Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2006, 1:45 pm

I go to a creative writing class, today this guy took over the second half of the class to discuss some half formed ideas he has, it was his idea that we could go off and come back with some fresh ideas for him as he has writers block.
When the class finished he approached me and said do you enjoy writing fantasy stories, we could do some writing together. I mumbled something about maybe next week then ran off to the loos. Afterwards he said am I over stepping the mark.
God knows why he asked me, and god knows I don't want to finish off his damn fairy tales!! What does one do?

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2006, 3:07 pm

My opinion (and only that) from what you have written:

No, he hasn't overstepped the mark. The question was fair, and was probably more focussed on his need to get round writer's block than on you in particular. It might have been an opening gambit in developing a friendship/relationship. Even so, that's not wrong, providing a polite negative reply is taken as such.

"What does one do?"

Politely decline. A simple "No" may invite a "why?" so something a little more full might be a better conversation closer if that's what you wish.

"Have you asked xxx? They're more into fantasy." might be a deflection, if passing the buck, but "I'm not comfortable with one-to-one collaboration." would be honest, and should serve.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2006, 4:12 pm

Thank you Emettman for your guidance I will see what happens next week. I think I will explain I find it hard to get into other peoples work and then give him a few pointers to loosen his writers block.

geezer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Oct 2006, 6:42 pm

Isaac Asimov used to handle writers’ block by keeping two or three projects going at the same time. When one grew stale he simply hauled out another one and kept on typing.

And a small tip...

Even in a creative writing class apostrophes are appropriate. Ignoring them gives your work a sloppy, amateurish look.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2006, 8:24 pm

There's always the social excuse, "I'm sorry I can't, I have to..." Sophisticated NTs will see this for the polite "no" that it is. Yes, it's odd that they don't just say what they think on this planet. Such a facinating and convoluted social language they have here!

- Emerson