Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 8:33 am

I also have very little tolerance for mindless chit-chat about Celebrity Big Brother, when I'd rather be talking about Vietnam. However... if it's happening right next to me, I do try to join in a little, even if it's just with a few caustic remarks (since that seems to be the general point of celebrity gossip...). Sports are another minefield area, but I can easily steer clear of that by not saying anything.

Talking about personal stuff I can do, though. It's the talking to others about their personal stuff that often eludes me... :(

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 11:33 am

mummadisaster wrote:
It's terrible, but I switch off when people tell me about their own or their cousins/aunties/sisters/whoevers health problems, relationship problems, happy news, or otherwise. I get extremely uncomfortable having to feign some sort of emotive response when in reality I don't give a rats tosser.

Completely agree. What really gets me is when people I've only just met start telling me about these things. I mean... I hardly know you - am I really likely to care? I puzzle over sometimes whether NTs actually do find these things interesting and want to know this kind of information about random people, or whether it's yet another nonsensical social ritual.

The only NT topic that sometimes interests me is TV/movies... but trying to have these conversations doesn't seem to work out either, because it seems like I go too 'deep' for them. I might want to discuss the psychological makeup of a character or the moral/myth behind the story, but they don't; it's like every subject can only be discussed on this very light/shallow level. This is why I enjoy belonging to fan communities online, because although other people I've met are usually NT in every other way, we do share this incredible obsession and fascination with our chosen fandom, and can talk about all kinds of aspects of it. :)

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 11:38 am

mummadisaster wrote:
It's terrible, but I switch off when people tell me about their own or their cousins/aunties/sisters/whoevers health problems, relationship problems, happy news, or otherwise.

ACK! There's a woman in my office who is pregnant with her second child, due in March. And she will sometimes tell me about some of the latest symptoms or whatever she is experiencing. What on Neptune makes her think that I want to hear about stuff like that??? 8O :o