Page 1 of 12 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,191
Location: Canada

16 Apr 2012, 11:27 am

I've been around this forum for a bit, and couldn't help but wonder if there were any WP users in Ontario!! If so, I'm wondering if anyone's interested in doing a meetup?? I'll edit and post details and other things after we see how many people are coming!



lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,425
Location: Ontario, Canada

16 Apr 2012, 11:39 am

I'm definitely interested. If we can find out where the majority of people lived we could probably set it up in some place central, probably end up being in Toronto somewhere. We would need enough people though and a day that's good for everybody. Also, what do we want to do and where do we want to go?



DaBeef2112
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 145
Location: Toronto

16 Apr 2012, 11:41 am

I'm live in Toronto and i'm originally from Windsor.


_________________
Self Diagnosed Asperger's since 2010
Officially Diagnosed Asperger's and ADHD-PI March 2012
Your Aspie score: 152 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 42 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ = 41 EQ = 9


Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,514
Location: Ontario, Canada

16 Apr 2012, 11:43 am

Great idea! I'd love to participate! I'm in Kingston.



lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,425
Location: Ontario, Canada

16 Apr 2012, 11:55 am

Awesome, so far we're getting a good amount of replies and this thread hasn't even been up for that long. Anybody have any ideas that we could do?



singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 380

16 Apr 2012, 1:21 pm

I'm a Torontonian too. But I have no idea what a buch of aspies would do to socialize. :)



AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,191
Location: Canada

16 Apr 2012, 2:05 pm

Hm...I didn't think this thread would get this may replies :O As for what to do, I don't mind doing a little exploring of Toronto to get to know other another, maybe stop for lunch at the mall?? I don't know, what would you guys be comfortable doing??



Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,514
Location: Ontario, Canada

16 Apr 2012, 3:19 pm

Toronto works for me. I have overstimulation issues with malls though. But a restaurant sounds like a good idea. Don't know any to suggest as I'm not that familiar with Toronto, but I like all kinds of food.



valerieclaires
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 56

16 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm

I'm not from Ontario, but I'm pretty close and would love to do a meet up!



lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,425
Location: Ontario, Canada

16 Apr 2012, 3:46 pm

Hmm, I'm trying to think. I've been to Toronto plenty of times and I was born in Toronto but my parents moved to the Durham Region when I was a baby. Doing some exploring would be nice. They have a lot of nice restaurants in Toronto. I don't know what everybody would feel like doing? The problem with downtown is it's very crowded and I don't know how some people would take that. Let's see...there's the ROM, which usually isn't too bad if you go on a weekday. I don't know everybody's interests. We could maybe go to a pub or something like that.

Where in Ontario does everybody live?
We also need to agree on a date.

Also, if you live in the Toronto area and are very familiar with it, do you have any suggestions?



Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,514
Location: Ontario, Canada

16 Apr 2012, 4:22 pm

I would love to go to the ROM! Do they have a restaurant there?



dancing_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 178
Location: out of the loop

16 Apr 2012, 10:51 pm

Toronto is too far away for me right now (am up in Ottawa), but I lived in Toronto for about a year, up to last year, so know some about what you can do there.
Regarding the ROM, I have been there (on their annual free night), and I think they have a restaurant; most museums do. I didn't go there, though. I see this on the ROM's website, though: link Apparently every Friday night they have a theme night (the first one looks to be this week). Next week they will have documentaries, for instance. I guess people who attend these can also explore the museum exhibits, too.

I would recommend the AGO over the ROM, in terms of collection, however, if you have been to other history and science museums, though. (There are many good things about the ROM, though, too, like their large rock collection; new galleries about Rome and the surrounding region that sound interesting, but were just being built when I was there; the mummies, which were more interesting than the ones at the Met in NY as they were more close-up; and one of the largest dinosaurs ever found (in Canada). Do take the tour of the ROM before you explore it yourself, as I found it quite informative (the tour guide told our group an interesting story about the dinosaur). On second thought after writing this, do check out the ROM, and also the AGO at some point.) Note that it is free to go to the AGO every Wednesday between 6pm and close (8:30pm). The ROM doesn't have a free night anymore, but reduced their ticket prices somewhat.


_________________
Beware of geeks bearing gifts.


lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,425
Location: Ontario, Canada

17 Apr 2012, 6:02 am

Ann2011 wrote:
I would love to go to the ROM! Do they have a restaurant there?


Yes, they do have a restaurant there. :)



lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,425
Location: Ontario, Canada

17 Apr 2012, 6:06 am

dancing_penguin wrote:
Toronto is too far away for me right now (am up in Ottawa), but I lived in Toronto for about a year, up to last year, so know some about what you can do there.
Regarding the ROM, I have been there (on their annual free night), and I think they have a restaurant; most museums do. I didn't go there, though. I see this on the ROM's website, though: link Apparently every Friday night they have a theme night (the first one looks to be this week). Next week they will have documentaries, for instance. I guess people who attend these can also explore the museum exhibits, too.

I would recommend the AGO over the ROM, in terms of collection, however, if you have been to other history and science museums, though. (There are many good things about the ROM, though, too, like their large rock collection; new galleries about Rome and the surrounding region that sound interesting, but were just being built when I was there; the mummies, which were more interesting than the ones at the Met in NY as they were more close-up; and one of the largest dinosaurs ever found (in Canada). Do take the tour of the ROM before you explore it yourself, as I found it quite informative (the tour guide told our group an interesting story about the dinosaur). On second thought after writing this, do check out the ROM, and also the AGO at some point.) Note that it is free to go to the AGO every Wednesday between 6pm and close (8:30pm). The ROM doesn't have a free night anymore, but reduced their ticket prices somewhat.


Yeah, I used to have a membership for the ROM, it was handy because we could go as many times as we wanted to and see all of the special exhibits. Is the AGO the art gallery of Ontario?



AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,191
Location: Canada

17 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

I'm not much of a museum/art gallery person, but I haven't been to either place in a long time, so I'm up for it!!

lostgirl1986 wrote:
dancing_penguin wrote:
Toronto is too far away for me right now (am up in Ottawa), but I lived in Toronto for about a year, up to last year, so know some about what you can do there.
Regarding the ROM, I have been there (on their annual free night), and I think they have a restaurant; most museums do. I didn't go there, though. I see this on the ROM's website, though: link Apparently every Friday night they have a theme night (the first one looks to be this week). Next week they will have documentaries, for instance. I guess people who attend these can also explore the museum exhibits, too.

I would recommend the AGO over the ROM, in terms of collection, however, if you have been to other history and science museums, though. (There are many good things about the ROM, though, too, like their large rock collection; new galleries about Rome and the surrounding region that sound interesting, but were just being built when I was there; the mummies, which were more interesting than the ones at the Met in NY as they were more close-up; and one of the largest dinosaurs ever found (in Canada). Do take the tour of the ROM before you explore it yourself, as I found it quite informative (the tour guide told our group an interesting story about the dinosaur). On second thought after writing this, do check out the ROM, and also the AGO at some point.) Note that it is free to go to the AGO every Wednesday between 6pm and close (8:30pm). The ROM doesn't have a free night anymore, but reduced their ticket prices somewhat.


Yeah, I used to have a membership for the ROM, it was handy because we could go as many times as we wanted to and see all of the special exhibits. Is the AGO the art gallery of Ontario?


Yeah, AGO = Art Gallery of Ontario.