Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 2:59 pm

Hi. I posted a discussion on this topic a while back but it didn't go far. Seems no one wanted to talk about it.

I have been intrigued by NDE's for about a year after watching The Day I Died (BBC Horizon) documentary. It is a well done programme that doesn't sensationalise the issue and tries to apply scientific thinking to it.

Anyway I wanted to know what people think about NDE's. Do you think they are real experiences that people have or just made up by people who have had traumatic experiences. I have often wondered whether to trust what these people say but what I find intriguing is that there are many stories dating back many years that all seem similar. At the same time the people saying them are both religious and non religious. Someone I know claims that some nights when she sleeps she wakes up feeling like she is almost touching the ceiling. I know I have sleep paralysis often but I never think of it as anything mystical. But I love the idea of having an out of body experience.

Do you think those who say they have these things are exagerating the experience or genuinely believe they left their bodies?

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 3:10 pm

No idea. The mind is a pretty strange thing. Dreams for example. There is a part of our mind that is both clever and not under our control.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 3:55 pm

I think the human brain has a 'death mode' it switches on when it thinks you're dying. That's why all the accounts are so similar.

There's a member of this forum who post in PPR who has them a lot due to temporal lobe epilepsy.