"We're impressed with your qualifications...."

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:27 am

".... But we feel like you wouldn't be a good fit with the work environment here."

Has anyone else gotten this as a response after an interview that went incredibly well but ended with you being forced to admit to being an Aspie?

In my case, this comes up when asked why I was unemployed for 2 years between getting my Bachelor's degree and starting my Master's degree (Chemical Engineering, if you're curious). At the time, I had no diagnosis and honestly didn't know I was an Aspie until I realized the problems I had during interviews matched spot-on with symptoms of Asperger's. It was then I found out that I was unofficially diagnosed with Autism as a child (not strong enough symptoms to be officially diagnosed, and the doctors involved didn't know about AS), and I eventually got an official diagnosis for Asperger's during the process of getting my Master's. Because of this, I honestly have no better explanation or BS excuse as to why I didn't get hired with the GPA and credentials I had. Now I have even better credentials and GPA, and I interview a hell of a lot better now that I know what I have and how to deal with some of the symptoms (thanks, largely, to these forums), but when I have to admit to my diagnosis, there is a massively apparent change in their attitude towards me. Something along the lines of "Oh crap, we're going to have to deal with his sh*t nonstop", even though I explain that I have constantly proven through my work (two years managing a lab on campus) and education that the only time I've had issues is during these highly stressful interviews (for engineering they typically start with a 30-minute phone interview which can be followed up by a 4-8 hour on-site panel interview). Regardless, I still get the response I posted in the title and into the body of this post. To me, it feels like this is their way of saying "We're going to discriminate against you by not hiring you because of your diagnosis, but we're going to do it in a way where you can't sue us for it."

I apologize for this rant if you're annoyed by my attitude, I've just had an incredibly sh*t-tastic day of feeling useless, given I'm still unemployed after getting my Master's 6 months ago and constantly seeing people who failed a class twice before passing the third time getting jobs right after graduation when I aced the class and have only had one on-site interview (which was the worst interview I've ever had, actually got to be so bad it was kinda funny).

kojot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2012, 1:51 am

DNForrest wrote:
".... But we feel like you wouldn't be a good fit with the work environment here."

Has anyone else gotten this as a response after an interview that went incredibly well but ended with you being forced to admit to being an Aspie?

In my case, this comes up when asked why I was unemployed for 2 years between getting my Bachelor's degree and starting my Master's degree (Chemical Engineering, if you're curious). At the time, I had no diagnosis and honestly didn't know I was an Aspie until I realized the problems I had during interviews matched spot-on with symptoms of Asperger's. It was then I found out that I was unofficially diagnosed with Autism as a child (not strong enough symptoms to be officially diagnosed, and the doctors involved didn't know about AS), and I eventually got an official diagnosis for Asperger's during the process of getting my Master's. Because of this, I honestly have no better explanation or BS excuse as to why I didn't get hired with the GPA and credentials I had. Now I have even better credentials and GPA, and I interview a hell of a lot better now that I know what I have and how to deal with some of the symptoms (thanks, largely, to these forums), but when I have to admit to my diagnosis, there is a massively apparent change in their attitude towards me. Something along the lines of "Oh crap, we're going to have to deal with his sh*t nonstop", even though I explain that I have constantly proven through my work (two years managing a lab on campus) and education that the only time I've had issues is during these highly stressful interviews (for engineering they typically start with a 30-minute phone interview which can be followed up by a 4-8 hour on-site panel interview). Regardless, I still get the response I posted in the title and into the body of this post. To me, it feels like this is their way of saying "We're going to discriminate against you by not hiring you because of your diagnosis, but we're going to do it in a way where you can't sue us for it."

I apologize for this rant if you're annoyed by my attitude, I've just had an incredibly sh*t-tastic day of feeling useless, given I'm still unemployed after getting my Master's 6 months ago and constantly seeing people who failed a class twice before passing the third time getting jobs right after graduation when I aced the class and have only had one on-site interview (which was the worst interview I've ever had, actually got to be so bad it was kinda funny).

Ever wanted to stay at the university? Maybe this would be a better place?
The other thing that comes to my mind is that sometimes they don't hire people because they "overqualified" for the position.

I'd like to say something to make you feel better but I'm really bad at it :P Just keep fighting, somwhere there must be a place where they will value your qualifications the most.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 2:06 am

kojot wrote:

The other thing that comes to my mind is that sometimes they don't hire people because they "overqualified" for the position.

I'd like to say something to make you feel better but I'm really bad at it :P Just keep fighting, somwhere there must be a place where they will value your qualifications the most.

I'd like to eventually teach, but it is highly advised for the engineering field to spend about 10 years working in the industry first, that way you have the real-world experience to teach. I could get my PhD now (and did think about going to University of Washington for it), but I'd prefer to work now for two main reasons. First is because my sister's first kid is on the way, and I'd like to be able to help her and her husband out financially a bit while he finishes up med school. Second is because I feel it would be easier to transition into teaching directly after getting my PhD, during which I'd be teaching the occasional class, instead of working for ten years then jumping directly into teaching. A few, lesser reasons are also because I'd like to try to have somewhat of a social life and get in decent shape (I gained around 50lbs during my Master's degree due to the stress involved), and citing the years of getting my degrees, this won't happen while getting my PhD. I'm 27 and have Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, but because I've never really dated, I honestly feel like I have yet to start my life.

I'd also like to believe I'm overqualified, but in the current workforce situation there is no such thing, there's only companies getting to hire extremely talented and overqualified engineers for entry-level wages (which leads to another annoyance with my job search of how half or more of the "entry-level" jobs I see for ChEs require 2-5 years experience). Some big companies like Boeing and Intel would put me in a higher-level pay grade automatically because of my degree, but most small to mid-sized companies just see my Master's degree as a reason to put me at the top of the pile of resumes, with no potential for an increase in pay.

kojot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2012, 2:21 am

DNForrest wrote:
kojot wrote:

I'd like to eventually teach, but it is highly advised for the engineering field to spend about 10 years working in the industry first, that way you have the real-world experience to teach. I could get my PhD now (and did think about going to University of Washington for it), but I'd prefer to work now for two main reasons. First is because my sister's first kid is on the way, and I'd like to be able to help her and her husband out financially a bit while he finishes up med school. Second is because I feel it would be easier to transition into teaching directly after getting my PhD, during which I'd be teaching the occasional class, instead of working for ten years then jumping directly into teaching. A few, lesser reasons are also because I'd like to try to have somewhat of a social life and get in decent shape (I gained around 50lbs during my Master's degree due to the stress involved), and citing the years of getting my degrees, this won't happen while getting my PhD. I'm 27 and have Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, but because I've never really dated, I honestly feel like I have yet to start my life.

I'd also like to believe I'm overqualified, but in the current workforce situation there is no such thing, there's only companies getting to hire extremely talented and overqualified engineers for entry-level wages (which leads to another annoyance with my job search of how half or more of the "entry-level" jobs I see for ChEs require 2-5 years experience). Some big companies like Boeing and Intel would put me in a higher-level pay grade automatically because of my degree, but most small to mid-sized companies just see my Master's degree as a reason to put me at the top of the pile of resumes, with no potential for an increase in pay.

I'm sorry I have no experience with amecian jobs market so I have no advice in this regard. I think you just need to keep trying. Maybe they just found someone else (for a smaller salary) and then made up some 'white lie', but how would I know ;P

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 2:36 am

No worries, and thanks for the input. Like I mentioned, I've just had an incredibly crappy day of feeling worthless (they happen here and there), and needed to vent a bit.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2012, 7:35 am

Cull the official diagnosis from the official "papers" or more likely database. Then don't tell. Even if you get fired, you will have the experience and $$.

An alternative is to look at other countries as well.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 10:00 am

At my work if I want to fit in i just get myself a Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 10:20 am

Maybe instead of mentioning Asperger's, just mention poor interviewing skills in the past?

AQ: 33

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2012, 10:52 am

@Comp_Geek_573, Kind of self fulfilling statement ;)

unknowjondoe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

I had the same issue for a long time. My boss now was actually helping me find a job when he offered me one.

One of the major tips he gave me was "Don't describe problems you have negativity. Find a positive way to talk about them." Like for me it was not "Easily distracted by things around me." it was "Observant of my suroundings." :)

For your situation I would say "I was trying to figure out exactly where I wanted to apply my education."

And if they can't accept having Aspie in their work environment then they don't want intelligent people that understand things better then they do. (Sorry but that is the truth. That's one of the reasons my boss hired me.)

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2012, 2:30 pm

unknowjondoe wrote:
they don't want intelligent people that understand things better then they do.

Any idea how to find out early on which companies fit that category? or even better the opposite?

unknowjondoe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

Normally companies that want drones don't want people that are smart. Like Walmart, Best Buy... ect.

The way to find if a business wants smart people it to find ones off the beaten path. If they are a place you can walk into and ask for a form to get hired then they are not a place that wants smart people. Look for places that don't directly deal with customers in a store front. I work at United Way (non-profit) I also have found good places like a silk screening place, and just freelance stuff for people I know that own businesses.

Another easy way to see if a place wants drones is to look a the current employees if they are all dressed identical or they all act identical (or like frat brothers) then it is not a place for you.

Sorry to all those that work at a place that I have described. You are not a drone. (You just look like one. :P )

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2012, 3:04 pm

unknowjondoe wrote:
Like Walmart, Best Buy... etc.

Those are easy to spot. I wouldn't touch them with a stick when it comes to store operations ;)

Anyway the harder ones are companies that are looking for qualified drones. They look high tech etc.. but they are really on the drone business.

unknowjondoe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2012, 3:14 pm

Like I said keep an eye on the people that work there. And look for smaller places too. Usually big name places think only the people at the top need an IQ. If you find a place that is out of the way you will usually find a better opportunity because they are small enough that the people at the top also work in the same room as you.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2012, 4:26 pm

Thumb rule: If the people at the top work in another room than you.. NEXT ;)

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 4:40 pm

Hey, I just wanted to reply because I have personal experience with your situation...the parallels are actually kind of scary lol. I haven't mentioned Asperger's to anyone though, for my personal situation I can't see how it could do anything but hurt my chances.

I have a degree in agricultural engineering, but apparently there are next to no jobs in the field. After I graduated I applied for around 700 jobs, over 2 years with next to no response. The response you listed is actually what 95% of companies will tell you when they reject you, I think they see it as a nice way to tell you they don't want you.

Now, 2 years later, I am currently majoring in chemical engineering. I figured with a previous engineering degree/E.I. license and all I'd be able to get a job/internship like that, but it was still very difficult. I went on ~9 interviews, but all of them got the same negative response (very similar to the response you posted lol). However, I recently went on a 10th, and did actually get an internship (pretty much my dream one at that, so I'm super-excited!). I think that a lot of it isn't so much about you as it is about the companies though, that's the impression I got through the entire ordeal. For example, I have one friend in chemical eng. with pretty much a 4.0 gpa, extremely smart, very good people skills, and he's having extreme difficulty finding a job/internship. Doesn't make much sense but like I said I don't think it's anything he's doing. If you are getting interviews it at least means that they are interested in you, so that is a very positive sign. And even if you don't get a job after you interview it may have nothing to do with you.

Also have you had any sort of experience with internships? In the time I described above I have talked to many engineering recruiters, and I get a very strong impression that most of them hardly even care about how you do academically, all they really want to see is work experience. Pretty much without internship experience many engineering companies won't even consider you for whatever reason...many of the companies actually base all of their entry-level hiring solely around internships/college recruiting.

Oh and also if they ask about your unemployment in an interview, you could consider mentioning either the poor economy at the time, or say something about how you were focusing on personal and professional development doing "___" (this may be total BS but it it's the kind of thing they usually want to hear lol). My personal response when they ask this question is just that the field I initially majored in is a very small, niche field with few opportunities, and that I used my time unemployed to plan my future and decide what path I wanted to take with my career.

Hope that I was able to help out somewhat. If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I can try to answer as best I can.