Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

22 Mar 2012, 6:01 pm

Is my favorite German philosopher. I love his ideas such as psychoanalysis, existentialism, phenomenology, and hermeneutics.

I have read a few of his works what a mind the man had his take on moral relativism is awesome.

Nietzsche’s philosophy continues to have profound effects on moral theory and practice to this very day.

Who is your favorite philosopher?



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

22 Mar 2012, 9:02 pm

Joker wrote:
Is my favorite German philosopher. I love his ideas such as psychoanalysis, existentialism, phenomenology, and hermeneutics.

I have read a few of his works what a mind the man had his take on moral relativism is awesome.

Nietzsche’s philosophy continues to have profound effects on moral theory and practice to this very day.

Who is your favorite philosopher?


David Hume.

ruveyn



Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

22 Mar 2012, 10:00 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
Is my favorite German philosopher. I love his ideas such as psychoanalysis, existentialism, phenomenology, and hermeneutics.

I have read a few of his works what a mind the man had his take on moral relativism is awesome.

Nietzsche’s philosophy continues to have profound effects on moral theory and practice to this very day.

Who is your favorite philosopher?


David Hume.

ruveyn


Hmm never heard of David Hume I will look him up.



richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

23 Mar 2012, 12:16 am

Joker wrote:
Who is your favorite philosopher?
Laozi


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Feb 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 667
Location: Berlin, Germany

23 Mar 2012, 8:13 am

Joker wrote:
Is my favorite German philosopher. I love his ideas such as psychoanalysis, existentialism, phenomenology, and hermeneutics.

I have read a few of his works what a mind the man had his take on moral relativism is awesome.

Nietzsche’s philosophy continues to have profound effects on moral theory and practice to this very day.

Who is your favorite philosopher?

I don't have a favourite philosopher, but Nietzsche is one of those that appeal to me and that I find interesting. I got a biography on him from the library yesterday and so far it's really interesting.

David Hume, as far as I can tell, is a traditional English philosopher. They tend to be more analytical. I had a seminar on him last year and it was pretty interesting.


_________________
EXPANDED CIRCLE OF FIFTHS

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman


Orr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 569

23 Mar 2012, 8:31 am

I think my favourite is Plato, most likely because I read him first.

As for Nietzsche, I much enjoyed Twilight of the Idols( I might have the title wrong there?), and earlier this week I was leafing through an archaic translation of Thus Spake Zarathrusta, which I inherited from my grandfather.


_________________
'You seem very clever at explaining words, Sir,' said Alice. 'Would you kindly tell me the meaning of the poem called "Jabberwocky"?'


Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

23 Mar 2012, 11:30 pm

I have always been a fan of friedrich nietzsche because he was so morbid in his take on things that in a sick way I enjoy his work.



Saturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 317
Location: UK

25 Mar 2012, 5:17 pm

I like Nietzsche or what I have heard of his work. He's the philosopher I read first back when I was 15 or 16 and I understand that many adolescents get into Nietzsche. Perhaps his limitation for me is that he seems to hold a bit of a 'grudge' but I suppose that grudge is also the great driving force for much of his work.

I take an interest in the ideas of different philosophers as I move through life. As my own perspective changes I take an interest in ideas that might be in line with that. Sometimes I get into the ideas of philosopher's that I've previously found to be pretty uninteresting and irrelevant to me. One of the reasons I want to keep living is so I can keep exploring the world of philosophy.



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

26 Mar 2012, 9:31 am

the works of Nietzsche are a good example of what a philosopher who is a tertiary syphilitic produces.

ruveyn



Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 458
Location: UK

29 Mar 2012, 7:46 am

Joker wrote:
I have always been a fan of friedrich nietzsche because he was so morbid in his take on things that in a sick way I enjoy his work.


I have never understood why people call him morbid. I've never come across anything that appears particularly negative. Maybe it's in the interpretation.



scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,001
Location: San Francisco

29 Mar 2012, 9:25 pm

Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
Is my favorite German philosopher. I love his ideas such as psychoanalysis, existentialism, phenomenology, and hermeneutics.

I have read a few of his works what a mind the man had his take on moral relativism is awesome.

Nietzsche’s philosophy continues to have profound effects on moral theory and practice to this very day.

Who is your favorite philosopher?


David Hume.

ruveyn


Hmm never heard of David Hume I will look him up.


Come to think of it, those of you who participated in the "God most likely does not exist" thread might enjoy Hume's "Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion"



scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,001
Location: San Francisco

29 Mar 2012, 9:30 pm

Invader wrote:
Joker wrote:
I have always been a fan of friedrich nietzsche because he was so morbid in his take on things that in a sick way I enjoy his work.


I have never understood why people call him morbid. I've never come across anything that appears particularly negative. Maybe it's in the interpretation.


I agree. For some reason, his work does seem to lend itself to that (mis-)interpretation. Curious, though, since it's really quite the opposite.



Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

30 Mar 2012, 1:13 pm

scubasteve wrote:
Invader wrote:
Joker wrote:
I have always been a fan of friedrich nietzsche because he was so morbid in his take on things that in a sick way I enjoy his work.


I have never understood why people call him morbid. I've never come across anything that appears particularly negative. Maybe it's in the interpretation.


I agree. For some reason, his work does seem to lend itself to that (mis-)interpretation. Curious, though, since it's really quite the opposite.


His out look on things come across in a morbid way but he was the most important german philosopher until the third reich started twisted his ideas and made them into their image.



30 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

Joker wrote:
Is my favorite German philosopher. I love his ideas such as psychoanalysis, existentialism, phenomenology, and hermeneutics.

I have read a few of his works what a mind the man had his take on moral relativism is awesome.

Nietzsche’s philosophy continues to have profound effects on moral theory and practice to this very day.

Who is your favorite philosopher?



Thomas Hobbes.

He is wildly unpopular on both the left and the right, because his theory of human nature is all too accurate and flies in the face of what so many people in this world so desperately want to believe. He is the antithesis of religionists, traditionalists, and secular humanists.



Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

30 Mar 2012, 1:26 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
Is my favorite German philosopher. I love his ideas such as psychoanalysis, existentialism, phenomenology, and hermeneutics.

I have read a few of his works what a mind the man had his take on moral relativism is awesome.

Nietzsche’s philosophy continues to have profound effects on moral theory and practice to this very day.

Who is your favorite philosopher?



Thomas Hobbes.

He is wildly unpopular on both the left and the right, because his theory of human nature is all too accurate and flies in the face of what so many people in this world so desperately want to believe. He is the antithesis of religionists, traditionalists, and secular humanists.


You can draw a fine line between fact and being accurate some times things that seem accurate but later turn out to be not true or fact based with no evidence to back up such claims.



30 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm

Joker wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Joker wrote:
Is my favorite German philosopher. I love his ideas such as psychoanalysis, existentialism, phenomenology, and hermeneutics.

I have read a few of his works what a mind the man had his take on moral relativism is awesome.

Nietzsche’s philosophy continues to have profound effects on moral theory and practice to this very day.

Who is your favorite philosopher?



Thomas Hobbes.

He is wildly unpopular on both the left and the right, because his theory of human nature is all too accurate and flies in the face of what so many people in this world so desperately want to believe. He is the antithesis of religionists, traditionalists, and secular humanists.


You can draw a fine line between fact and being accurate some times things that seem accurate but later turn out to be not true or fact based with no evidence to back up such claims.




His ideas where dismissed at the time. But centuries later, especially during the 20th century, many of his ideas about human behavior have been proven right by modern science. To say that there is no evidence to back up his claims is a flat out lie.



Nietzsche, on the other hand, is very much the father of post-modernism. He appeals very much to hipsters and the modern american left due to his elitist beliefs and his postulation that truth is relative.