Issues with expressing thoughts accurately?

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 1:50 am

megymegan,

"EDIT: Sigh.. even reading what I have written now - it doesn't look right to me. These words are not what my thoughts are. I don't know how to change it to say what I mean. It doesn't look like what I'm thinking. I can't even explain myself properly."

I know exactly what you mean, I do this all the time, even after I typed the OP. It's constant for me and I can't remember ever not feeling that way, I feel this way pretty much every time I open my mouth or write a post.

nerdymama,

"I think its difficult to communicate my thoughts a lot of the time because I tend to group concepts that are undefined. There are no words to describe this particular thing or concept but its something I understand very well because I have observed it or thought about it often enough. I think maybe I store information in undefined chuncks and when Im talking to someone and am expected to explain myself its difficult to determine where to begin and to figure out which pieces are relevant. Its not like you can just stop and explain that whole undefined concept in detail and then just continue on with the conversation like nothing happened."

I think this is part of my problem too, I already have defined concepts or things I have observed repeatedly and tend to factor that into the equation without realising I'm even doing it. Everything that comes out of my mouth (or from my fingers) is predicated on the assumption that other people either know what I'm talking about and that it would be natural to factor in those concepts too (which usually they don't and therefore they can't understand).

Stumbelina,

"I have this problem. I feel like I cant explain or get my point across.. I am much better at writing stuff down. I constantly feel stupid. Its like there is a bad connection from my brain to my mouth. Its so frustrating."

That's exactly what it feels like, like some connection from my brain in the communication department simply isn't there or that it's really underdeveloped. The problem is that I know I'm not stupid, I know it's the exact opposite but this makes me feel stupid and frustrates the hell out of me.

Jtuk,

"My therapist this week asked me to describe what I was thinking after we had discussed a few things and I was completely unable to formulate a response. It is almost as though it's far too big a question to answer in a few sentences, at other times it feels like I go into loop.. Thinking about what I'm thinking, changes what I'm thinking, so I always endup thinking about how I think, which I can't answer either."

Oh yeaup, don't even get me started on the endless loops thing. That happens pretty constantly and I end up not being able to answer either. If I do manage to answer, it will inevitability be misunderstood.

For the record, I have studied some things in my spare time, particularly vocabulary, which I'm getting much better at when I actually remember to use it. It definitely hasn't fixed this issue though. It's almost like this comes down to massive organisation and how to explain undefined concepts that you take for granted if you can even quantity those concepts, which is another roadblock.

Is there anyone who has strategies that have helped them improve or overcome this issue?