Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 1:00 am

My week in the eyes of NT could be best described as busy, but for me it was sheer hell.

The low point was thursday. I had my first math test. First off I'd like to say that my math professor does not teach, and is vauge in almost everything he does.

THIS DOES NOT HELP ME ONE BIT!

The test was a perfect example of vaugeness, It was 20 problems and I could not complete it in the alloted time. Question 14 required me to place four different equations into a function that was in question 13, but it did not say that specificly, so I was looking at 14 really dumbfounded and after about 5 minutes it finally struck me to ask him what he wanted.

So I did just that, he looked at me like I was biggest ret*d in the world. There was no mistaking the look on his face, I've seen it countless times before from others.

So anyways, I know what the outcome of the test will be, now here's my dilema. The deadline for dropping classes is march 25th. The syllabus for my class (all of 3/4th's of one side a piece of paper) says that the lowest test score will dropped at the end of the semester, there are six tests, and this one was mostly review material which he rushed through. I sort of get the new material, I can do most of it, but I don't understand "why" it is the way it is. I'm sure that there will be another test before the drop deadline, but if not, do I drop now, or take my chances?

How did this end up here???? Could someone please move this to "school and college life" thanxs

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 1:11 am

My social studies teacher's as bad as your math teacher. She likes to scream at times I don't expect it, she can be very rude when telling me to do something, and her homeworks impossible.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 6:55 am

Scoots, have you tried to explain some of your difficulties to your teacher? You don't have to tell him explicitly about AS if you don't want to, but just let him know what aspects of the class you have a particularly hard time with, and see if he can help, or be more flexible with his teaching style.

I inevitably make a poor impression on my teachers, especially on the first week or two of classes (which is something I am contending with right now, actually). I find that teachers are more receptive to your problems if you show them you are trying hard and do want to learn, so if you approach them of your own volition to bring this up, that shows responsibility and concern on your part. Just be sure not to whine, and hopefully things will go ok.

If things really look like they aren't going to work out with this teacher, and you do not need the class for credits, then you should just drop it.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 1:22 pm

I have no idea on how to approach him, and as funny/stupid/weird as it sounds, when I'm caught up in all of this, the thought almsot never occurs to me to ask for help becasue I get so focused on trying just to "get" him that no other thoughts enter my mind.

And this guy is rather stuck-up too which only compounds things

magic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2005, 4:17 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
I sort of get the new material, I can do most of it, but I don't understand "why" it is the way it is.

Maybe that's the way to go? Learn how to solve problems without an understanding of underlying concepts. I had tons of math at college, most of which I was unable to follow (and neither was I interested in making any effort to do so). I passed everything by memorizing typical problems and solutions, and graduated with honors.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2005, 8:35 pm

My mother is a mathematician. Without her would never have gotten through math. But im now finished with math for good.
A