Autism or Asperger's... it might depend on your doctor

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 9:45 am

I was diagnosed with autistic tendencies back in the day, and my son has been classified as HFA. Neither one of us had delayed speech, but he did have speech therapy in school. He gets support in school for organization and help transitioning, and I have managed to blunder about on my own and kind of learn on the way.
I'm wondering if we would fit the current or upcoming definitions of HFA, especially with the changes that seem to be coming up in the DSM-5. It would be sad if we were considered too well functioning, because I've seen what a huge help that little guidance and support can make in a situation. Especially if that became unavailable to people it would enormously benefit.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 11:37 am

Callista wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Alexender wrote:
Tony attwood (reading his book on aspergers) says that hfa and aspergers are probably the same thing. and if someone would be HFA then they should be diagnosed as aspergers. It is all just semantics

What exactly defines HFA? and what exactly defines LFA....Also, maybe MFA(Medium functioning Autism) should be added to this.
There really is no official definition. Like AS and autism, HFA/MFA/LFA are entirely up to the doctor's perspective, and every doctor sees it differently.

Better terms would probably be to talk about mild versus severe disability; that is a more practical way of talking that focuses on how much help you need; so, for example, I am autistic and need help at least every week, but not daily, which is classified as "limited support". Someone who needs help every day might need "extensive" or "pervasive" support; someone who only needs help sometimes (like looking for a job for example) would need "intermittent support". Those are much more concrete terms and I prefer them over functioning labels.

Quote:
late onset autism, never heard of that...I've heard typically people with LFA have language delays and typically people with HFA don't but I have a hard time seeing how that necessarily reflects the level of functioning they will go on to have.
Late onset autism exists, but it's pretty rare. It's also known as "childhood disintegrative disorder", and it happens when a kid with relatively normal development starts losing skills. It's also known as Heller syndrome, and it usually results in severe disability in adulthood, with all the traits of autism. Rett syndrome, which has a known genetic cause, also causes this sort of loss-of-skills.

Usually though, what you get is either no loss of skills, or falling behind at some point (like, the kid keeps up until age two, and then falls behind their peers), or stress-related skill loss (like you get a kid who starts school and stops talking because it's just so much to process that the brain drops the speech)--stress-related is usually reversible when you get out of that situation and either re-learn or just regain access to the skill.

Hmm, I guess what bothers me is I am sure according to the professionals I'd be considered HFA, on account of not needing 'help' every day. But I personally don't feel very high functioning, and lately I've been noticing how dysfunctional I really am, I mean I am 22 and still have rather severe sensory issues....a half hour in wal-mart practically shuts me down so I am reduced to a brain dead zombie, too much loudness and chaos can literally stop me from being able to hear my own thoughts so I can't even think or do much or it takes me quite a while to process before I can do anything. I really, really noticeably come off as having something off about me to others, which can cause some problems not to mention even though I have learned about eye contact, can recognize body language I still cannot typically make eye contact and cannot process body language when interacting..........but then again I have some other conditions as well so that could have some to do with it. I just feel like the categorization could use some improvement.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 1:26 pm

Just because you don't need help from another person every day doesn't mean that you don't have a significant disability. For a physical analogue, think of spinal cord injuries--say, a low quad or a paraplegic, completely independent except for really specific circumstances like getting around non-wheelchair-accessible areas. You wouldn't say they weren't disabled, and like any disabled person they have to do things differently and take longer to do them.

There are many ways you can measure disability, and the scales aren't all the same. The ones I like are the ones that are useful for providing services--like the ones that say, "This person will need an aide every day," or, "This person can manage on their own except in special circumstances or high-stress periods." Or the ones that say how well you're managing at home and at school. Things like that. Those scales aren't supposed to measure your subjective well-being, nor should they, because there's no relationship between how much you like your life and how much you can do on your own.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 2:38 pm

Callista wrote:
Just because you don't need help from another person every day doesn't mean that you don't have a significant disability. For a physical analogue, think of spinal cord injuries--say, a low quad or a paraplegic, completely independent except for really specific circumstances like getting around non-wheelchair-accessible areas. You wouldn't say they weren't disabled, and like any disabled person they have to do things differently and take longer to do them.

There are many ways you can measure disability, and the scales aren't all the same. The ones I like are the ones that are useful for providing services--like the ones that say, "This person will need an aide every day," or, "This person can manage on their own except in special circumstances or high-stress periods." Or the ones that say how well you're managing at home and at school. Things like that. Those scales aren't supposed to measure your subjective well-being, nor should they, because there's no relationship between how much you like your life and how much you can do on your own.

I am saying regardless of how much I enjoy or don't enjoy my life......I would not describe myself as a high functioning individual. But I get that obviously someone who needs help on a daily basis in order to survive is more severely disabled than me. To me high functioning seems to indicate someone who does not have a lot of trouble functioning so I guess I just don't like the wording.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 6:29 pm

Ah. Well--I don't like "high functioning" as a term, to begin with. There's the implication that you're not "allowed" to have any of the problems they associated with "low functioning" people, and that you don't really need help, you just need to try harder. And of course if they label you "low functioning", then that means you are not allowed to have any of the skills that "high functioning" people have, and will be underestimated and assumed to be incapable until (and perhaps not even if) you prove otherwise. It's frustrating. This is why I don't like functioning labels as global as that. I would much rather make a statement like, "I require limited support" or "my latest GAF rating was 45." Those are much more specific and don't paint over everything with such a broad brush.

Autism Memorial:

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 7:27 pm

I always thought the only difference between HFA and AS is speech delays. AS kids had normal speech development (but might have communication troubles of course, speech and communication are different things). HFA have delayed or various issues with speech and tend to fall into PDD-NOS category as children. As adults they're probably exactly the same.

The clinics here tend to put most kids into PDD-NOS. It's actually very rare for a child to get Asperger's diagnosis.

I think if you didn't get diagnosed when you were little, you pretty much can't know if you have HFA or Asperger's. Mom's memory probably isn't all that reliable. If you ask my mom she'd say what a perfect child I was and just an angel, not a single problem. My own memory go back to only age 3, and I remember lots of meltdowns, echolalia, weird interests, very picky about food taste and texture, and never playing with other children. My grandma who watched me when I was a baby said I never cried, which of course was just wonderful for my mom and add to the picture of the perfect childhood. :)

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

27 Feb 2012, 8:06 pm

I remember reading about this. Sometimes the diagnosis depends on the doctor and where you live.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 8:25 pm

Well, HFA isn't really a dx anyway, in my understanding. Its classical autism where the person is pretty functional, able to partly cope, etc. as opposed to Asperger's, which is also autism but seems to have distinct features, like clumsiness/motor problems (me 100%!).
The old viiew was more severe autism was related to mental retardation. Says who? Read Donna Williams comments about "Alex" an autistic boy everyone thought was severely ret*d. He just didn't speak, he could write like any adult when given a typewriter/WP. It would be best for everyone if the professionals forget Mental Retardation unless clearly demonstrated. oops, I'm digressing
Truthfully, each of us is his or her own person. Generalities will probably fail, people cannot be neatly fitted into categories like everyone seems to think.

Sincerely,
Matthew

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 9:55 pm

I'm fairly certain the main criteria that separates aspies from classic autistics is a developmental delay in very early life.

The low functioning/high functioning is an IQ label applied to the autism condition, which just represents mental ret*d/not mental ret*d.

mild/moderate/severe is a label attached to autism condition that represents level of dependance on caregivers and support.

pdd-nos is a catch all for any form of autism that is not clearly diagnosed as classic or asperger.

I think that's how it works...in theory, at least. Whether or not someone gets the most accurate diagnosis is dependent on opinion, so will naturally vary based on who is diagnosing.

KittyCommand0r
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2012, 2:08 am

Seems about right. I was diagnosed with Aspergers, even though I had a reading delay and speech issues that required me to be in speech therapy when I was growing up.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 4:33 am

I was Diagnosed at a younger age with HFA due to speech delays and Aspergers was not as known in the 80s. I might have both HFA and AS due to this. If it is possible to have both. Not only would I be an Aspie but an Aspinaut 8O

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 4:51 am

It may depend on what your doctor had for breakfast that morning.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 4:59 am

So, does this mean HFA include AS? That AS is a sub-group of HFA?

I suspect some of those clinics give them the "autism" label because that's what the schools need to get extra funding to help the kids. Sure Asperger's is a type of autism, but some school districts might not have a category ID for that. You need correct codes and IDs to apply for anything. Calling them "autistic" might make the paperwork a lot easier.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 8:07 am

y-pod wrote:
So, does this mean HFA include AS? That AS is a sub-group of HFA?
AS is a sub-group of autism, and not a well-defined one at that! Not all Aspies are "high-functioning" by many definitions. There are quite a few of us who can't live alone and do need daily help. I say we dump functioning labels, merge autism into a big category, and deal with the fact that autism can be very diverse. I know some doctors don't want to do that, because that means they might have to (*gasp!*) actually look at the individual person instead of stereotyping them by diagnosis, but they're a smart bunch and they'll adapt. They'd better, anyway, or I'll be flaming them on my blog. :lol:

Autism Memorial:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 2:57 pm

How eggsacly are clinicians diagnosing Asperger's in children nowadays? Are they basing it entirely on speech delay or lack thereof, or how much the child talks and interacts with them in the office, or VIQ, or following an Asperger's child stereotype? Each person probably uses a different Very Important Criterion, I guess, and that is why diagnoses are so inconsistent across sites.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:08 am

btbnnyr wrote:
How eggsacly are clinicians diagnosing Asperger's in children nowadays? Are they basing it entirely on speech delay or lack thereof, or how much the child talks and interacts with them in the office, or VIQ, or following an Asperger's child stereotype? Each person probably uses a different Very Important Criterion, I guess, and that is why diagnoses are so inconsistent across sites.

Eggsacly! Although they don't use VIQ/PIQ any more, as they are discontinued in the WAIS / WISC-IV, so they might use the 4 sub-indexes instead.