Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

elegantmess
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2012, 9:28 am

My legal name is Brenna and I am the adult child of an Aspie. My father was diagnosed as Schizoid for many years, even though my mother knew that wasn't true. Finally, when my half-brothers were diagnosed, my father was. My mother was unwilling to have the diagnostic run on me, because "Brenna's much too empathic." 10 years later, we're starting to regret that decision.

There are stories of me as an (early-verbal, early motor skills, but late walker) infant, doing such things as humming and crooning to my cheerios, having a deadpan snark reflex the moment I was talking, and being easily frightened (I was an early reader and my mother had to cancel the Post during Desert Storm). In school, I was always the kid with advanced vocabulary, reading books way ahead of my class, but hopeless at math and, much to my dismay in the school choir, musical theory. I was always the shy one, the one who was afraid to do the local haunted house walk, the one who was overly sensitive to damage in gym class. I was weird. I learned to accept it. It wasn't until a very badly handled meltdown in class that I realized, maybe there was something we were all missing. As an early adult, I started picking up more and more symptoms. I couldn't concentrate enough to hold a job or remain in college. I began rocking and fidgeting, even more than when I was in high school.

I now believe, after everything I've read, that I am most likely an Aspie, like my father and brothers. But, I live in a different state than my father when he was diagnosed and I can't seem to find anyone who will even consider diagnosing me, now that I'm 26 and a married woman. I don't know where to turn anymore and I'm hoping maybe I can find my resources here, since Google and state agencies have been so little help.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 9:31 am

Hello. :)

Emphatic, or empathetic?

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

Or really empathic ?

I am a bit psychic myself.

elegantmess
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2012, 10:21 am

Really empathic, but also empathetic. One of my most traumatic experiences in high school involved an ambulance driving video game, where I drove horribly and killed the "little boy" I was transporting. The Game Over sound was the kid saying "I don't want to die!" I was a wreck for the rest of the night and my mother complained to the manager of the restaurant we were in.

ArtsyAspieRose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2012, 11:45 am

Hey Brenna (is that what you like to be called) we're the same age, 26, i believe...I can relate with what you've said..I had to fight tooth and nail for my diagnosis. Its' SO difficult with high functioning AS and being female; for these psych proffesionals to see it...of course we ourselves can see it and it drives us nuts that they are almost always lacking in the fluid intellect and depth to see if for themselves; not to mention that their judgement is clouded by unserving and sex-biased precedents...I too am at my wit's end by this point, although i think i've finally got it...since the neuro psychologist i payed reviewed video footage i provided her, spoke withmy mother, and informed her that she would "help me get resources in the community programs" one in particular you need a diagnosis for..so i'm quite sure she has made up her mind..finally; someone with a brain!! I still havent heard back from her though..she's taking forever with my report and waiting is painful..:S!! Yeah; I had to pay private for it.... *sigh* after many public attempts..i was pretty much forced. Do you feel that it'd liberate you? I feel that way 100%

elegantmess
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm

Funny you should mention video. I'm going to see Social Services on Wednesday (husband is barely working and we have no reliable income) and I'm thinking of, on Monday, recording my day so that I can show anybody I can get to check me over what I go through, before and after morning medication.

My psychiatrist isn't trained for autism diagnosis, but he acknowledges that something is up. I'm currently on Celexa (for anxiety) and Trazedone (to help me actually sleep), which have improved my mood and energy levels, but they can't do a damn thing for making eye contact, stimming, or social cues. I feel like a diagnosis would at least give me peace of mind, by telling me that there is a reason I do what I do. Also, I could get help and find jobs that won't be a nightmare (waiting tables? Good God, No, never again).

(Sure, call me Brenna. Though I respond to a lot of different names. Hazard of being a roleplayer.)

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 2:15 pm

Sounds like you probably are.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 10:48 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage

elegantmess