Why are only hardcore games supposed to be any good?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:40 am

I can't even play a lot of fps games if I wanted to. Those kinds of games are likely to have the kinds of camera movement that gives me motion sickness.

I'd consider myself "hardcore" considering that I tend to play video games for many hours a day. Which specific ones I'm playing doesn't matter.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
'sup

Not much, just browsing the forum.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:26 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
'sup

Not much, just browsing the forum.

You're spot on about the lack of variety in colour palette in 'hardcore games'. We have several shades of brown and grey/gray.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:30 pm

I agree that the industry is way overfocused on bloody, violent, and "gritty" games. Those themes just have little appeal to me. I suppose that's just what their target audience likes these days.

I also think the market is completely oversaturated with FPS's. I don't have a problem with the genre(I thoroughly enjoyed Crysis 2, for example), but sometimes it seems as though their popularity has come at the expense of other genres.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:31 pm

I'm more into level grinding and item collecting, like in rpgs and simulation games.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:57 pm

UnLoser wrote:
I agree that the industry is way overfocused on bloody, violent, and "gritty" games. Those themes just have little appeal to me. I suppose that's just what their target audience likes these days.

I also think the market is completely oversaturated with FPS's. I don't have a problem with the genre(I thoroughly enjoyed Crysis 2, for example), but sometimes it seems as though their popularity has come at the expense of other genres.

Tried Bulletstorm?

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2012, 6:32 pm

rpgaymer wrote:
I think the hardcore label is misleading. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is pretty hardcore. Just try getting all the stars.

This. And you'll be hard pushed to find a brighter, more visually varied game!

It was tense.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

20 Apr 2012, 3:12 pm

Today's "hardcore" isn't the same "hardcore" of 25 years ago. Back then, it meant beating a difficult game without cheating (think Battletoads or Contra). Today, it refers to any game mass-played by whiny teenagers who say stupid s**t on Xbox Live and think they're cool.