Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 9:33 am

What I am saying is that intellectual superiority is a way to over compensate for ones inability to cheat.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm

Neurodiversity has nothing to do with Supremacism, in fact that makes no sense at all. Aspie supremacism, like all forms of supremacism, is ret*d.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:01 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

I am a outspoken Aspie Supremacist my AS is a strength why can't some Aspies like myself be proud about it I see no shame in having pride in my AS.

Your so-called Aspie Supremacy may be a manifestion or your inability to cheat and dissemble as well as NTs. Do not confuse the inability to be dishonest successfully with moral or intellectual superiority. My so-called honesty stems from my disability to keep two sets of stories (one true and one false) straight in my mind. So, by default, I retain the true story which, after all, corresponds to the way the world is. More truthful is not quite the same thing as can't lie well.

ruveyn

I never needed to cheat on a test in fact I had a lot of NT's cheating off my test that I was taken.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:02 pm

Yes but the neurotypical will reply that you may be book smart but you don't have any common sense.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:03 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Yes but the neurotypical will reply that you may be book smart but you don't have any common sense.

Common sense is in short supply amongst most humans, if it has any value to begin with

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:04 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

I have plenty of common sense the NT's most of the time are the ones that say things like that because they lack common sense more then I do.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:51 pm

How does one not "agree with neurodiversity"?

Isnt that like not agreeing with gravity?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:55 pm

I don't like neurodiversity because I want neurotypicals to be more like me.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:01 pm

I suppose the grenade in this issue is; does neurodiversity also include sociopaths?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:05 pm

TM wrote:
I suppose the grenade in this issue is; does neurodiversity also include sociopaths?

I do not think most considerations of neurodiversity include sociopathy or psychopathy since both of these often result in malicious behavior. Not advocating their exclusion, myself, though I can see why it is hard to accept either psychological condition

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm

Sometimes autistics are considered sociopaths because they do not fit in.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:12 pm

Vigilans wrote:
TM wrote:

I do not think most considerations of neurodiversity include sociopathy or psychopathy since both of these often result in malicious behavior. Not advocating their exclusion, myself, though I can see why it is hard to accept either psychological condition

So does things like bipolar, tourettes and ADHD. I like adding this grenade to the discussion though just because asking if people on a forum for ASD believe in neurodiversity is like asking people on an Islamic messageboard if they believe in Allah.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 3:48 pm

Neurodiversity implies the notion that Autism is not a disorder but rather just a normal part of human diversity, and that Autistic traits involve both extreme weaknesses and extreme strengths.

Interesting scientific publication on Autism and neurodiversity :
Autism as a Natural Human Variation: Reflections on the Claims of the Neurodiversity Movement

Quote:
Conclusion

Some autism inside the narrow conception of neurodiversity can be seen as a natural variation
on par with for example homosexuality. (Lower-functioning autism is also part of natural
variation but may rightly be viewed as a disability.) Just as homosexuals in a homo-phobic
society, the conditions in which autists have to live in an autism-incompatible or even autism-
phobic society are unreasonable. Therefore, it is not fair to place the locus of the problem
solely on the autistic individual. What also is needed is a discourse about the detrimental
effects of an autism-incompatible and autism-phobic society on the well-being of autists.
Therefore, in the case of high-functioning autists, society should not stigmatize these persons
as being disabled, or as having a disorder or use some other deficit-based language to refer to
these people. It is much less morally problematic to refer to the particular vulnerability of
these autists. Also, group-specific rights for autists are needed to ensure that the autistic
culture is treated with genuine equality.
It is our conclusion that it is wrong to subsume all persons with Asperger’s
Syndrome and high-functioning autists into the wide diagnostic category of Autistic Disorder
(Autism Spectrum Disorder), as the work group of the American Psychiatric Association for
the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-V (DSM-V) proposes. Some of
these persons are not benefited with such a psychiatric defect-based diagnosis. In fact, some
of them are being harmed by it, because of the disrespect the diagnosis displays for their
natural way of being, which is of course contradictory to the Hippocratic principle of ‘primum
non nocere’. However, we think that it is still reasonable to include other categories of autism
in the psychiatric diagnostics. The narrow conception of the neurodiversity claim should be
accepted but the broader claim should not.

Interesting scientific publication on Autism and neurodiversity :
The Cerebral Subject and the Challenge of Neurodiversity

Quote:
Abstract
The neurodiversity movement has so far been dominated by autistic people who believe their
condition is not a disease to be treated and, if possible, cured, but rather a human specificity (like
sex or race) that must be equally respected. Autistic self-advocates largely oppose groups of parents
of autistic children and professionals searching for a cure for autism. This article discusses the positions
of the pro-cure and anti-cure groups. It also addresses the emergence of autistic cultures and
various issues concerning autistic identities. It shows how identity issues are frequently linked to
a ‘neurological self-awareness’ and a rejection of psychological interpretations. It argues that
the preference for cerebral explanations cannot be reduced to an aversion to psychoanalysis
or psychological culture. Instead, such preference must be understood within the context of the diffusion
of neuroscientific claims beyond the laboratory and their penetration in different domains of
life in contemporary biomedicalized societies. Within this framework, neuroscientific theories, practices,
technologies and therapies are influencing the ways we think about ourselves and relate to
others, favoring forms of neurological or cerebral subjectivation. The article shows how neuroscientific
claims are taken up in the formation of identities, as well as social and community networks.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 6:26 pm

Joker wrote:
I have to dsagree [P*] while NT's have better social skills [P] in high school my GPA was a lot higher then theirs and it didn't take my as long to pass certin tests ect.

Do I think it makes me better? No [P] of course not but I do think I have a greater advantage then the NT's do [P] when it comes to intelligence I rank higher then they do in a lot of things.

[P] = punctuation required
"than," not "then" - in 3 places
"certain," not "certin"
"etc," not ect (short for et cetera, Latin: Et means "and"; cētera means "the rest")
Other typos ignored

I don't usually point out grammatical errors, even when they bug me, but in this case I don't think it's a good idea to be claiming higher intelligence when your grammar is poor. I know intelligence is not synonymous with language skills, but such a claim made with poor grammar prompts the pedant in me to react. Apologies if this offends. Please feel free to also correct my grammar at any time.

Such is the issue with neurodiversity that I feel compelled to make the above comment, even while knowing it may be offensive. As much for the disadvantages of ND, the advantages balance it out. I'm not sure I would enjoy being NT. I like living inside my head too much. :P

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 6:35 pm

Narrator wrote:
Joker wrote:
I have to dsagree [P*] while NT's have better social skills [P] in high school my GPA was a lot higher then theirs and it didn't take my as long to pass certin tests ect.

Do I think it makes me better? No [P] of course not but I do think I have a greater advantage then the NT's do [P] when it comes to intelligence I rank higher then they do in a lot of things.

[P] = punctuation required
"than," not "then" - in 3 places
"certain," not "certin"
"etc," not ect (short for et cetera, Latin: Et means "and"; cētera means "the rest")
Other typos ignored

I don't usually point out grammatical errors, even when they bug me, but in this case I don't think it's a good idea to be claiming higher intelligence when your grammar is poor.

Not all Aspies are grammar Nazis like you and I. Some (if not most) people are just lazy when it comes to applying proper grammar. That includes for Autistic people and "neurotypicals".

Also, note that not everyone on this forum uses English as a first language. In my case, English is my third language.
That doesn't seem to be the case with Joker, though, as his profile suggests he's from North Carolina.