Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2012, 4:33 am

Does anyone know any ways of making them feel ok on you? :/ I changed my top the other day and put it back on and ever since it hasn't felt right on me so now I've taken it right off and it feels even worse.

I don't ever do well with having to change my tops, they get to a point of ripping/becoming overly old before I take them off and even then I'll still wear them if nothing else feels ok. I hate this feeling so much and just end up tense/stiff and wanna cry and punch things. Right now I just wanna sit in my room and not move until it feels ok on me.

I know this feeling could now last weeks or months but I really wish it wouldn't :/

All my senses seem even more heightened than usual and it's all just throwing me towards a huge meltdown.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 5:01 am

Are you getting a heatwave just now, where you are? I usually find my sensitivity towards fabrics is heightened in the warm weather (same with my daughter). I went clothes shopping yesterday, which is a good thing, because I never bought anything that I wouldn't be able to wear when I'm extra sensitive (which I was yesterday).

questor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 5:03 am

Do you or whoever else washes them, use any fabric softener. The clothes would probably feel better washed in a little unscented fabric softener. I use that on my stuff, but not always on towels, as I don't wear those, so I make the fab softener last longer by not using it on towels most of the time. I don't care for the fab softener sheets--I use the liquid version. The fab softener sheets can gunk up the dryer vent, which can cause a fire.

Another issue could be too much detergent. Try using a little less, and also try switching to a gentler one. Some of the "natural" versions are better that way, and always go for the unscented ones in detergents, fab softeners, and bleaches. I found I was bothered by the fragrances they use in those things.

Another possibility is that you may have hard water--that is, water with too much mineral content. Clothes washed in such water may pick up enough of it to bother people with very sensitive skin, who may also be sensitive to those minerals. If that's the problem, then you will need a water softener system for the whole house water supply.

Yet another possibility has occurred to me. At the risk of causing offence I will mention it, because it can be a cause of clothes not feeling good after a while. If you wear clothes repeatedly without washing them, they get dirty and then they don't feel so nice when you put them back on dirty. If you have been doing this, I suggest you wash them.

Don't let doing the laundry intimidate you. It was my mother's favorite chore. I don't really mind it, although I don't like it like she did.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 6:40 am

You could also try running them through a second rinse cycle after the washer has stopped, if they don't feel right because they have been washed.

How exactly do they not feel right to you?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Mar 2012, 8:23 am

I get this sensation from certain fabrics, and it drives me crazy! I recently purchased a set of cheap brassieres, and although they were advertised as being mega comfortable, the cheap fabric is definitely not comfortable at all. The seams press into my tender skin, and the whole thing rides around,as well as being too tight in the armpit region. It is so hard to find comfortable underwear. As for outer wear, I have a few blouses that I have to give away because the fabric is too stiff and irritating, despite numerous washings.

I can't use fabric softener, but I do use baking soda and borax in addition to all natural laundry soap. This helps to soften the water at least. Maybe you could try this?

Princess78
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: Massachusetts, or in a cottage with seven little men

29 Mar 2012, 10:53 am

You might have to buy a detergent that is free of perfumes and dyes. That's what we do in my family, because we have sensitive skin. I don't know what you use in England, but in America, Arm and Hammer makes one for sensitive skin. Oh, and don't panic. It's nothing to be afraid of. :D

retrogurl88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2012, 2:41 pm

Anyone else can't stand certain shirt or pant materials? I can't wear button up shirts either, they always make me feel anxious because my arms feel odd in them. I also find clothes without tags and if they do have tags I immediately cut them out upon purchase. Socks even bug me when they bunch up in my shoes. If a shirt has something sown on it, the design cannot be felt on the inside, if it is then I cannot wear it.

Is this normal? (I have never been formally diagnosed with ASD, but I do have panic disorder and other anxiety issues.) Can an anxiety disorder overlap with the spectrum? Is it common to have both? I know this is a bit off topic but I joined this forum to try to discover more about myself and I am just curious.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 2:58 pm

Most fabrics don't bother me. I've only had trouble with the mesh that's similar to that used in swim trunks and the texture of the new BDUs the US military utilizes. There isn't enough softener to make those things comfortable :x.