Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 9:56 am

I've been using cordless Logitech mice for many years, and all this time I've been wondering about a strange, high-pitched noise. Sometimes I can barely hear it, but at other times it's really annoying. I've often suspected my monitors, but the noise didn't go away when I turned them off. It also didn't seem to come from my computer, because when I put my head under the desk and near my PC, the noise got quieter instead of louder. And yet when I turned off my PC, the noise was gone after a few minutes :?

Now I've finally located the source of this squealing and whining that sounds like electrical interference or tinnitus. Who would have thought that computer mice can squeak? 8O Both my Performance MX mouse and my older MX Revolution do this. Apparently, Logitech used a ceramic capacitor in most mouse models that emits a 15KHz sound due to some sort of frequency multiplication, which can only be heard by a small number of people. Alas, I happen to be one of them.

So I'm looking for a new mouse, even though both mice still work perfectly fine and were quite expensive. I'm rather set on a Logitech model because I've made bad experiences with other brands, and I'm very used to all the additional buttons and the fast scroll mode of the mouse wheel. But of course I don't want to risk that the new mouse has the same maddening "feature".

Is there anybody who owns the Logitech G700 gaming mouse, which appears to be the successor model of the Performance MX, and has exceptionally good hearing? If so, could you hold up the underside of the mouse to your ear and find out if it makes any permanent noises? Alternatively, can you recommend any other cordless, ergonomically shaped laser mouse with a ton of extra buttons that definitely doesn't squeak and squeal?