Share something good about your child

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

alongfortheride
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2012, 4:13 pm

This forum is rightfully a place for parents facing significant issues. There is a wonderful group of people helping each other here. It should also be a celebration spot IMHO for those things that your child masters or achieves big and small. Those without a child on the spectrum won't necessarily understand those achievements since they seem so obvious for a child without challenges. Let's cheer on our kids. Share something good about your child.

alongfortheride
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2012, 4:23 pm

I'm going first. My almost 16 year old was given a phone about four years ago. He came to us a month after getting it and wanted to return it. He has always disliked having it. I have had to send texts to his NT sister if I wanted to get a message to him at school since he would never turn it on and check it. He is finally, in the last month or so, getting the idea that it is okay to have and to check and that he can get responses from people for things if he sends a text. I sent him a text today and he actually responded in a timely fashion! I'm on air that there is hope I can get in touch with him when necessary. I still don't expect the standard social stuff, but it is a start. :)

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 5:34 pm

It's great to spend time reflecting on the wonderful things all our children bring to our lives.

My 6 yo wrapped his arms around my neck when I was dropping him off this morning and said to me, "I'll be thinking about you ALL DAY, Mom". :)

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 6:54 pm

My son can be extremely challenging, but he is also a wonderful son.

We had 3 dogs for almost 10 years now, last summer our oldest dog died, which left 2 of them. Then, one of our dogs died unexpectedly last week. We now have one dog, who is sad and lonely for her companions. We explained to my son that she would need extra attention and love so she wont get too lonely. Well, he decided the other day when he woke up, that he needed to go sit with her, and give her some extra attention. Every day since our dog died, he has been going to Mini, our other dog, and giving her extra attention, water, letting her out. It is very sweet that he still remembers that she needs extra care.

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2012, 8:52 pm

My boy is such an interesting little soul. He has taught himself to read, his drawing is amazing, he has a good ear for music, he is funny, he has an amazing memory and attention span (when he wants to), he loves his family, he is loyal, he is kind and he is very good looking (maybe I am biased), he is himself....

Last edited by Shellfish on 18 Apr 2012, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MomofThree1975
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2012, 9:36 pm

Recently my 3 yo confidence in speaking has improved. He has started telling some random people he see's a cheery "Hi!". We took him to the park and he even tied to initiate a conversation with another little girl (albeit he made his statement, gave her 5 seconds to respond and then walked off) :lol: . I am happy that my little guy is feeling more confident in his skin.

He is also now able to tell me when he is tired and need to rest which is soooooo important. Ohh, even better than that, we went to my sis for Easter dinner and he was able to separate himself from the group when he was tired, go rest for a spell, then go rejoin the kids. For any 3yo, that's pretty impressive to know when you need a moment and take it and come back when you are ready.

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2012, 9:44 pm

Couple of things...
Today we found out my son does not have asthma. I didn't expect this bc I went to this new doctor for a different reason than to question the diagnosis. The medical team that diagnosed him last year knew he didn't have a good day of testing but used the tests for diagnosis anyway. I thought it explained his chest pains. I'm so glad to get him off meds he doesn't need.

The doctor we saw today really thinks I have a very special kid. They think he is terrific and extremely smart. Before he went on the treadmill, he excused himself in case people would smell a stench (from his exercising). They thought that was very cute. They also were impressed that he is learning chemistry at age 10. I like my boy. He's a keeper.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 9:19 am

My son (just turned 4) thinks "Listening and dancing to music is AWESOME!" and will not hesitate to tell you.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 4:11 pm

My daughter also loves music!

One great thing about my daughter is she always wants to know why things happen and how things work. She does't take anything for granted...everything has to be studied and analyzed intensely.

MomofThree1975
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2012, 9:43 pm

Oh, i just wanted to add, I read "Green Eggs and Ham" to my son tonight for the first time and he was cracking up. He couldn't stop laughing, which made me laugh. It was too cute. :lol:

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 10:35 pm

MomofThree1975 wrote:
Oh, i just wanted to add, I read "Green Eggs and Ham" to my son tonight for the first time and he was cracking up. He couldn't stop laughing, which made me laugh. It was too cute. :lol:
DS loves Dr Seuss, but Green Eggs and Ham is his current favourite/obsession.

jrelic23
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2012, 5:22 am

My son is amazing....he has so many obsticles in his way and he just pushes right thru them. He is a super trooper. He struggles with reading and writing and cooridnation, however he STRIVES in math and science (two of my worst subjects) the other day my mom was over helping me out and helping him with homework. She gave him some math problems as i was fixing dinner and I told her to time him. Well the problems she gave him he had already completed in a matter of seconds and he asked her for more math problems. She gave him 20 math problems addition and subtraction (hes in the second grade) and it wasnt even 5 min and the kid handed the paper back to grandma with EVERY single math problem correct....he just pushed his chest out and says "easy peasy lemon squeezy grandma, next time make it harder" :lol: Thats my baby boy for ya. Had to share how awesome he is. :D

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 5:52 am

Its the second week of Easter vacation so right now they are driving me batty, cmon Monday.....but then Ill miss them. My son, who is 9 is very cuddly and loving, I hate seeing him grow up because he is starting with that "Im big and I dont have to listen to you" thing but he is still sweet so Ill enjoy it while I can. He brings me his bunny when I am not feeling well (which is frequent), we call it bunny love time. He always wakes up and does everything he needs to with minimal reminders....breakfast, dresses himself, brushes his teeth, makes sure his back packs are ready and picks out which jacket hes going to wear as the weather is off and on lately. We play "chase the foot" with his socks. I lay down in my bed because I am in severe pain from wrangling my 7 year old daughter into her clothes and fixing her hair....she is brushing her teeth by herself since I got her the finger brush....anyone with teeth brushing problems I highly recommend it. The rubber bristles and the bumps on the other side dont bother her and brush her teeth while she stimulating her gums. We also made up a little song so she gets all her teeth. Anyway, my son lays on the bed and I close my eyes and try to find his feet with his socks.

I have found a lot of things to do with them from my bed as I cant stand up or sit for more than a few minutes. I have a lap top so we watch movies and play games. Today we made homemade peanut butter in my high speed blender, that was fun....but loud, they had to get out the ear defenders :). They love smoothies and I even got them to eat spinach by putting it in a smoothie.

My daughter has a very high IQ but needs PECS to really communicate still but thats fine with us and easier now that we have the iPad. My son is so much happier in his school (for special needs kids....Maddy goes next year as we listened to the handicapped place and let her go to public school but it is too stressful for her). They worried about her regressing as some of the kids there are lower functioning but she is lower functioning than her brother as far as speaking and communicating and she is already regressing due to the stress. My son has a best friend, but my daughter is not really interested in other kids aside from one little girl who she relies on when her stupid aide is not paying attention. We have already set up play dates with her Mom for our daughters so my daughter will still get some social interaction with someone she knows and actually will interact with sometimes other than her brother :). She is back to having accidents in her underwear (had her potty trained since she was 4).....still she loves to work and her teacher says she wishes all little 6 and 7 year olds liked to do their school work like she does. He says she is a perfectionist but sometimes too much of one but we should be able to tone that down and we think that is really going to help her in her future. My son who they could not teach to read in the US is now reading English and French. He is also fluent in both as I sent him to a French immersion school (worked my booty off to pay his tuition) so he could, in case we ever moved. Glad I made the sacrifice. My daughter is learning French words and she sounds French due to her perfect pitch.

All in all I think we do pretty well. We have some issues but we have some solutions as well :).

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 6:25 am

Wreck-Gar wrote:
My son (just turned 4) thinks "Listening and dancing to music is AWESOME!" and will not hesitate to tell you.

yo gabba gabba fan? lol

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 6:30 am

Our son has taught himself the Japanese syllables and is trying to teach himself to read Japanese.

Also, we had a recent problem with a relative apparently trying to take him down a few pegs (long story posted elsewhere) and tried to stump him with a question he thought he wouldn't know the answer to. My son answered it, answered it correctly and it was a WHY question which he usually does not do well on. :)

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 7:28 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
Our son has taught himself the Japanese syllables and is trying to teach himself to read Japanese.

My now 19 year old was teaching herself Japanese when she was around 15 or so because she was so obsessed with anime that she couldnt wait for the new movies and shows to come out in English. She still loves her anime but shes gotten into the more darker older people type (I know she watches one called Bleach but I dont know the other ones). She used to watch Sailor Moon when she was a little girl and then when she was around 15 she loved InuYasha.....I think she actually had a crush on his brother who was the evil one, the one with the big fluffy thing around his neck...anyway, I called it Inuwannawasha and she would get mad at me....Im a big kid, dont know why she took everything so seriously at that age, she started laughing for awhile but then just decided her Mother was insane :lol: ....hate the teen years, they are so grumpy :P . Im glad she is nearly 20 now and my older daughter just turned 22 so its nicer now we have fun. We are planning a girls only trip to LA for my 19 year olds 21st birthday. I miss my friend who lives there and I miss Cali in general. So I have a bit over a year to get better so I can travel and have somewhat of a good time...we will stay in a nice hotel for my daughters b day, stay at my friends house the rest of the time, and rent a limo so she can get her first drink....well legally anyway, I may be a big kid but Im not completely gullible especially after what Ive been through! I cant wait, I havent seen my babies in nearly two years and it will be nearly another year in a half....aside from skype. I miss ordering Chinese food and watching movies with one of my best friends and my girls.....I miss having a spa pedicure on every corner. Also since I am the only one going, Im flying first class, YEAH BAYBEE! These doctors better get on the ball! I have a life to live.