Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:04 am

Does autism cause "laziness" for anyone else? Things like washing dishes, I always let them pile in the sink for two or three days before I wash them. I see them every day, and know they need to be washed, but just can't bring my self to do it. Same with stuff like vacuuming the house and mowing the lawn, I know it needs to be done, but I just can't bring my self to do it on a timely basis. I rather lay in bed, read a book, watch TV, or surf the web.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:17 am

DVCal wrote:
Does autism cause "laziness" for anyone else? Things like washing dishes, I always let them pile in the sink for two or three days before I wash them. I see them every day, and know they need to be washed, but just can't bring my self to do it. Same with stuff like vacuuming the house and mowing the lawn, I know it needs to be done, but I just can't bring my self to do it on a timely basis. I rather lay in bed, read a book, watch TV, or surf the web.

That sounds more like my depression when it's at its worse...but typically I actually like things like washing dishes, cleaning the bathroom ect because I'm insane like that. However one thing I struggle with in general is deciding which order to do things in, what to start with and that can cause some procrastination and laziness on my part. Oh and forget the timely basis...for me its when I feel like it but that's about the only schedule.

Reynaert
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2012, 10:25 am

AIUI, this "laziness" is called executive functioning disorder (or something similar) and is a pretty typical trait on the autistic spectrum.

So yeah.

Moridin8
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2012, 10:27 am

DVCal wrote:

I experience(d) this... but as a symptom of depression... a very common thing with Aspies it seems. I've been on anti-depressants now pretty much constantly since I was 17...

Do yourself a favour and look into methods of relieving your depressive symptoms...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:28 am

Laziness is also common in teenagers and a lot of men. Executive functioning is more common in Autism, it's not intentional laziness.

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2012, 10:36 am

its supposed to go:
I see dirty dishes-->I need to wash dirty dishes-->washes dirty dishes

what happens to me is:
I see dirty dishes--> Oh, dirty dishes--> ooohh, whats in the fridge??

I then realise that the dishes need washing several hours later, when I'm already doing something else. Or else suffer a massive guilt trip when someone else washes the dishes, before it occurs to me to do so.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:39 am

I can be pretty lazy, especially if I'm absorbed in my special interest.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:41 am

I wash dishes when I run out of clean ones - same with laundry. It's only when something has to be done that I will do it.

Outer_Darkness
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2012, 10:46 am

I'm definitely lazy/a procrastinator. I put off doing things until it's absolutely necessary.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:49 am

I'm very lazy I have to actually force myself to do things and I tend to procrastinate. It's more of a human thing or else everyone's homes be spic and span.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:56 am

Reynaert wrote:
AIUI, this "laziness" is called executive functioning disorder (or something similar) and is a pretty typical trait on the autistic spectrum.

So yeah.

Had a quick search of this and it sounds like what I've experienced. Its always been a problem for me throughout school and even in college as well. I can work fine when there has been a schedule set out for me like a class timetable but when it comes to organizing tasks myself I find it difficult and sometimes just end up watching TV or something to avoid it. Its frustrating and I probably could have done better in education if it weren't for this.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 11:18 am

crookedfingers wrote:
its supposed to go:

what happens to me is:

The story of my life some days. I try to make a list of things I want to accomplish, and put them in a prominent area. As long as I remember to check the list periodically, I can usually get things done.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 11:47 am

crookedfingers wrote:
its supposed to go:

what happens to me is:

I then realise that the dishes need washing several hours later, when I'm already doing something else. Or else suffer a massive guilt trip when someone else washes the dishes, before it occurs to me to do so.

For me it goes

I see dirty dishes-->I need to wash dirty dishes-->that is work that don't want to do-->I will wash it tomorrow-->repeate one or two more days-->the sink is now full, I will wash now.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 12:06 pm

I'm petty sure it's because of executive dysfunction that it goes like this for me

I see dirty dishes ->

I want to wash them ->

it's an effort to remember all steps necessary to wash the dishes (and to stay focussed throughout something as difficult and at first unrewarding but that part's the ADHD) and that is why doing it is a greater effort for me than for someone else without autism who can go about washing dishes as if it is a boring but otherwise simple matter that doesn't challenge them at all

So, no, no laziness for me.

messmor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2012, 12:10 pm

Dishes aren't a problem because I made my husband get me a dishwasher. Can't see the dirty dishes 'cause they're in the dishwasher. Vacuuming on the other hand, I've been known to put on socks 'cause stuff on the floor is sticking to my feet. At one point in high school, I didn't see the floor of my bedroom for a couple of months. A clean room meant the clean laundry was piled up on my bed rather than on the floor.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm

It isn't laziness. It just means you are apathetic. I too am apathetic about vacuuming and such unless it is a large issue, probably because cleanliness is overdone by most people as a form of attracting mates.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist