Unable to work on special interest when overwhelmed

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

quarkify
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2012, 4:30 pm

I am a twenty-year-old student at an Ivy League university diagnosed with autism. Until I was diagnosed, quite recently, I suffered from extreme bouts of anxiety and depression during which episodes I found it impossible to concentrate on anything and my work suffered. Prior to this period of time, which lasted several years, I was a very precocious student, particularly in the sciences and mathematics.

After my diagnosis, my interests reemerged. But I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience of being unable to work on special interests when being overwhelming stimulated and anxious.

Thanks!

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:53 pm

Hi, Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

And, yes, when overwhelmed, my interests feel far away. I was into math and science, although kind of pushed by my mother. In my mid 20s, I got into academic ethics (utilitarianism, Kantianism, etc) and discovered I was really pretty good. Later on, I was into political activism, theory of business entrepreneurship, teaching, screenwriting, C++ programming, doing taxes and tax policy, playing poker (now only league poker for points), public health including influenza and diarrhea, dehydration, and oral rehydration solution (ORS). Well, I'm 49 years old. Of course I've done a lot of different things!

If I've run into a social block or if someone has treated me in a confusing and/or borderline disrespectful way, combined with being "tasked out" (a lot of tasks to do and no particular joy in them) that can super drain away my energy for my projects.

From time to time, I have struggled with bouts of depression. I have not yet tried antidepressants. They are kind of my Ace in the hole. And, as I have read, something like zoloft might work great for one particular person and yet not do a thing for another person. Well, how in the world would someone know that if they weren't told in advance ? ? And so, as I understand it, the way the game is played and won is to be willing to try a series of antidepressants, hopefully under the direction of a doctor who I can halfway talk with.