Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

rileyup
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2012, 3:16 pm

i have noticed that autistics are treated pretty bad on 4chan. everyone is always saying autistic instead of stupid or dumb. and they are always making stereotypes and saying it is fake. if you want a look you can usually find it on the my little pony forum.

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2012, 3:18 pm

At the very minimum >50% of people jumping on the bandwagon have absolutely no idea what autism entails.

4chan is really more of the bowels of the internet, honestly.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 6:21 pm

what is 4chan,maybe im just an old geezer but ive never heard of that

bridgete2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2012, 6:45 pm

hmm... well i noticed the same.. i take it with a grain of salt , though. most of it i find funny

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 8:14 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

Horrible place, you don't want to know. It is a group of forums where all manner of revolting things takes place.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 8:27 pm

starkid wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Horrible place, you don't want to know. It is a group of forums where all manner of revolting things takes place.
thanks for the heads up

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2012, 8:30 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

4chan is an image board with minimal, sometimes biased moderation, especially on their infamous /b/ board that allows users to post anything they want with minimal censorship. The people who visit this board are affectionately known as "/b/-tards".

Once upon a time it was described as a place where smart people would go to act stupid, since it was common to find very witty jokes there. The thing is, that kind of popularity brings hordes of people who only think they are funny.

Even veteran /b/-tards, AKA "Oldfags", resented the novice /b/-tards ("newfags") and referred to them as the "cancer that is killing /b/".

4chan is still popular, but that popularity is fueled almost entirely by people who think being offensive is the same thing as being funny. They developed their own culture that adores contrarian politics, meaning they have no trouble posting images of mutilated humans, depictions of aspies as mentally ret*d outcasts and so on. It is only a horrible place if you take it seriously. Otherwise, its just a chaotic competition to see who can piss the most people off.

I know 4chan members in real life, and their attitude is strongly influenced by the boards. One of them drew a comic of Hitler baking Jews in an oven with a chef's hat on and gave it to a Jew as a Christmas present. Naturally, there is a difference between making a joke with the risk of offending someone and making a joke with the intent of offending someone. /b/-tards and 4chan endorse disrespect while excusing themselves of social responsibility for practicing free speech. Picture a snot-nosed kid screaming "It's a free country! It's a free country!" after peeing on your shoes.

I don't hate the place, but again, I would never take them seriously.

Interestingly, Anonymous has strong roots there.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4chan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 8:48 pm

sage_gerard wrote:
It is only a horrible place if you take it seriously.

No kidding. If someone doesn't take expressions of homophobia, racism, pedophilia and misogyny seriously, of course they won't find that 4chan is a horrible place.

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2012, 8:54 pm

starkid wrote:
No kidding. If someone doesn't take expressions of homophobia, racism, pedophilia and misogyny seriously, of course they won't find that 4chan is a horrible place.

Yep. It's nice not being angry all the time. :D

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 9:17 pm

sage_gerard wrote:

taking something seriously and "being angry all the time" are not the same thing.

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2012, 9:21 pm

starkid wrote:
sage_gerard wrote:

taking something seriously and "being angry all the time" are not the same thing

Maybe not, but they often require a level of worry, fear or something that interrupts being happy. I understand if you do not agree, but I cannot imagine living a life where I take every bad statement seriously,

If this issue is bugging you that badly, send me a PM and we'll talk there.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 10:29 pm

All I know is that /v/ loves using Autistic as a insult at every given opportunity. It's worse than /b/ when it comes to that. :lol:

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 10:48 am

Sounds like another "Encyclopedia Dramatica" esque site? Seeing how everyone is on the bandwagon to stop cyber bullying, you think they'd be trying to stop sites like this. :shrugs: People who post on these kind of fourms usualy turn out to be people who have problems with their own lives and have to bash on others to make themselves feel better. Even with all this hype about stopping bullying, I don't think bullying will ever stop.

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2012, 11:15 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
People who post on these kind of fourms usualy turn out to be people who have problems with their own lives and have to bash on others to make themselves feel better.

Not always. I know many people who have been on the boards, and I used to be a member. There is a trend in this generation to be as offensive as possible in the name of free speech. They make themselves feel better by pretending to be rebellious, not by pretending to compensate for insecurities. It's still pretty dumb, though. :wink:

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 11:50 am

It's a wretched hive of scum and villainy, yes, but what good would getting angry do? Much better to spend your time constructively, such as learning how to permanently take down websites, if you object to it.

Alternatively, you could just leave them to stew in their own juices. If they're all contained in one area, it keeps them off the rest of the internet.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 4:40 pm

*tries to think of anyone who is treated well on 4chan...*

*still trying....*

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I