Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 6:46 am

This article by Steve Silberman poses the question, "What could be done to make the world a more comfortable, respectful and nurturing place for millions of autistic kids and adults – now, starting today?" I think it's well worth a read.

http://blogs.plos.org/neurotribes/2012/ ... the-world/

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 12:38 pm

I agree with the article. Boiling down people to a stereotypical diagnosis is as wrong as racism. Such things are like 'awareness' that seem to vilify autism and give the illusion that something is being done when often it's all just lip service. My autistic traits are a part of me and once I embraced that positive aspects of them they became an asset rather than a burden for the most part.

I especially some of the perspectives in the article as it mirrors my own sentiments about it.
Far too much emphasis is put on how different we are and not enough on what we can offer the world. Many of the things that make our society great were created by people like us.

Quote:
Lydia Brown is an Autistic student at Georgetown University who interns for the Autistic Self Advocacy Network. She blogs at Autistic Hoya.

1. Accept us. Autism is a part of who we are. As sure as skin color or sexual orientation, we cannot change being Autistic. Acceptance starts by understanding that we are not broken, defective, or diseased. We do not need to be fixed or cured. There is nothing wrong with us. Yes, autism is a disability, and yes, some Autistic people are very severely disabled. Accepting our autism does not mean ignoring or denying disability; it means accepting us for who we are, as we are.

2. Respect us. We are people, fellow human beings. We deserve to be treated with the same respect afforded to our non-Autistic peers. Respect starts by understanding that we are full and complete human beings, with individual personalities, life experiences, goals, and preferences. We deserve an education, access to communication, and a place in society as we become adults. We deserve to live without fear of being abused, manipulated, or hurt. We are not less than.

3. Support us. Because we are disabled in varying degrees and in multiple ways, we need support, services, and accommodations to successfully navigate a world not made for us. Supporting us starts by understanding that we are usually the people who can best define what types of support and services we need, especially once we become adults. Some of us may need services throughout school and or higher education. Some of us need help with seeking and keeping employment. Some of us need help with living independently or semi-independently, or with activities of daily life. Without appropriate supports, we will not have equal access and opportunity.

4. Include us. We deserve equal access and opportunity throughout the community and throughout our lifespans. Inclusion starts by understanding that we are part of the community and deserve to be included in it. As children, we may not be ready immediately for full inclusion, but full inclusion should be the ultimate goal for every Autistic child. Full integration into the community means living outside institutional or segregated settings and working outside a segregated setting. If we need accommodations or support to fully participate in the community, then provide those accommodations. We need to belong.

5. Listen to us. Too many conversations about us and issues that affect our lives take place without any of us present. Listening starts by recognizing that we have valid, legitimate, and important things to say about our lives and about the issues that affect us collectively. Like any group of people, we are not homogeneous in opinion or ideology, and this diversity is part of the Autistic community. Yet we must be included in any conversation about us, because decisions made by policymakers, school administrators, and grant reviewers often impact our daily lives and our future outlook. We can speak (or write or sign or type) for ourselves, and it’s time to listen.

Quote:
Garret Westlake is the Director of the Disability Resource Center at Arizona State University’s Polytechnic campus. He is also the CEO and Founder of STEM Force Technology, a company that provides coaching and employment services for individuals on the autism spectrum.

1. Hire someone with autism. You don’t need to look very far to find exceptional people with exceptional talents.

2. Learn from someone with autism. You might learn a new skill, a joke, or a fact, but you will definitely gain perspective, understanding, and appreciation for how someone else sees the world.

3. Abolish average education. Why do we strive for broad mediocrity in education? Encourage outliers. Create access and accountability in education for student strengths — not weaknesses.

4. Understand autism as diversity. If we still struggle with issues of race, gender, and sexual identity, where are we with accepting disability? Disability is diversity too.

5. Laugh. Everyone needs more of it. We can all do it together.

I think far too much medication is prescribed. My parents were poor so I got NO medicine and I think that is part of the reason for my success in life.

Quote:
Ari Ne’eman is the President and co-founder of the Autistic Self Advocacy Network. He currently serves as Policy & Program Evaluation Committee Chair for the National Council on Disability.

2. De-Medicalization: Over the course of the last forty years, the de-institutionalization movement has made tremendous progress in closing large residential facilities which segregated disabled people from society, shifting funds into more individualized supports in local communities. Although this is an important first step, ensuring that people with disabilities have access to choice and self-determination requires more than just moving from larger to smaller housing. It also requires a real sea change in how we approach disability services. We require a shift from the expectations of institutional life — which presumes a hospital environment, in which medical experts make decisions about patients — to the expectations of home life — where staff providing support to a person with a disability are working for the person and the pursuit of their goals and judgement.

It takes all kinds to make the world.. people seem to forget that. I didn't enjoy being treated like an outcast every day until I became an adult and started shaping my own environment.
Quote:
Liz Ditz blogs at I Speak of Dreams.

6. Replace the “medical model” with the “diversity model.” It turns out that all kids can learn, given good teachers, early and intensive intervention, and a supportive school and peer culture. U.S. schools need to move from a medical model (learning disabilities) to a diversity model (learning differences), and re-orient themselves to identify, value, and use a student’s strengths as “workarounds” and palliatives to weaknesses.

Nick Walker is an autistic educator, author, psychologist, activist, parent, and martial arts master. He holds an M.A. in Somatic Psychology from California Institute of Integral Studies, where he currently teaches in the Interdisciplinary Studies program. He is founder and senior instructor of Aikido Shusekai, an aikido dojo in Berkeley, California.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

I haven't even read the article, but the title alone already tells me I'm going to agree with it. It isn't enough, because what "awareness" is happening, isn't accurate awareness...

yet.

Wish I had time to read it right now. I'll definitely bookmark it for later though. Thanks for posting it!

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Rylan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2012, 2:27 pm

I think that people being made aware of autism/aspergers is not enough. People need to be taught that it is not wrong to be 'different' and just because we are does not give them an excuse to laugh at us. They need to be made aware of the difficulties we face by everyday social life and not so judgmental.

Also I think that being ignorant towards the condition is not acceptable and neither is downright discrimination. I think there should be more of a government initiative to make people understand these conditions in more depth.