Post a random quote from a book you're reading

Page 15 of 16 [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2023, 6:51 pm

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way–in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 8:39 pm

“How much better is silence; the coffee cup, the table. How much better to sit by myself like the solitary sea-bird that opens its wings on the stake. Let me sit here for ever with bare things, this coffee cup, this knife, this fork, things in themselves, myself being myself.”
― Virginia Woolf, The Waves

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 9:39 am

“There is still, I think, not enough recognition by teachers of the fact that the desire to think--which is fundamentally a moral problem--must be induced before the power is developed. Most people, whether men or women, wish above all else to be comfortable, and thought is a pre-eminently uncomfortable process.”

~ Vera Brittain, Testament of Youth

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 11:44 pm

“Men are like the earth and we are the moon; we turn always one side to them, and they think there is no other, because they don't see it—but there is.”

~ Olive Schreiner, The Story of an African Farm

WisteriaRose
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2023, 7:58 pm

“When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.” - Peter Pan

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 1:43 pm

"Devant cette nuit chargée de signes et d’étoiles, je m’ouvrais pour la première fois à la tendre indifférence du monde. De l’éprouver si pareil à moi, si fraternel enfin, j’ai senti que j’avais été heureux, et que je l’étais encore. Pour que tout soit consommé, pour que je me sente moins seul, il me restait à souhaiter qu’il y ait beaucoup de spectateurs le jour de mon exécution et qu’ils m’accueillent avec des cris de haine."

- Albert Camus, L’Étranger

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 2:29 pm

^ :heart:

"Aimer ou avoir aimé, cela suffit. Ne demandez rien ensuite. On n'a pas d'autre perle à trouver dans les plis ténébreux de la vie. Aimer est un accomplissement."

Les Misérables, Victor Hugo

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 1:22 am

Cold in the earth—and the deep snow piled above thee,
Far, far removed, cold in the dreary grave!
Have I forgot, my only Love, to love thee,
Severed at last by Time's all-severing wave?

Now, when alone, do my thoughts no longer hover
Over the mountains, on that northern shore,
Resting their wings where heath and fern-leaves cover
Thy noble heart forever, ever more?

Cold in the earth—and fifteen wild Decembers,
From those brown hills, have melted into spring:
Faithful, indeed, is the spirit that remembers
After such years of change and suffering!

Sweet Love of youth, forgive, if I forget thee,
While the world's tide is bearing me along;
Other desires and other hopes beset me,
Hopes which obscure, but cannot do thee wrong!

No later light has lightened up my heaven,
No second morn has ever shone for me;
All my life's bliss from thy dear life was given,
All my life's bliss is in the grave with thee.

But, when the days of golden dreams had perished,
And even Despair was powerless to destroy,
Then did I learn how existence could be cherished,
Strengthened, and fed without the aid of joy.

Then did I check the tears of useless passion—
Weaned my young soul from yearning after thine;
Sternly denied its burning wish to hasten
Down to that tomb already more than mine.

And, even yet, I dare not let it languish,
Dare not indulge in memory's rapturous pain;
Once drinking deep of that divinest anguish,
How could I seek the empty world again?

"Remembrance" - Emily Jane Brontë (1845)

On this anniversary of her death, in 1848 at age 30.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 6:13 am

"If you must keep wearing those dirty leggings," she said, "then the next thing to go on will be this." She handed him padded, sleeveless vest. Her face was intent as she helped him tie the knots, and he could see her strange, dark eyes up close.
"Why are you doing this?" he asked as she cinched the last laces.
"Your idea about the archives was a good one," she said, watching her own nimble fingers, not his face. She bent for the two armoured sleeves and began attaching them to the vest. "It could be that you might produce one or even two more useful ideas before the Sacrifices kill us, helping me live long enough to kill even more of my enemies. So I have decided to keep you alive if I can - at least for a while."
"I'm honored," he said, sourly as he could.
She raised one of her thin white eyebrows. "So. That is good, then."

("Into the Narrowdark," by Tad Williams)

Handa Rei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2023, 2:29 pm

I'm a type
unfit
to talk to people—
I wake up
knowing it

- Takuboku: Poems to Eat

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 8:56 pm

“Il regrettait toutes les années perdues au cours desquelles il n’avait pas fait assez attention aux arbres ni aux fleurs.” - Pour que tu ne te perdes pas dans le quartier par Patrick Modiano

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 3:22 pm

Idk if webnovels count but i have so many from Heaven Official's Blessing

" The one standing in infinite glory is you; the one fallen from grace is also you. What matters is 'you' and not the state of you." :(

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 11:42 pm

Triggering content: DV

“He beat me like he beat the children. Cept he don't never hardly beat them. He say, Celie, git the belt. The children be outside the room peeking through the cracks. It all I can do not to cry. I make myself wood. I say to myself, Celie, you a tree. That's how come I know trees fear man.” - The Color Purple

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 9:25 am

When I was very young and the urge to be someplace else was in me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked.

John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 1:12 pm

From my book The Death of a Christian Economist https://www.amazon.com/Death-Christian- ... 116&sr=8-1

Quote:

The topic of the sermon was the Second Judgment, which only Christian believers are to face. Non-believers, including Catholics and most non-evangelical Christians, will be consigned to eternal damnation at the First Judgment. A few Methodists or Presbyterians might slip through, if they truly believed in Jesus Christ as Savior. But, certainly no Episcopalians nor Adventists. In the Second Judgment, believers will be judged for their faithfulness in following Jesus Christ as Lord. Their works will determine what sorts of rewards they will receive in the hereafter. The preacher did not specify exactly what those rewards would be, nor how they would be divvied, but the faithful zestfully lapped it up anyway. Otto, like most other church members, dutifully gave the full tithe to the church, expecting to be glorified with a magnificent eternity as a result. However tenuous the few Biblical verses that back it up, the promise of extra goodies in the afterlife has proven to be a profitable motivator for many Evangelical preachers.

Quote:

When Patsy failed to express further interest in attending church, Otto became increasingly suspicious. He wondered whether she might be harboring some attitudes that might be characterized as “liberal”, or even non-Christian. His church had taught him to be vigilant, as America, which had been uniquely blessed by God, was under constant siege by the evil and demonic forces of the anti-Christ.

Quote:

At the rally, Otto joined others in chants of "God Hates Fags", "No Tears for Queers" and "Fag Matt in Hell." Otto chanted louder, and gesticulated more wildly, than anyone else present. Otto was confident that the deity would favorably regard his participation in this activity, and that he would consequently have another valuable point to raise at his Second Judgment.

Quote:
People in the academic and government professions have been conditioned to want to expand their portfolio of peer-reviewed publications to the greatest extent possible. It is how they gain status. Otto’s work is pure garbage, but is exactly what the scientific journals want. The government will pay the journal’s exorbitant page-charges for him. All that anyone will read of it will be the abstract, if anyone even reads that much. Some who skim his abstract will add Otto’s paper to their lists of references when they write their own papers. Many will do so purely out of courtesy, hoping that Otto will reciprocate by citing their work when Otto writes his next paper. Seeking to maximize the citation counts of one’s publications is an important element of the scam. When a paper has been cited enough times, it is labeled a Highly Influential Citation, and regarded as having a High Overall Scientific Impact, thus augmenting the author’s prestige.

Quote:
Unconscious and scarcely breathing, Otto urinates and defecates in his pants. About 40 minutes later, a team of paramedics enters the office, lifts Otto’s large, heavy body onto a gurney, and wheels him away.

For three days, Otto lies comatose in a hospital bed. Nobody from the Center for Livestock Health Monitoring bothers to visit him, nor cares much. Not even his office allies and presumed friends. No more than any dairy cows would venture to call upon a member of the herd that had been culled for slaughter. His preacher, saddened at the prospect of losing Otto’s tithes, goes to see him in the hospital, and offers a few minutes’ worth of prayer and condolence to his saddened wife. He doesn’t linger.

On the third day, Otto dies. To no-one’s surprise, he does not ascend into Heaven.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 3:23 pm

From my book Heaven's Queens

Quote:

YHWH reclined languorously upon his throne, looking rather bored. The four six-winged creatures, and the 24 elders, lay on the floor, asleep. Some of them snored. A few of them snored very loudly. Gabriel stood by, like a sentry, awaiting YHWH’s pleasure.

Mary, the new Queen of Heaven, knelt beside the throne, with a long list of requests that the faithful had asked her to pass along to YHWH. Several petitioners suffered from various diseases, and wanted Mary to ask YHWH to cure them. Many wished to improve their economic conditions. One woman, who lived alone in a trailer, desired divine assistance with her network marketing businesses that had been failing. Another wanted a Mercedes-Benz car and a color television. A major sporting event was just coming up, and some asked Mary to intercede with YHWH to cause one team win, while others wanted YHWH to give the victory to the other team. After all, if Mary could tell the servants at the wedding in Cana to do whatever Jesus bade them to do, and the result was turning water into the finest wine, then why couldn’t anyone ask Mary to intercede with YHWH to deliver any desired result?

Quote:

The summer had been extremely hot and dry across much of North America. A large part of the continent suffered from severe drought. Soot particles from massive forest fires dimmed the skies and prompted health warnings. Farmers on the great plains abandoned their parched wheat fields to collect federally-subsidized insurance money. Scorched pastures forced many ranchers to cull their cattle herds. Hundreds of thousands of chickens died from the heat.

Quote:

“I know that each of you faithfully tithes. But, ask yourself, is there more that you can do to advance God’s work? Ten percent of your income is the exact minimum that God expects of you. In Leviticus 27, God states ‘all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's. It is holy unto the Lord.’ The first ten percent of your income isn’t yours. It is God’s.

“In Malachi 3, scripture states ‘Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.’

“When the deacons pass the collection plates, consider the blessings that the Lord will pour out to you, in exchange for the generous gifts that you will present to him. And, think about our dire need for rain.”

The collection-plate receipts wound up being a little higher than average, but nothing spectacular.