NHS vs Private Diagnosis Conflicting results...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

cecdwarfer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2012, 12:34 am

I have recently been for both a private diagnosis by myself and an NHS diagnosis with my parents and got conflicting results. I got a positive diagnosis from the private one, which I believed at the time, but also got a negative diagnosis from the NHS assessment. Was wondering whether people think that the private one might be more likely to be biased to tell you what you think you should hear and whether I should trust the NHS diagnosis more. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 2:23 am

If it were in the Police States of America, I would believe that the results would be just the opposite. Here in the P.S.A., a negative diagnosis would be the most likely from a government doctor due to the fact that the government would be afraid of having to spend money for you in the future. There are essentially no government services for autistic people at the present time, and if pressure was to be brought on the governments to provide services, they would want to have to provide them to the fewest possible people. How big of a budget crisis is there for the National Health Service?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 2:59 am

1. Take the online tests to get some personal clarity.

2. Have your parents ask both doctors for a written report--in plain English--detailing how they arrived at their diagnosis--what did they base it on?

If they want to know why you want the reports, just have your parents tell them, you need the info to clear up the confusion between the two diagnoses.

There is nothing unreasonable about this request. So get going on that.

I do think the other poster is right. The gov doc is probably under pressure to play down any diagnoses of any kinds of illness, except in really serious cases of mental or neurological disorders, because of budget problems. However, you do have a right to seek treatment for problems, and to get an accurate diagnosis as a preliminary part of that treatment.

Once you have the reports you will be better able to analize your situation. You can point out any discrepencies you may find in either report, too.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 2:49 pm

cyberscan wrote:
If it were in the Police States of America, I would believe that the results would be just the opposite. Here in the P.S.A., a negative diagnosis would be the most likely from a government doctor due to the fact that the government would be afraid of having to spend money for you in the future. There are essentially no government services for autistic people at the present time, and if pressure was to be brought on the governments to provide services, they would want to have to provide them to the fewest possible people. How big of a budget crisis is there for the National Health Service?
That's the result she did get. The NHS (government) doc gave her a negative result.

OP, How old are you? Are you still in high school? The education authorities tend to go with the NHS results. But, just because you got a negative result for autistic spectrum (I assume that's what you mean) doesn't mean that should be the end of the story. Was there an assessment of your particular needs? I assume you have educational or social issues or something else which you and/or your parents and/or teachers are concerned about. These cannot be ignored. A specific diagnosis is not as important as getting an assessment of your needs.