Old anti-allergy medicines and Aspergers traits

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2012, 3:33 pm

I suffered from severe allergy in my childhood. I used to take anti-allergy medicines, that temporarily slowed down my brain processes, so I was out-of-sync with group of other children. I was just different: calmer than other children (but still furious sometimes), worse performance etc. When I stopped taking those meds, I behaved like normal children, I was more lively, although still had problems with people. I was even hyperactive, so the doctor decided to slow down the process of getting rid my old meds.

So, there is an question. My psychiatrist, who diagnosed me with mild AS, knows about my severe allergy and my behavior/processing issues caused by meds. My theory is, that those meds blocked some parts of my brain, so my AS traits (intense and narrow interests, social problems, things like wearing the same clothes over and over etc.) could be mimicked or just caused by them. They were just my way to compensate my deficits. It means that I could have pseudo-Aspergers with the same symptoms, but different causes.

Does it make sense? Or everything is just linked somehow to my AS?

Now I'm functioning really high, although I still feel "special" sometimes. Moreover, my allergy is also very mild now, so I take my meds rarely (also they belong to new generation group of anti-allergic medicines, so they don't slow down my brain processes anymore).

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 5:45 pm

I know with some plain old regular, over-the-counter anti-histimines I took in 1993, it was like the air felt thick, and I was swimming. I also seemed to hear differently. The experience was somewhat similar to sleep deprivation.

I have much better luck with Allegra which is a non-drowsy causing anti-histamine.