Might any Aspies possibly fail the Turing test?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 11:40 pm

Do you think we speak more like machines than people?

Just for a little background: The Turing Test states that, with a human and a computer both communicating with an interrogator via typing (kind of like an online chat room), the computer passes the test if the interrogator correctly states which is the human and which is the computer less than 70% of the time. (50% is chance, and a "perfect" score for the computer.)

If you replaced the computer with a person who is severely affected by Asperger's, and this person and a neurotypical human did this experiment, might it be possible for the Aspie to fail the test if the interrogator thinks it's a human vs. computer determination? Or possibly just barely pass (like 69% of the time, the interrogator considers the Aspie the computer?)

AQ: 33

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 11:46 pm

I think we do a little, but not in such a black and white way as you have said. I have been told online in an anyonomous chat site that I seem robotic before.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 3:54 am

I know when I was asked to tell which was the human on a transcript I failed to miserably.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:23 am

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 21 Apr 2012, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2012, 5:33 am

I don't think your experiment would work.

If you tell an interrogator that one room contains a human and one contains a computer, wheras in fact it was 2 humans (an NT and an aspie), then the interrogator would immediately know by a little conversation that they were both humans. Thats because both the NT and the aspie would have conversational comprehension skills far beyond that of any modern computer. So the experiment becomes meaningless.

So if you then imagine an experiment in which the interrogator knew nothing about computer technology, then it still wouldn't work. Ask him to choose which is the human and which is the 'computer' (he does not know what a computer is ) then he will likely pick the NT every time, because the NT would (likely) fit better into his standard template of what a conversation with a human is like. Fair enough, but this wouldn't tell you anything about whether Aspies think like machines or not.

as408
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2012, 12:42 pm

Very fascinating thread.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 7:27 am

So you have a human nt interrogator.

behind closed doors you have: one computer,and one nt human.

7 out of 10 times the interrogator has to pick the human from the computer.

Are you proposing to pit an aspie against a computer, or an aspie against a nt human with no actual computer?

You could do both at different times.

I suggest you go to Nichelodeon, or to Retro TV, or go to a video store, and find some episodes of the sixties sitcom "Get Smart" and look for episodes with the character Hymie the Robot. Youll soon realize that even aspies dont lalk like hymie the robot. To equate robots an human aspies is laughable.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 9:11 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So you have a human nt interrogator.

behind closed doors you have: one computer,and one nt human.

7 out of 10 times the interrogator has to pick the human from the computer.

Are you proposing to pit an aspie against a computer, or an aspie against a nt human with no actual computer?

You could do both at different times.

I suggest you go to Nichelodeon, or to Retro TV, or go to a video store, and find some episodes of the sixties sitcom "Get Smart" and look for episodes with the character Hymie the Robot. Youll soon realize that even aspies dont lalk like hymie the robot. To equate robots an human aspies is laughable.

Aspies can be literal minded in very creative ways. Even a machine can not make some of the bloopers that Aspies make.

ruveyn