Is it true that people with AS look younger?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

vortex
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2012, 2:06 am

I read that somewhere and basically just wonder if it's true?

I, for example, am 21 years old but most people think I'm 16-18. Having said that, I don't have an official diagnosis.

Anyway, just curious. What do you think?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 2:18 am

It seems to be a very prevalent observation, but I don't know of any scientific studies of the question. Could be anything from subtle genetic factors to the way we tend to stay inside, with our noses in books, instead of getting ourselves wrinkled from sun exposure. Could just be a fallacy that doesn't really have a basis in reality.

I know I look younger, and so does my (almost certainly diagnosable ASD) mom.

I don't think it has much scientific merit because it couldn't really be used as a screening test; looking younger is too common for NTs and the facial markers would be too subtle to use for computerized screening.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 2:50 am

I'm 21 but my mom says I look between 14 to 16. I'm frequently asked what grade I'm in by people when they first meet me. Then they appear shocked when I tell them my true age. And one of my younger brother's friends once thought I was the younger sibling!

My mom also says that she has trouble telling the ages of anyone she's met at work who is on the autistic spectrum. For example, two of such autistic people are coworkers of my mom's who are both sisters. I thought they were around my age when I met them, but they're actually in their early 30s.

vortex
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2012, 2:57 am

IdahoRose wrote:
I'm 21 but my mom says I look between 14 to 16. I'm frequently asked what grade I'm in by people when they first meet me. Then they appear shocked when I tell them my true age. And one of my younger brother's friends once thought I was the younger sibling!

My mom also says that she has trouble telling the ages of anyone she's met at work who is on the autistic spectrum. For example, two of such autistic people are coworkers of my mom's who are both sisters. I thought they were around my age when I met them, but they're actually in their early 30s.

Ha yeah, I get that all the time. People think I'm the younger sibling. I'm quite short as well, which doesn't really help.

ToastableNeko
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Mar 2012, 2:59 am

:o

Last edited by ToastableNeko on 25 Mar 2012, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 3:02 am

I don't think I really look younger than my age and had someone on here think I look older but recently someone thought I was 28 and I once overheard my former landlord tell someone that I was much younger than my actual age.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2012, 3:06 am

Looking younger is a bit subjective... BUT:
People with AS are said to have expressionless faces.
Some NTs pay to have paralysing toxins (eg Botox) injected into their facial muscles in a quest for similar expressionless (and thereby less lined) features... in an attempt to look younger.
So... Maybe
P.S: Any aspies on here who've had Botox? Did it make any difference?

ToastableNeko

25 Mar 2012, 3:17 am

bnky wrote:
Looking younger is a bit subjective... BUT:
People with AS are said to have expressionless faces.
Some NTs pay to have paralysing toxins (eg Botox) injected into their facial muscles in a quest for similar expressionless (and thereby less lined) features... in an attempt to look younger.
So... Maybe
P.S: Any aspies on here who've had Botox? Did it make any difference?

Is it wrong of me to think that lip injections look absolutely horrible? Constant duckface.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 3:22 am

I look older. It's the receding hairline, methinks.

PurpleJazz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2012, 4:10 am

I don't think there's necessarily any correlation. If anything, there's a chance people may think you're younger due to perceived social immaturity, rather than down to looks alone.

Untonim
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2012, 4:35 am

Yes, yes,yes, I'm 33, but most people think I'm a teenager :)

Most of kids think I'm not adult.
My wife (35) said I look like school graduate, despite hair gray.
And I see that most of my classmates are already men and women, but I'm still a boy, a boy with a little gray in hair :)

In general, I like this, but sometimes it causes problems :oops:

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 4:36 am

Im 19, people sometimes assume Im younger than 14, but usually about 15/16. Often get asked which year I am at school.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 5:19 am

Well, people are always surprised when they hear my age, and say that I don't look that old. :lol:

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2012, 7:21 am

However... When I was 12 I could pass as legal to work age=16. So I worked with high school leavers for the summer holiday every year... until I left school.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 7:47 am

I look much younger than I am. I'm often guessed at around 13-14, while I'm almost 19.
It's a shame, really, as I'd prefer to look much older than I am.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 7:53 am

I'm 31 years old, but people tend to think i'm in my mid-20s. THe funny part is that when I was 21, people thought I was in my 30s. Go figure. Course it could be that since many of us arent that expressive, we dont use our facial muscles much, so the stretch and wear on our faces (which would indicate age) would be off.