Page 1 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next


What is your religion or lack thereof?
Christain/jewish/other Jehovah/Yahweh centered religion 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
Muslim 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Buddhist 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
My own personal religion creation (please explain) 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Wiccan 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Agnostic 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
Atheist 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
Other (please specify) 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 52

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 438

01 Apr 2012, 9:03 am

I am doing a survey...


_________________
Aspie score: 164/200
NT score: 60/200
You are very likely an Aspie!

AQ: 36


ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,907
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

01 Apr 2012, 9:12 am

I'm an agnostic atheist....


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,061

01 Apr 2012, 9:13 am

I'm an atheist Buddhist with a side portion of Vedanta.


_________________
I've left WP indefinitely.


HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,364
Location: Planet Earth

01 Apr 2012, 9:46 am

Agnostic. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I'll try not to commit too many felonies.
When I think too much about the idea that there's nothing after this life, I get somewhat depressed.



TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,061

01 Apr 2012, 9:48 am

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
When I think too much about the idea that there's nothing after this life, I get somewhat depressed.


I feel quite happy at the prospect! :lol:


_________________
I've left WP indefinitely.


ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,907
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

01 Apr 2012, 9:53 am

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
Agnostic. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I'll try not to commit too many felonies.
When I think too much about the idea that there's nothing after this life, I get somewhat depressed.


Sounds like atheism.


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


NewlyHuman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 34

01 Apr 2012, 10:03 am

Yes, agnosticism deals with knowledge, theism/atheism with belief, so they are answering different questions. Most people are either agnostic atheists or agnostic theists.



ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,907
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

01 Apr 2012, 10:09 am

NewlyHuman wrote:
Yes, agnosticism deals with knowledge, theism/atheism with belief, so they are answering different questions. Most people are either agnostic atheists or agnostic theists.

Questioner: "Do you believe in god?"

The Young "Agnostic": "I don't KNOW, but..."

Questioner: "Yes...? But what...?"


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


NewlyHuman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 34

01 Apr 2012, 10:16 am

So they don't know if they believe, you mean? ;) Yes, that could be conundrum.


Some people do say they know that there is/isn't (a) god(s), but most will hesitate to make such a strong claim, regardless of whether they believe in such an entity or not.



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

01 Apr 2012, 10:20 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I'm an agnostic atheist....


I am in violent agreement with your sig.

Richard Feynman who was a genius was the very antithesis of an Aspie or an Autie.

On the other hand Dirac, also one of the great physicists was without a doubt an Aspie. He could have been a cover boy for Asperger's Monthly Magazine. Newton probably was and Einstein probably was not.

ruveyn



ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,907
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

01 Apr 2012, 10:23 am

NewlyHuman wrote:
So they don't know if they believe, you mean? ;) Yes, that could be conundrum.


Some people do say they know that there is/isn't (a) god(s), but most will hesitate to make such a strong claim, regardless of whether they believe in such an entity or not.


I only differentiate in non-academic circles when it comes to (a)gnosticism.
Otherwise, I feel "I know there is no god" is in the scientific sense identical to saying "I know there are no unicorns".

In non-academic circles, I make no strong claims about either, insofar as I haven't personally-examined the entire universe,
but then, laymen don't know that that's not the standard for something being considered evidenced or no.


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 438

01 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
NewlyHuman wrote:
Yes, agnosticism deals with knowledge, theism/atheism with belief, so they are answering different questions. Most people are either agnostic atheists or agnostic theists.

Questioner: "Do you believe in god?"

The Young "Agnostic": "I don't KNOW, but..."

Questioner: "Yes...? But what...?"


If someone asks me that question, as an agnostic myself, I will say that there is no evidence yet to convince me either way. You cannot prove a god exists, but you cannot prove the non-existence of a god, therefor I am neutral in that regard. But there are agnostics that believe in a god and agnostics that don't. We agnostics typically believe that there are many things beyond the reach of human knowledge that simply can't be solved.

I personally can tell you that I think fighting over something like "how did we come into being" is kinda stupid anyways, I mean, we don't have a time machine, we cannot know for sure.

But I don't know and neither do you, so...


_________________
Aspie score: 164/200
NT score: 60/200
You are very likely an Aspie!

AQ: 36


ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,907
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

01 Apr 2012, 10:43 am

iceveela wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
NewlyHuman wrote:
Yes, agnosticism deals with knowledge, theism/atheism with belief, so they are answering different questions. Most people are either agnostic atheists or agnostic theists.

Questioner: "Do you believe in god?"

The Young "Agnostic": "I don't KNOW, but..."

Questioner: "Yes...? But what...?"


If someone asks me that question, as an agnostic myself, I will say that there is no evidence yet to convince me either way. You cannot prove a god exists, but you cannot prove the non-existence of a god, therefor I am neutral in that regard.


Atheism does not involve a positive belief regarding god's existence.
Atheism IS the "neutral", skeptical position.


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 438

01 Apr 2012, 10:59 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
iceveela wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
NewlyHuman wrote:
Yes, agnosticism deals with knowledge, theism/atheism with belief, so they are answering different questions. Most people are either agnostic atheists or agnostic theists.

Questioner: "Do you believe in god?"

The Young "Agnostic": "I don't KNOW, but..."

Questioner: "Yes...? But what...?"


If someone asks me that question, as an agnostic myself, I will say that there is no evidence yet to convince me either way. You cannot prove a god exists, but you cannot prove the non-existence of a god, therefor I am neutral in that regard.


Atheism does not involve a positive belief regarding god's existence.
Atheism IS the "Negitive, not neutral", skeptical position.


If believing in god is the positive, than disbelieving is the negative.

Atheism is the attack on religion and the use of deities to brainwash people so religious people can get their way, such as in politics. But it is generally characterized by simple "I don't believe," but the reason rally did not show simple disbelief as a full frontal attack on religious provocations.. It is the complete opposite of religious worldview. It does not claim that god may not exist, it generally claims that god DOES not exist. Which is a claim of opposition, making the argument biased against the religious beliefs. Agnostics generally find no reason to even get involved in these silly endeavors, outside of telling both sides that they are stupid for claiming a non-provable proposition or proclamation.

To claim that atheism is neutral and unbiased is like saying that democrats are unbiased and neutral. Neither of the opposing sides of an argument can be considered a neutral party.


_________________
Aspie score: 164/200
NT score: 60/200
You are very likely an Aspie!

AQ: 36


01 Apr 2012, 11:00 am

I'm a Dudeist. :P



Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,018

01 Apr 2012, 11:01 am

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster represent!