People already suspecting you have Asperger's

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

VeggieGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2012, 1:10 pm

I have recently been "coming out" to people about having Asperger's, and it has been very freeing. I have told a few people, and, to my surprised, they weren't surprised! :o Two of them told me that they had even suspected that I have it! I had been so worried about people not believing me, but apparently that hasn't happened even once (actually, my little sister didn't think I had AS when I told her, but I don't think she has a great conceptualization of what it is). Coming out to people has been a really positive experience for me so far. My therapist had encouraged me, because she thought it would help people understand me better, and I think she was right. (As a note, the people I have told are mostly people in a clinical psychology grad school program with me, so they know more abour Asperger's than the general population.)

I guess this post doesn't have a specific point; I just wanted to share my surprise and happiness with my coming out experience.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2012, 1:20 pm

I recently did the same thing in my clinical-group (about 2 months ago now) and I have not decided if it was a good thing or not yet. It probably was neither of the two. I still have not told my family. I also suspect that your fellow students know more about Asperger's than mine, we have had 2 pages in the abnormal psychology textbook devoted to it and that is it.

Anyway, if it felt freeing for you I congratulate you on this victory =)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm

My psychiatrist thought I had AS for a year or so before informing me.

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm

My friends know and I often have to tell my educator, employer and so on I have it.

But when it comes to random people I encounter, whether in an educational environment, work environment or at a social gathering, I don't mention it.
There have been times when I've wanted to, but I don't how to say it or I feel it's possibly irrelevant. :?

I also have people who don't know about it suspecting me of having it. Like when I was back in college. But I don't want to be defined by it or treated differently. And also I don't like drawing attention to myself.

So I'm unsure whether it would be a good thing for me to be more open about it too.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

I met a lady yesterday who had been the facilitator for a couple of classes my daughter went to when she was really small. She asked how everything was and I happened to mention my daughter was waiting to be assessed for autism. She never flinched.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 3:56 pm

a friend asked me if i was an aspie. I hadn't really heard of aspergers before so i texted a friend who used to work with autistic kids. she said she thought for years that i have AS. lol She never mentioned if because she didn't know how i'd take it.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/