New dating website for people on the spectrum

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kerryt84
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2012, 3:45 am

Hello everyone, I'm setting up a new dating website for people on the autistic spectrum. I wanted to know if anyone has any advice on what would be good to include. I've used dating websites myself and so have some ideas but thought I would get the opinion of more people first. Also what do you think is a reasonable price to pay to join?

Thanks for any advice, Kerry

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 6:35 am

You all know what I think... I don't think mixing sex-starved male virgins and women who wants a real boyfriend is a good thing.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 6:59 am

how could you keep the trolls out?

maybe $15 per week would be a fair rate with a discount for a month's membership at $40.

Edwooger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Apr 2012, 7:02 am

My advice would be to make it free.
There are a lot of wanna be dating sites that charge £15 a month with few members in the big cities, mostly male and none locally.
My advice would be to look at the Aspi dating, geek 2 geek etc.. and make yours different. Also include a notice so people know if someone is a free member because you never know what % of people you are contacting are in fact just creating a profile and not able to reply, also include a last login stats so you know if they in fact use their profile at all.

So:
Last online stats?,
Can free members reply back?,
Are there members in my area?

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 7:58 am

I love ridin'.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 8:53 am

Lots of dating sites based on autism and aspergers are free, even if they lack in greatness.
I'd aim to making your site stand out.
What are you calling this project of yours? ASD-Dating?

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 8:56 am

cathylynn wrote:
how could you keep the trolls out?

maybe $15 per week would be a fair rate with a discount for a month's membership at $40.

No way, no more than $15-$20/month if it's paid membership. Gotta remember that some of us aren't particularly swimming in ca$h.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:02 am

I would try to make it very cheap, like a few pounds per month, so that more people could afford to join. That way, there is a wider selection to choose from, and more people will join/stay with the site because they will feel that they have a chance of finding someone. I would also advertise it in places where there are people who don't have autism but who are willing to date people with autism. Monitor the profiles to keep trolls and weirdos out. You could have a button on everyone's profile that people could click if the profile is spam, so that you don't have to go through reading every single profile yourself.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:07 am

good luck

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

freeeee

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:37 am

starkid wrote:
I would try to make it very cheap, like a few pounds per month, so that more people could afford to join. That way, there is a wider selection to choose from, and more people will join/stay with the site because they will feel that they have a chance of finding someone. I would also advertise it in places where there are people who don't have autism but who are willing to date people with autism. Monitor the profiles to keep trolls and weirdos out. You could have a button on everyone's profile that people could click if the profile is spam, so that you don't have to go through reading every single profile yourself.

The bold part is key. It would be able to address the imbalance of the female to male ratio. You might also want to put an extra thing about the positives of Autism/ASD's, tailored in a way that gets their attention, but is still truthful! Hope all goes well!!

Edwooger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Apr 2012, 10:33 am

Does it have to be a dating site ort about just a friendship site?
Just to take the presure off when you talk to others.
Matching Bot to chance likeing someone you normally may never have thought about approaching just because you can't go on photos alone and a profile is only a fraction of person.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

Edwooger wrote:
Does it have to be a dating site ort about just a friendship site?
Just to take the presure off when you talk to others.

I think there should be an option to put "looking for friends," "looking for dates," "looking for penpals" etc. on the profiles.

Also, something that bothers me is being forced to look at pictures before I ever see profiles. An option to look through profiles with the pictures made invisible would be nice.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:00 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
You all know what I think... I don't think mixing sex-starved male virgins and women who wants a real boyfriend is a good thing.

You don't believe their are sex starved women here :wink:

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:57 pm

Wow another post I make gets cut .

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:59 pm

MXH wrote:
good luck

yeah she's gonna need it, I'm not allowed to have views about it , so it seems .