Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2012, 5:23 pm

I'm asking this question as I can't make friends with people especially girls without becoming clingy and fixated on them. I have tried to make friends in the past, but I have lost most, if not all of them because I got clingy and fixated on them, because I don't know the process for making friends and I'm also desperate for friends. I also get clingy and fixated on girls because I feel that I will never ever have a girlfriend if I don't get one now, and not do it the proper way.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm

I buy them at the bookstore.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 5:29 pm

ok. The trick with girls is to let it be, just be receptive when a girl takes an interest in you. Trying too hard will fail, particularly for an aspie. My wife found me :)

With friends it can be a bit like that also, it might sound daft, but setting up a routine where you call or hookup with friends once a week might help regulate you a little. If they want to see more of you, then they can initiate it as well.

I've never been able to maintain more than 1 or 2 close friends at once. I accept that now, rather than fighting it.

Jason

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2012, 5:30 pm

I also have a problem at getting male friends too.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 8:59 pm

My wife is incredible; everyone loves her to death, which sort of makes me a celebrity spouse, so they love me too. I have a 100 potential friends, and I don't do anything with any of them.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

TruthTree
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Apr 2012, 10:17 pm

You get clingy because you worry too much about having friends/girlfriends.
Don't worry about it so much and focus on the things you like.
Once you're out of school and you have a job (thanks to focusing on things you like) you are more likely to meet people that are interested in the same things as you.

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm

Find on common ground to work with. In both guys and girls finding something you both enjoy to talk about and do will help make friends. Identify a hobby you like and find other people through it. If you want female friends who are pretty that you want more with I can't help as I usually can't even talk to them. For everybody else common ground is a good start.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:45 am

Aharon wrote:
My wife is incredible; everyone loves her to death, which sort of makes me a celebrity spouse, so they love me too. I have a 100 potential friends, and I don't do anything with any of them.

My wife can really light up a room and she is more or less my seeing eye dog at 'social' events.

I previously used alcohol to help with the social anxiety at parties and to allow me to participate.

I cut out alcohol 8 months ago and I no longer have any interest in participating at parties.

I just take Valium before we go to the party and watch the clock until its time to leave.