Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2012, 3:58 pm

I do understand this reaction. I don't think he was talking about the organic aspect - he even talked about this distinction a bit in the comment section. I found his insight very interesting.

I have nothing invested in my diagnosis. Knowing I have "Asperger's" has no explanatory power whatsoever. I belong to a vague grouping of traits & behaviors. I'm interested in the underlying causes, organic, psychological, or not.

It the same with my heart condition. It may be congenital, or it may have been caused by medication during childhood. What is observed in the present unfolded form somewhere. I'm glad there are psychologists exploring all possible territory in regard to that.

I personally found it interesting. This is not the same thing as "correct" or "persuasive" - just interesting. Maybe, allow the information to assimilate for a few days.

Last edited by abyssquick on 07 Apr 2012, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 4:20 pm

I run away from any psychology/psychiatry article that uses the word "defenses".

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 6:12 pm

TPE2 wrote:
I run away from any psychology/psychiatry article that uses the word "defenses".

^^ This.

Autism is not a "defensive strategy" to evade "psychic pain". This kind of Freudian BS is why I refer to psychologists and psychotherapists as modern day shamans. (Not that psychiatrists are much better, mind you. If psychologists are shamans, psychiatrists are modern day barber surgeons and pest doctors).

Neurological disorders like autism are organic disorders. At some point, we will have to start diagnosing and treating them as such if psychology and psychiatry are ever to be taken serious.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

I think Burgo full of s**t and most of Freud's ideas should have been buried with him. The reason we develop defense strategies is because of as*holes like Burgo and that skank Susan T. that replied on his blog. ASD has a neurological basis and for him to label things like narrow interests, repetitive behaviors, stereotyped speech, etc., as defenses is complete and utter BS. I left the good doctor and Susan T. replies on the blog but I doubt they will make it through the moderator there even though the replies were 'clean'. I think the good doctor needs to pack up his s**t and move to France where his ideas on ASD will be more appreciated.

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2012, 8:08 am

I find what he writes to be perfectly plausible.

I certainly believe lack of eye contact, one of the most famous traits of Asperger's, to be a defense mechanism. I have read many times of aspies stating that they dislike eye contact not because it is uninteresting to them, but because it is too intense, too painful. So I think it is perfectly reasonable to suggest that other autistic traits may also be a defense mechanism that originate from finding the world too overwhelming.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 6:02 pm

foxfield wrote:
I find what he writes to be perfectly plausible.

I certainly believe lack of eye contact, one of the most famous traits of Asperger's, to be a defense mechanism. I have read many times of aspies stating that they dislike eye contact not because it is uninteresting to them, but because it is too intense, too painful. So I think it is perfectly reasonable to suggest that other autistic traits may also be a defense mechanism that originate from finding the world too overwhelming.

Direct eye contact is the equivalent of someone "attacking" me. Therefore, I avoid it (or make it first) as a defense against that panicky feeling. It makes sense that these things are defenses - avoiding can be a defense.
It's weird. If I make it first, it's ok for a few seconds.