Two-Thirds of Kids With Autism Have Been Bullied: Study

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

quadphonic
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2012, 7:59 pm

http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsst ... cid=663173 Accessed: 2012-03-30. Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/66YwtkTjO

Quote:
Nearly two-thirds of American children with autism have been bullied at some point in their lives, and these kids are bullied three times more often than their siblings without autism, a new survey finds.

Bullying occurs in every grade but is worst in grades five through eight, with 42 percent to 49 percent of students with autism spectrum disorders in those grades bullied, according to a survey of nearly 1,200 parents of children with autism aged 6 to 15.

The Interactive Autism Network (IAN), a project of the Kennedy Krieger Institute, conducted the survey.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 8:51 pm

quadphonic wrote:
http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.aspx?Docid=663173 Accessed: 2012-03-30. Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/66YwtkTjO

Quote:
Nearly two-thirds of American children with autism have been bullied at some point in their lives, and these kids are bullied three times more often than their siblings without autism, a new survey finds.

Bullying occurs in every grade but is worst in grades five through eight, with 42 percent to 49 percent of students with autism spectrum disorders in those grades bullied, according to a survey of nearly 1,200 parents of children with autism aged 6 to 15.

The Interactive Autism Network (IAN), a project of the Kennedy Krieger Institute, conducted the survey.

Good luck finding ANYONE that hasn't been bullied in some form as a kid, autistic or not....

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:26 pm

Raptor wrote:
quadphonic wrote:
http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.aspx?Docid=663173 Accessed: 2012-03-30. Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/66YwtkTjO

Quote:

Good luck finding ANYONE that hasn't been bullied in some form as a kid, autistic or not....

This (^)

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:39 pm

Only two thirds?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:24 pm

I wonder how many kids in that survey didn't belong in it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:53 am

For me, it was mostly in junior high, and my sophomore and junior years of high school. By my senior year, I mostly learned to deflect a lot of verbal barbs with humor.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ByattBrown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2012, 2:29 pm

quadphonic wrote:
survey of nearly 1,200 parents of children

Shows that nearly 400 parents don't even know there children are being bullied in school. :cry:

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:50 pm

Raptor wrote:

Consider me lucky. Two out of three of my kids say they've never been bullied, and they're both Autistic.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

ByattBrown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2012, 2:56 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Consider me lucky. Two out of three of my kids say they've never been bullied, and they're both Autistic.

That is really nice to hear, as I was bullied, I was really worried for my son who was diagnosed 6 months ago would be to.

Thank you for sharing. :D

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 3:03 pm

ByattBrown wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

That is really nice to hear, as I was bullied, I was really worried for my son who was diagnosed 6 months ago would be to.

Thank you for sharing. :D

Well, I'll tell you a little secret about that:

My eldest son has been, but the younger two have not (by their accounts). But my eldest has always been a little more sensitive (empathetic) than both of the others. He's always been able to read people better. The other two, I think, are more apt to let a lot of things go straight over their heads. IOW, it is possible that bullying attempts have been made, but go unnoticed. It's a well known fact that children who bully are usually just looking to get a rise out of the kids they bully. When there is no reaction, the bully moves on. It is altogether possible that's really what's been happening with my younger two sons, but I consider that result pretty much just as good as not being bullied at all.

I was bullied badly from first through eighth grade. It was during eighth grade that I started learning to ignore it. To refuse to react to it. Low and behold, by the time I made it to high school, it all stopped. There is a lot to be said for learning how NOT to let stupid things get to you.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

ByattBrown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

MrXxx: thank you very much for this, I think my son has the advantage at the moment that he is one of four with an asd in his class and they all support each other. We were very luckly to get him into our local school as it is a mainstream school that specilizes in asd students.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 3:42 pm

I am happy to report that in my daughter's elementary school, bullying and teasing is not tolerated. In fact, students are encouraged to be accepting and helpful to kids like my daughter who have autism, or who have mental disabilities. In fact, my daughter, due to her quirky personality and humor, is very popular with the mainline students.
I only wish this had been the case when I had been in school.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ByattBrown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2012, 4:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I am happy to report that in my daughter's elementary school, bullying and teasing is not tolerated. In fact, students are encouraged to be accepting and helpful to kids like my daughter who have autism, or who have mental disabilities. In fact, my daughter, due to her quirky personality and humor, is very popular with the mainline students.
I only wish this had been the case when I had been in school.

This is great to hear that just maybe things are improving and all aspies have a chance at being accepted and appreciated. :D

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 6:43 pm

Children are, by nature, cruel little f*****s.

It's a sad thing, but that's life.

You will reap what you've sown.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 7:30 pm

abacacus wrote:
Children are, by nature, cruel little f****.

I had a wide mean streak in me when I was a kid.
Come to think of it I still do..... :D

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 8:29 pm

Raptor wrote:
abacacus wrote:
Children are, by nature, cruel little f****.

I had a wide mean streak in me when I was a kid.
Come to think of it I still do..... :D

That would be because you never grew up :P

You will reap what you've sown.