Page 5 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 5:10 pm

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
What I'm saying IS, Dalurker's point is mute. The research is not there.

The point of my post was to imply what must be in place at this very moment in order to begin to even consider dealing with the 'brain wiring' of the Autist.

TheSunAlsoRises

It's not going to be ready overnight. Research will require time. There is lots of research out there into neurology, pathologically related or not, into autism in particular or not. Science hasn't made it this close in order to go no further.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 6:06 pm

dalurker wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
What I'm saying IS, Dalurker's point is mute. The research is not there.

The point of my post was to imply what must be in place at this very moment in order to begin to even consider dealing with the 'brain wiring' of the Autist.

TheSunAlsoRises

It's not going to be ready overnight. Research will require time. There is lots of research out there into neurology, pathologically related or not, into autism in particular or not. Science hasn't made it this close in order to go no further.

dalurker, research will continue and advancements will be made; there is no doubt about THAT.

Realistically, too much money and too much potential is in genetic research for any entity to put a halt to IT. With the exception of something catastrophic occurring i.e Famine, World War 3, total collapse of the economy etc, the types of research you want to happen...will happen.

Let's just make sure everyone shares 'equally' in those risks; ethics demands it!!

TheSunAlsoRises

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 9:05 pm

Our schools and social service agencies seem to *need* to define people as either "high"-functioning or as "low"-functioning. They really do.

I think it would be a significant improvement if more people purporting to want to help us were comfortable with the category of medium-functioning.

Well, what help would we then give the person ? ? And that seems to be the nervous unstated question.

Well, why don't we respectfully engage and communicate with the person and see what help they would like to receive? And that seems to be the obvious answer.

And those of us with greater skills in some areas, I think we have a real opportunity, not a dry obligation, but an opportunity and open field to stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters who often struggle more.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 9:07 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Of course. Trying to invent a time machine would take an enormous amount of brain power. So why bother with tying your shoes when you are on the verge of a great discovery?

I wouldn't bother with it, but I wouldn't go around thinking it makes me superior either.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:50 am

So how should I go around thinking? That I have delusions of grandeur?

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2012, 7:43 am

Create an environment yourself where your capabilities shine and deficiencies are handled.

These days, if you tend to forget things you can use a computer calendar to deal with it. If after-work sucks, you can go to hacker event. Etc..

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 9:40 am

androbot2084 wrote:
So how should I go around thinking? That I have delusions of grandeur?

I don't remember saying that....I just don't see what good thinking autism makes you better than other people is? I thought that was the kind of attitude from NT's you disliked, yet you want to behave the exact same way? You're only proving both sides are just as capable of intolerance and hatred.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 9:45 am

androbot2084 wrote:
True neurodiversity can only be found in autism.

Yes because there are only autistic people and non-autistic people.......there aren't people with any other differences.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 10:50 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

Yes because there are only autistic people and non-autistic people.......there aren't people with any other differences.

Would there be a neuro-diversity movement IF the ONLY Autism that existed was a severe form of Kanner's Classic Autism ?

TheSunAlsoRises

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

Would there be a neuro-diversity movement IF the ONLY Autism that existed was a severe form of Kanner's Classic Autism ?

TheSunAlsoRises

I honestly don't know.....I personally feel everyone regardless of what disorder they have deserves to be treated as an individual human being I don't think classic autism should be an excluding factor. So no I don't think neuro-diversity is just for high functioning people with disorders.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 11:40 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

TheSunAlsoRises

I honestly don't know.....I personally feel everyone regardless of what disorder they have deserves to be treated as an individual human being I don't think classic autism should be an excluding factor. So no I don't think neuro-diversity is just for high functioning people with disorders.

The concept of neuro-diversity was pushed by higher Functioning Autists, asserting both disabilities and abilities, promoting differences.

I personally believe THAT any group(where there is found a neuro basis for their condition) can potentially classify themselves as neuro-diverse.

All is needed is a vocal number of group members (with a neuro based condition) who can find benefits and want acceptance with regards to their differences.

While the neuro-diverse movement began with Autism, we must recognize it may not necessarily end there.........

TheSunAlsoRises

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:18 pm

If the only type of autism that exists is classic low functioning autism then that implies that the super human does not exist. Indeed if the super human were to appear before us would we not be so ashamed that we would consider the super human to be mentally ill? For indeed the intelligence of the super human would make us look like fools. So would we not try top find fault with the super human and mock it?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:24 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
If the only type of autism that exists is classic low functioning autism then that implies that the super human does not exist. Indeed if the super human were to appear before us would we not be so ashamed that we would consider the super human to be mentally ill? For indeed the intelligence of the super human would make us look like fools. So would we not try top find fault with the super human and mock it?

Well I don't know about anyone else but I don't know any super humans.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

Superhumans do not exist because our U.S. constitution says that all men are created equal.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:36 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Superhumans do not exist because our U.S. constitution says that all men are created equal.

ok...or maybe having autism does not make someone a super human but rather a person with autism.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:41 pm

Or maybe superhumans do not like going around and proving to the world that they are superhumans. What do you want them to do? Jump off of a cliff and fly through the air?