Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 3:40 am

http://news.yahoo.com/hell-barack-row-o ... 19392.html

The ad was about Obama letting government bureaucrats run the national healthcare system.

What are your thoughts? Was it uncalled for, or is it considered free speech?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2012, 3:52 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/hell-barack-row-over-washington-metro-ad-051919392.html

The ad was about Obama letting government bureaucrats run the national healthcare system.

well in australia we get plenty of stuff like that for julia gillard.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 6:08 am

The ad falls under free speech. What people need to understand, but keep forgetting, is that you don't have to like every bit of free speech out there, and chances are there will be plenty you don't like, but the opposing views have as much right to comment, as do you and those who share your views. In America, just because someone doesn't like a particular comment, doesn't give them the right to shut up the commenter. Read the Constitution. It makes it very clear. And yes, sometimes people will use rather strong language to express themselves, especially when they feel strongly about a topic.

There are common sense exceptions to free speech. You are not allowed to slander or libel people and you are not allowed to incite people to violence, or to create a panic, like shouting fire in a crowded place when there is no fire, because people can get trampled to death trying to get away from a non existing fire. But for the most part you have the right to say what you want.

Political and religious speech can generate a lot of heat, often a lot of strong language, and often some nasty allegations. It is up to the person being accused to decide whether to challenge the accusations, or to let it go, or to admit them. Our country was built on political and religious freedom. Trying to shut up opposing views is illegal, and undermines the ideals that this country was founded on.

Don't worry about the strongly worded ad on the bus. It is Obama's place to decide how he wants to respond to it, or even if he wants to address the issue at all.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:28 am

I think the two questions are not the same. Yes, it was free speech and yes it was uncalled for. The people who ran that add are entitled to their opinion, of course, but I don't find anything inherently wrong with government-regulated healthcare. Frankly, it baffles me that many Americans flip out about it. So..

Nothing is absolute.

Last edited by myth on 02 Mar 2012, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:46 am

Not a huge fan of unfettered free speech, but in this case I would say this free speech is justified.

After all, I would be complete utter hypocrite if I said otherwise. I would always find joy when Bush was being attacked publicly. To say that Obama doesn't deserve the same treatment would be extremely hypocritical.

I guess I feel like free speech needs to be looser rather than tighter against people in power. Obviously this would be abuse and harassment if a random nobody civilian was told out on an ad and told to go to hell, but I think with great power also comes great responsibility, to give a Spiderman quote. So part of responsibility is the ability to take attacks from others. I think if we take away this power from people, we are undermining the power of free speech and liberty.

I am not anti-Obama but I am not pro-Obama either.

The point is though, as long as there is no blatant misinformation given about Obama concerning specific acts or policies, I think telling him to go to hell is simply a freedom of emotional expression and not true slander.

There is a purpose behind the ad, there is an intent, there is a very deep cause, and this is what separate very simple harassment from true free speech in my opinion.

To go on a tangent, I think burning of flags should be legal as well. It's all the same.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 9:43 am

I agree with Questor: this clearly falls under free speech.

As for whether this ad is called for, I don't think so. The whole thing about government bureaucrats becoming your doctors, is gross exagerated. I live in a country with a slightly more socialized health care system than what Obama wants, and I actually like it this way.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 9:50 am

I think what I was trying to say was that if it were made 4 years ago and were about Bush, people would be cheering. But now that it's 2012 and about Obama, people are freaking out.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 10:10 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I think what I was trying to say was that if it were made 4 years ago and were about Bush, people would be cheering. But now that it's 2012 and about Obama, people are freaking out.

It doesn't sound that shocking compared to "burn in hell" which would have been good to say about Bush four years ago.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What are your thoughts?

...and that's all I have to say...

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

I don't consider "Go to hell" a statement acceptable in the political process. If that is the standard by which political debates are settled to the common American I feel sorry for your country

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:38 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/hell-barack-row-over-washington-metro-ad-051919392.html

It IS free speech and free press and guaranteed by the U.S. Constituion.

ruveyn

tourettebassist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2012, 1:47 pm

Condemning someone to hell in such a public manner is uncalled for, especially to disrespect the president of the USA. Barack's final judgement will come from a higher source. In fact, telling anyone to "go to hell" is kind of a Jr. High School approach.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 1:49 pm

Free speech I would call it. People who are upset by it are probably Obama supporters.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Free speech I would call it. People who are upset by it are probably Obama supporters.

Bush supporters were freaking out about how Doonesbury portrayed their great leader.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2012, 7:13 pm

I'm fine with Obama and also agree with questor and ruveyn. Hell isn't even a real place, unless you're talking about earth or the people who inhabit it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

I don't exactly disagree with the ad, sorry if that offends anyone.