Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pete_dystopia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2012, 8:07 pm

Hi, does anyone get this? I seem to clench my teeth a lot during sleep, a couple of times a week I will wake with headache, tinitus and achy jaw. I have a night guard but I find it too uncomfortable to sleep with. Does anyone know of any other solutions? Does it always relate to anxiety?
Pete

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 8:20 pm

i used to brux during the day when i had a lot more stress, even chipped a tooth.

i just researched nocturnal bruxism on medscape. evidently klonopin 1mg thirty minutes before bed can help. SSRI antidepressants make it worse, as may caffeine and nicotine. anxiety doesn't seem to be a factor in nocturnal bruxing.

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2012, 8:37 pm

I used to do this until I realized that chipping my teeth was quite painful. I would do this when I was overwhelmed with stress or feeling very anxious. Often in uncomfortable social settings I would do this like having lunch at school and having to sit next to people.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:16 am

I've always grinded my teeth for as long as I can remember. I think it's due to my levels of anxiety. My jaw was really sore around Christmas and my mom bought me one of those heat packs where you activate it by squeezing the metal button and it hardens and heats up.. Then you boil it in water and the heat pack goes back to liquid form. It feels good when I have a sore jaw. I tried various massage techniques I found on the Internet to help with the soreness but nothing worked too well. My jaw hasn't hurt for awhile now though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:57 am

i did it because i was legally prevented from strangling some evil people that really needed to be strangled. the only cure for me was to get away from those awful people. the mouthguard caused me to have sore teeth in the morning, as i was constantly gnawing on the thing while asleep.