support/social groups - do you attend, does it help?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 1:18 pm

Autism NZ Auckland branch has bi monthly support groups for adults.

At their Morningside Road address (since moved), the room provided was an echo chamber from hell due to acoustic design, hard floors, no drapes

Even though they were well aware of the rooms acoustic problems for autistics, nothing was ever done apart from a few small rugs, which did near zip to improve the clatter. The childrens groups also used this space....

The facilitators, mainly sort of women of children with ASD's, were sweet enough, but had no clout with their absent management bosses to make things better for us.

'Fatherless' aspie males, and/or those with poor fathering, ran rampant with constant chatter and one way conversations, domination and passive aggressive ego manipulations. Meltdowns occurred, and the group dynamics suffered from leadership difficulties.

I was always needing to go outside, as the ear chewing hounding from chatterboxes and constant echos drove me nuts. Well done AutismNZ!

horsegurl4190
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

I joined the ASD group therapy group this past spring semester at PSU while I was being assessed and it became the highlight of my week. For the first time in my life I was talking with people who had almost identical issues as me just in varying forms and severity. Now that I have become a member of WP I consider this forum my support. I love looking at all the topics posted and seeing a lot that I have in common with so I can post reply.