Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2006, 6:56 pm

I was diagnosed autistic when I was 8 in 1961 in the Norwood Clinic Ballarat by several pediatricians and Asperger Syndrome/HFA early this year by a psychiatrist at the age of 52.

Paul

02 Nov 2006, 8:12 pm

I'm curious for those who have been diagnosed with AS in your adulthood.

When you were going for a diagnoses seeing if you have it or not, what did you had to go through? Did the doctor ask you a lot of questions about you? Did they give you these tests like you read the questions and fill in the bubbles. Did they talk to your friends or family asking them about you and how you appear to them? Did they give you puzzles to do or brain stuff to do?

And who diagnosed you, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc?

I'm asking this because I'm wondering if getting the diagnoses as an adult is different than having a child going for a diagnoses. I know with a child, the doctor is talking to the parents of the child or to the gardian or to whom ever is raising the child, and they ask the child questions too. I wished I rememebed my tests for it and all but sadly I don't. All I know is when I was going for a diagnoses back in 6th grade, my psychiatrist talked to my parents everytime we were seeing him and I remember being asked these three questions of what are my three wishes. One of them was going to London. I remember doing this thign twice from my psychologst. When i was 11 and 12, I was given this paper and it asked me bunch of questions and I had to fill in one of the bubbles of often, sometimes, never. My mother did one too and my teacher but i don't remember if my dad did one too or not. I did them in 5th grade and 6 grade. And I rememebr my psychaitrist looking at them after we all took them.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2006, 8:14 pm

I was diagnosed when I was 16, and it was a psychiatrist who diagnosed me.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

02 Nov 2006, 8:16 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I was diagnosed when I was 16, and it was a psychiatrist who diagnosed me.

Tim

you weren't an adult. You were still a kid then. What did you had to go thru for a diagnosesthough. Don't you remember any of it like if they asked you questiosn or not, or had you do tests or mind games like puzzles or mazes, etc.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2006, 8:18 pm

I don't remember really. Before I was diagnosed with AS, I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS when I was 11.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2006, 10:28 pm

I was diagnosed at 30. The process involved a psychiatrist. I was interviewed twice and took 2 personality tests that were fill in the bubble and an IQ test (WAIS I believe). She was going to have to talk to my mother originally but then backed out because I was able to access papers from the school district I went to as a child that gave her a good picture of my development from pre-school to the end of middle school.

Hope this helps

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Steve45
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2006, 2:16 am

I was diagnosed this year at the age of 45. The process involved completing several questionnaires and then a 2 hour interview with two clinical psychologists. My mother also had to fill out a questionnaire to provide information on how I was as a child. She also answered questions from the psychologist.

Tony Attwood provides an excellent summary of this process in his book, "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome".

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 2:41 am

I am just about to go through the diagnostic procedure I am 30. The clinic have sent a number of forms to complete, there is one which asks for a family history, any previous treatment for mental illness etc, the other is a questionnaire for an informant who knew me as a youngster to give them a picture of any problems noticed at school/developmental delay. I also have to fill in an EQ and AQ questionnaire.