Is this executive dysfunction or something else?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 5:34 am

What does it mean when things you should do don't come to you instinctively? Like getting in the bath but forgetting to wash. I don't do this now, but I used to do it when I was a teenager, about 13 or 14. I remember one night I got in the bath, then half an hour later I got out again and my mum went in there, and she yelled at me when she found the water wasn't soapy, the flannel was dry, and the soap was still in it's box. I felt ridiculous after that.

Is that what executive dysfunction is, or is it something else? Where you do something but miss out the instinctive part of it. It's typical in small children and Alzheimer's patients, is it typical in Autism and ADHD aswell? Because getting in the bath and forgetting to wash is very abnormal otherwise. And other things like that.

I've even gone shopping before, without taking any money. I felt such a fool after I had queued up with a load of items and got to the till only to realise my purse was empty. What an idiot!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 6:14 am

Joe90 wrote:
What does it mean when things you should do don't come to you instinctively? Like getting in the bath but forgetting to wash. I don't do this now, but I used to do it when I was a teenager, about 13 or 14. I remember one night I got in the bath, then half an hour later I got out again and my mum went in there, and she yelled at me when she found the water wasn't soapy, the flannel was dry, and the soap was still in it's box. I felt ridiculous after that.

Is that what executive dysfunction is, or is it something else? Where you do something but miss out the instinctive part of it. It's typical in small children and Alzheimer's patients, is it typical in Autism and ADHD aswell? Because getting in the bath and forgetting to wash is very abnormal otherwise. And other things like that.

This is why I don't like wearing too much make-up......

That's a very good question. This is something I was thinking on yesterday.

Central to executive functioning issues is using the faculty of "working memory," but strangely (to me), why is the 'sense of something' missing? I mean once you get going you do fine-- the memory bit isn't completely shot here.

I never did that in bathing per say, but even today, at times I find myself figuratively nudging myself to accomplish something strictly from the intellectual side.

It feels as though you are experiencing the world from a two dimensional perspective and looking in on it. Strangely the natural feel of things is absent. :alien:

I get the feel or vibe there may be isolated compartments of our experience that are not integrated into each other well, hence these missing links or gaps in 'experience.'

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 6:27 am

Since baths/showers are a relaxing/distracting environment I don't think it's too far fetched that you would forget to perform certain things such as lathering up or washing your hair. I know that I have before.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 7:28 am

Mdyar wrote:

I never did that in bathing per say

Per se.

Sorry it's not your fault that I keep seeing this mistake recently and for some reason it drives me up the wall :oops:

It has reached the point where I had to point it out to someone.

But back on topic, I've also occasionally forgotten to wash whilst in the shower and other similar things. Whilst I do have ED issues I don't think it has anything to do with this as lots of people make the same kind of silly mistakes.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 8:40 am

Rakshasa72 wrote:
Since baths/showers are a relaxing/distracting environment I don't think it's too far fetched that you would forget to perform certain things such as lathering up or washing your hair. I know that I have before.

Yer but I was all sweaty that day and had a bath in order to wash., but somehow forgot to wash, probably because I sat there daydreaming or playing about with the water.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 10:06 am

I guess forgetting usual routine things to do is not the same as ED. It can be related to it, though.

I often forget things that are absolutely part of a routine much to my embarrassment. Yesterday evening as I got home I put away the front door key of my apartment in a drawer I use to store other things and left the door unlocked... It never happened before, I always put the key in the door from the inside and lock the door.

Other times I'd leave the apartment in the morning for work in a cycling suit with a backpack in my hand without carrying the bicycle. :oops:

As for taking a bath, for a long time I didn't wash myself at all. Why should I when I'm in the water? My mother always had to remind me to wash myself. It's not a problem since I take showers instead.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 7:56 pm

nemorosa wrote:
Mdyar wrote:

I never did that in bathing per say

Per se.

Sorry it's not your fault that I keep seeing this mistake recently and for some reason it drives me up the wall :oops:

Your right. :P

I see it formally spelled out, but it's morphed into that and it is common, though wrong. I'm more prone to mix homophones up.