how do you come too terms with this?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm

Jamesy wrote:
i read up that at least 80 percent of individuals with aspergers syndrome NEVER have long term relationships.

how does one come too terms with something as grim as that?

i can imagine its not hard too deal with for aspies who don't care for relationships but for the one's that do it just makes you want too give up all hope in life :(

One might ask oneself: "Why are you going to let one statistic run your life?"

boblol
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2012, 5:28 pm

how exactly are these 80 percent supposed to hold down a relationship when they have to devote so much time to bitter wp posts?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 5:44 pm

While that number seems to be pulled out of thin air, it stands to reason that aspies have a hard time finding a partner and maintaining a relationship. I mean, we have problems with social interaction and friendships in general. For people who can't maintain a normal friendship, which includes myself, a romantic and/or sexual relationship is entirely out of the question.

How does one cope with that? Get one or more cats, become a bitter old cynic. I haven't found a better way as of yet. Sooner or later, science and the free market will hopefully address this problem and create life-like androids or virtual reality simulations that keep lonely people emotionally healthy. Until then, all we can do is distract us with meaningless things and somehow make it through the day.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 6:31 pm

Depends what the statistic means.

Does it mean if you don't try or if you make an effort?

If it's the former, you CAN reduce the likelihood of living alone by making a relationship work.

Besides, these things are always in flux so the likelihood of everything will always change depending on circumstances...same as an asteroid hitting the Earth with a direct hit...these scientists merely go over the likelihood over a thousand times to obtain an "average", which is how statistics are created for something that isn't certain.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 2:05 am

Childhood and teenage immaturity is the real reason.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 2:56 am

Lonermutant wrote:

It's a shame that it seems to last forever for many aspies :? I'm 40 years old, but my emotional age is 16 or 17.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 3:00 am

boblol wrote:
how exactly are these 80 percent supposed to hold down a relationship when they have to devote so much time to bitter wp posts?

I have no idea, but do you think it's a good idea to use someone else's RL photo as your forum avatar? That's Kirsten Lindsmith, unless I'm mistaken.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 5:23 am

Lonermutant wrote:

I agree that schooling and educational institutions are geared towards socializing in an easier environment to develop those fundamental social skills, many people on the spectrum may have trouble grasping the fundamental skills of socializing at school. This leaves them underdeveloped when it comes to making friends and the dating world, it also gives everyone around them the advantage since they have grasped the social rules.

In other words, we have to throw ourselves in a dangerous situation or risk without knowing the consequences whereas people that aren't on the spectrum have a sensor on the situation before they step into it.

The only way for those of us on the spectrum to learn is to take the hard road and learn from trial and error, broken relationships or romances and misunderstandings. I hope that now we are increasing the awareness of Autism, more children will be able to learn about socializing or love and dating, perhaps even from these forums.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 5:51 am

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:

It's a shame that it seems to last forever for many aspies :? I'm 40 years old, but my emotional age is 16 or 17.

Mine is 13...

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 6:57 am

guys please, stop calling it a "statistic". it's a BS number taken out of thin air.

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 9:11 am

Jamesy wrote:
i read up that at least 80 percent of individuals with aspergers syndrome NEVER have long term relationships.

how does one come too terms with something as grim as that?

i can imagine its not hard too deal with for aspies who don't care for relationships but for the one's that do it just makes you want too give up all hope in life :(

That's easy, assume that the source you've got that percentage from is absolute b*llocks because it more then likely is.

None of my relationships have ever lasted longer then a few months but that was because of either incompatability or because they proved themselves to be liars & hypocrites (usually the latter) Having AS has never been much of a problem for me, my bad taste in women is much more a hinderance when it comes to finding a long term relationship.

People with AS need to stop assuming that everytime a relationship doesn't work out its always because of AS, more often then not, that won't be the main/only issue.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:

Mine is 13...

i know you are but what am i.......around 13-15
this is the main point, thats why you can't limit it to aspie's. immaturity runs though all personalitys

and yes stop using the word statistic, it's not