assume I would have more meltdowns. What I noticed is that I often use some of these noises when communicating with people. I try not to, but when I start feeling like I could relate to the person, I often do. I would tell them something like "I'm a tractor beep beep", or make cat sounds.

As for the developmental trajectory: I also didn't dress myself completely until the age of 12-13. I was spoon-fed until the age of 11, but I knew how to use my spoon when I was around 2 years old and half.

I also tend to feel very overwhelmed by the real world and all of it's demands, to the point that my mind goes blank and I just walk around like a zombie.

Quite a few people would look at your behavior and conclude that you are obviously hypo-sensitive. They would suggest THAT you are creating external stimuli in order to compensate for weak response mechanism(s). I wouldn't necessarily agree with that assertion.

I'm curious about something. Were you ever given any type of behavioral modification therapy ? Were there any attempts by healthcare professionals to change your stim behaviors and aggressive outbursts ? When did these major aggressive outbursts begin(those that warrant police showing up with assault rifles)? Have they (aggressive outbursts) become worse over-time?

TheSunAlsoRises