makes sense so i should be careful.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

kill231 wrote:
makes sense so i should be careful.

Yes - be careful.

In hindsight I realize that much of the abuse I suffered was because I was too sensitive.
If I had not reacted so much to their teasing it wouldn't have fueled as much of it.
Later in life I figured that out and laughed off such teasing often mocking them by repeating their own words in my best impression of a sarcastic voice. Now as an adult it's hard to hurt my feelings - I have to really care about a person and their opinion for negative criticism to be more than just logically evaluated as feedback. The other thing I realize is that I was way too gullible and trusting of people that had formerly been mean to me. Though trusting no one is just as big of a problem.

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

wise words from a wise man i will use this advice to my advantage

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2012, 5:51 pm

jedaustin wrote:
In hindsight I realize that much of the abuse I suffered was because I was too sensitive.
If I had not reacted so much to their teasing it wouldn't have fueled as much of it.

With the same argument it would be okay to beat small children, because later they become larger and can defend themselves.
It's wrong to abuse people because they are sensitive and react accordingly.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 6:04 pm

Keyman wrote:
With the same argument it would be okay to beat small children, because later they become larger and can defend themselves.
It's wrong to abuse people because they are sensitive and react accordingly.

I agree 100% - In the end all I could change was myself to get the change in other people I needed.
Not being the easy victim made me less appealing as a target. Before I made that mental shift and stopped just 'taking it' they chased me home from school, beat me up almost every day, ganged up on me like pack animals kicking and punching me, and even shattered my leg when I was in kinder-garden. Adults are a lot more subtle about it :)