Is there any value in bootleg Megadrive games?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2012, 5:59 am

I recently came by what looks like a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog (first one), i have been unable to test it so don't know what's on the cartridge. The cartridge itself is blank. The box contains instruction which looks like it's from the original Sonic. On the box cover is a funny looking rabbit with words Rippon above it. Not a rippoff, a rippon, lol.

Anyway, just wondering if it has any value?

Ryginar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2012, 9:18 am

There's certainly value, but I think it's not going to have the same monetary value as as the real thing, y'know? :P

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2012, 12:47 pm

Lol, i was just wondering. Fakes i suppose are rarer than the real thing but not particularly valuable. I got the name wrong, it's Rippen. I think that's a German word for copying music or videos, and it's probably an intended joke.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 1:41 pm

Unfortunately these bootlegs don't really hold any value, but still cool that you have still have one after all these years. Could you post a picture of it? The cover art alone sounds hilarious :lol:

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 5:42 pm

None at all. You're best off throwing it out. Why would anyone buy a shonky counterfeit when they can easily download a counterfeit for free that is guaranteed to work.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2012, 5:10 am

I don't actually own it, it came into a charity shop that i work at. I'll see if i can get a photo.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 4:02 pm

I see bootleg games at thrift shops a lot. I don't think you'd be getting ripped off or anything if you priced it the same as any other Genny game.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 5:16 pm

Promos these days sell a bit, so maybe it's good to hold onto it until the Mega Drive itself goes up in value.

By the way, Pier Solar would be a worthy investment if you haven't bought the game already...