Lessons learned over my 4 year tech career as an AS'er

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

as408
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2012, 1:21 pm

I've spent 4 years doing computer tech support. I present what I wish I'd known.

first read this: http://managing-aspergers-at-work.com/L ... er%27s.pdf

I have tips to add. Regard these as general rules, NOT as absolute gospel to be literally followed to the strictest letter. As an ASpie, how do you apply rules in a non-absolute manner? Hard to say. It takes experience and having to apply each rule in various situations.

For example, rule #17 doesn't always mean you can't ever move the conversation to a different topic. You have to guage the following:
- how much are the co-workers talking about topic XYZ?
- exactly where are the co-workers conversation-wise in discussing XYZ? (ie: at the beginning, middle or end of the topic?)

#16 even when people don't respect you, still say "hi" to them in the morning and be strictly professional in general.
this means:
- answering questions when needed
- getting your part of the work done
- being cordial (basic respect, not a "hey man!! ! what's up dude?! how bout we hit starbucks!")

#17 when co-workers are talking, be careful about joining in. even when you do join in, make sure your contribution continues the
existing flow of conversation.
example: lets say two co-workers are talking about taking their kids to the park. They might mention seeing somebody skateboarding. To them it's a mere observation. For you, it's time to talk 15m about your latest skateboarding stunts. by doing this, you just grossly redirected the conversation flow.

#18 if co-workers are bitching about a particular customer, don't automatically stick your head in every time they do it. They can see it as intrusive.

#19 if your boss is having a dialogue with someone, don't wheel around your chair and watch the dialogue. Instead stay to your task and only join the dialogue if asked.

#20 don't be immediately reactive and take things personally when a co-worker makes a joke. "Hey Johnny, takin your time, eh?!" said in a funny comical voice is vastly different than "Hey Johnny, takin your tem, eh?!" said in a harsh aggressive in your face tone.