Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

unlundun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2012, 2:32 am

I was wondering if I have asperger's, any insight will help.

OK a quick run down about me. I've always been different, I thought it was since I grew up with my parents who are immigrants. but I noticed my other relatives who grew up here and my sister are nothing like myself. I'm 33 years old, I have a successful career programming games for a living(been doing it since I was 17). In school I never did well in tests in subjects that didn't interest me, science, math, and history I excelled at. A teacher figured out something was wrong with me and had me do some tests. They told me I had a learning disability, but to be honest with you I hate writing stuff that doesn't have an answer(like a paper) on a subject that doesn't interest me.

But enough about I finish high school, head to uni, get my degree and get a job. During this path people have told me I might be an aspie, but I didn't see this as an issue, until recently. I've begun looking for a mate, I had hell with the online thing, until recently I got a date with a girl who was perfect, after the second date she gave me the "no spark" line. I've been playing what I did wrong in my head, and I realized it, I'm very likely an aspie, my family and friends are used to it, but I still don't know. I looked at some symptoms, I see some but others I don't see. I really want some insight on the matter. And if I do, what next? I don't want to be "cured" I just want answers and support.

Thanks

>Repetitive routines or rituals
Somewhat, I won't go nuts if they break.

>Can engage in tasks (sometimes mudane ones) for hours and hours
depends on the task.

>Flat, or blank expression much of the time
totally not, I smile.

>Doesn't always recognize faces right away (even close loved ones)
not true

>Strong sensitivity to sound, touch, taste, sight, and smell (e.g. fabrics—won’t wear certain things, fluorescent lights)
I can't stand silk, gooey oily foods(chicken skin), seafood, and cilantro, but isn't that just tast.

>Sensitivity to the texture of foods
see above

>Eccentric personality
I wear geeky shirts, know the extensive history of hiphop, read novels and comics religiously, and really into gaming.

>Idiosyncratic attachment to inanimate objects
Lots of stuff have memories for me so I won't toss them, does that count?

>Being "in their own world" / Preoccupied with their own agenda
Too close to home :(

>Highly gifted in one or more areas, e.g. math, music, etc
aside from programming, game design, and history that's it.

>Single-mindedness
yep thats me

>Likes and dislikes can be very rigid
once again me.

>Can spend hours in the library researching, loves learning and information
once again me.

>May have difficulty staying in college despite a high level of intelligence
I chose to stay just to finish it, but I hated HS.

>Limited interests / Intense focus on one or two subjects
computers, games, sci fi/fantasy, hiphop, history, british comedy, comics. I'm open to other things but stuff "normal" people like seem to alien for me.

>Unusual preoccupations
at home I code my own game, read, or play games.

>Collects things
Games, comics, books

>Clumsiness / Uncoordinated motor movements
totally

>Speech and language peculiarities / hyperlexia (little professors) or, early in life may have a speech impediment
i stumble sometimes in talking.

>Non-verbal communication problems: difficulty reading body language, facial expression and tone
so me, unless someone is totally angry, sad, or annoyed, I don't read it.

>Word repetition (they may frequently repeat what you've just said)
wow....

>Excellent rote memory
its not photographic though.

>We Can often be distant physically and/or emotionally.
me pretty much to everyone except my baby nephew.

>Often are attracted to another purely because they are attracted to us
one time in uni...nah I won't go there. :(

>Alternatively, we can be obsessive
my mom wanted one time to get me therapy since I didn't want to play with the kids outside(gave up trying to be their friends)

>May have a hard time saying I love you, showing physical affection
aside from family, never did it.

>We can be very critical
i try never to hurt their feelings.

>We takes things personally
oh god yes :(

>We can be very loyal to one person
totally

>Often times we will make no motions to keep a friendships going
true

>We need to withdraw and have solitude
so true.

>Men in particular find emotions messy and unquantifiable; If partner tries to share her love for him, he may find her need to “connect” smothering
never been that deep in a relationship.

>Our attention is narrowly focused on our own interests
so true

>Desire for friendships and social contact but difficulty acquiring and maintaining them
I make friends though.

>Shuts down in social situations
In a party, unless I know someone I usually go to a corner, one time I bought my DS and played it in the bathroom :(

>Social withdrawal / may avoid social gatherings
that's me

>Lack of interest in other people
I want to date someone who understands me, every geeky girl I run into is either too crazyily obsessed with their interest(I may be odd but I can function in the real world), or taken. And "normal" people just don't interest me, esp if there is no common ground.

>Lack of empathy at times
I can empathize so i dunno what this means.

>Difficulty understanding others’ feelings
me in a nutshell.

>Can obsess about having friends to prove they’re “normal”
looks like I've done it already.

>Rigid social behavior due to an inability to spontaneously adapt to variations in social situations
being friendly counts?

>Has an urge to inform that can result in being blunt / insulting
me totally.

>Preoccupied with their own agenda
me again

>Great difficulty with small-talk and chatter
me again.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 3:22 am

Hi Unlundun! Welcome to Wrong Planet. Check out the different forums and articles here. They are interesting and helpful. The Autism/Asperger's forums have links to online tests you can take. From what you listed, you sound like you are definitely on the spectrum, and on the Asperger's part of it. It's not necessary to have every single symptom, in order to be on the spectrum. You seem to have a majority of them, so it looks like you are on the spectrum.

Give those online tests a shot, and remember, you are among friends here at WP. :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 4:17 am

Welkome to WP

MickImage

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 3:58 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

unlundun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2012, 2:33 am

questor wrote:
Hi Unlundun! Welcome to Wrong Planet. Check out the different forums and articles here. They are interesting and helpful. The Autism/Asperger's forums have links to online tests you can take. From what you listed, you sound like you are definitely on the spectrum, and on the Asperger's part of it. It's not necessary to have every single symptom, in order to be on the spectrum. You seem to have a majority of them, so it looks like you are on the spectrum.

Give those online tests a shot, and remember, you are among friends here at WP. :D

If I want to talk to a doctor about a diagnostics, where do I go and how do I say it? Also what kind of treatment is there? I don't want to take meds.

Thanks

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Mar 2012, 12:53 pm

ImageTo WrongPlanet!! !Image