Fictional Characters With Undiagnosed Aspergers or Autism

Page 45 of 60 [ 949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 60  Next

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 7:22 pm

Deathnote- L and near
Naruto- itachi uchiha

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 7:34 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
If there's one character I think acts a lot like someone with Asperger's, however, is Ariel in The Little Mermaid.

Yes. And the mermaid character in Splash too.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2015, 7:39 pm

As mentioned in my eariler post, there was a previous WP post that mentions that Ash Ketchum of Pokemon has undiagnosed Aspergers. Why would it be that?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 2:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Spock wouldn't be diagnosed with Asperger's in his planet, Vulcan.

He might be diagnosed with "abject emotionalism"--though his half-human nature would probably preclude that; the Vulcan shrink would make use of his logic, and realize that emotionalism is a part of being "human."

Dopey is just....well.....Dopey LOL. He doesn't have any of the social deficits of autism.

I never really got the aspie reading on Spock, given that he knew how to interact with people socially. I am absolutely of the opinion that Voyager's Seven of Nine (depicted in my avatar) is an aspie, even if her overt bluntness, difficulty processing emotion, sensory sensitivities and frustration with her inability to understand social cues are all a result of her life as a Borg. Her obsessive interests (such as studying and collecting data on human behaviours and interactions) are all her own and are not a result of her assimilation: such a penchant for obsessive thought would be irrelevant to the Borg.

Out of Seven, Spock, Tuvok, Data, the Doctor and T'Pol, all of whom could be in the running for having an ASD, I think Seven is the only one who fully qualifies on a diagnostic level.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Last edited by StarTrekker on 20 Mar 2015, 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 2:24 am

QuiversWhiskers wrote:
Let's not leave out Reginald Barclay from Star Trek TNG and Voyager. He's very obsessive, socially off, and has some anxiety disorder as well.

I might mention Elsa as well, for her seclusion and withdrawal for fear of hurting (in ASD perspective: annoying, offending, or injuring feelings; rejection and fear of rejection) someone.

Barclay definitely has moderate to severe social and generalised anxiety disorders with an addictive personality and traits of OCD, but I always attributed his discomfort interacting socially with others to his anxiety diagnoses; I never saw any direct indication of ASD in him, the possible exception being his obsessions with the holodeck and getting Voyager home, both of which could be attributed to his OCD.

As for Elsa, I love Frozen because I see her entire predicament as a metaphor for the life of a person with autism; person with an attribute that can be both a great gift and a terrible curse is shunned and misunderstood by others, feels safest and most content on her own because of this, and is prone to episodes of uncontrollable emotional outbursts which inadvertently hurt those around her. That said, I don't think that Elsa by herself, taken out of context of the story, would qualify as being ASD; she has no social skills deficits, no restricted or repetitive behaviours, no sensory problems, no obsessive interests, etc.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

pirateowl76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2015, 3:13 am

I've long thought that both Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan, and Dr. Zack Addy, from Bones, show strong signs of Asperger's...Addy is rather obvious IMO. Brennan's frequent perplexity about why people act the way they do, her fascination with human behavior even though she doesn't really get it, her obsessive attention to her work, her bluntness in stating the truth and what's on her mind without much regard for how her words might affect others (though she does show confusion and remorse when called out on it, so it's obvious she doesn't mean to be hurtful), her frequent misunderstanding of jokes and metaphorical thinking (she says, "I don't know what that means" in most episodes), her focus on logic and the scientific rather than emotions, and even the kind of weird way in which she talks (a strange cadence, and a little too loud) just scream Asperger's to me.

BUT, keep in mind these are stereotypical signs, and I'm not meaning to be offensive in my observations. Just answering the original post. :oops:

(Offtopic, but it's long bothered me. In the TV show, Brennan is a forensic anthropologist with much understanding of primitive cultures, yet shows a stunning lack of understanding of modern human behavior, so I find that puzzling; it seems like it would interfere with her work solving crimes. But even more contradictory is that she's a novelist. It seems to me that if she lacks understanding of basic human behavior and motivations, she would not make a very good novelist. :| But that might just be me.)

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2015, 9:03 am

Zack definitely has Asperger's. They have mentioned it in interviews. Wish they hadn't screwed up his character though, damn writers strike.

Bones herself is a bit up in the air. Maybe she is but a lot of her attitudes can be put down to abandonment and her rough time in the foster care system.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2015, 9:43 am

StarTrekker wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Spock wouldn't be diagnosed with Asperger's in his planet, Vulcan.

He might be diagnosed with "abject emotionalism"--though his half-human nature would probably preclude that; the Vulcan shrink would make use of his logic, and realize that emotionalism is a part of being "human."

Dopey is just....well.....Dopey LOL. He doesn't have any of the social deficits of autism.

I never really got the aspie reading on Spock, given that he knew how to interact with people socially. I am absolutely of the opinion that Voyager's Seven of Nine (depicted in my avatar) is an aspie, even if her overt bluntness, difficulty processing emotion, sensory sensitivities and frustration with her inability to understand social cues are all a result of her life as a Borg. Her obsessive interests (such as studying and collecting data on human behaviours and interactions) are all her own and are not a result of her assimilation: such a penchant for obsessive thought would be irrelevant to the Borg.

Out of Seven, Spock, Tuvok, Data, the Doctor and T'Pol, all of whom could be in the running for having an ASD, I think Seven is the only one who fully qualifies on a diagnostic level.

But Spock and Vulcans have less empathy than humans. It is kind if similar with aspies having less empathy than humans but except aspies do actually have empathy but since they can't communicate it correctly, people percieve that aspies dont have emotions just like Vulcans.
As for the Lum invader in Urusei Yatsura, she is an alien but she does do a lot of autistic behavior considering that autsitic people in real life are aliens comapred to NT. Lum is really smart but she acts like a little kid at times and thinks of earth as if she is a little kid. Also she has a MAD obsesion with Ataru and wanting to live "In a Sweet Home with her darling (Ataru)." And whenever anything detour's Lum's wish she gets really mad like when Ataru flirts on other girls, Lum shocks them with rage.

Last edited by GoldTails95 on 20 Mar 2015, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 9:48 am

Don't you agree that one must make use of the parameters of one's planet when "diagnosing" someone?

From an Earth standpoint, Spock has many Aspie traits.

From a Vulcan standpoint, though, he's "normal"--except when his "humanness" comes out.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 10:03 am

Spencer Reid from criminal minds seems like the best candidate I've seen for it. He's not exaggerated like Sheldon nor a douche like house. He's a regular guy who is a bit off. I love him.

Also bobby goren from law and order cos seems it to me too.

One more thing, unrelated. I really hate typing on this kindle.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 10:21 am

will@rd wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:
Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory. I wanna date him.

According to interviews with the producers and writers when BBT first became a hit, Sheldon was intentionally modeled after the son of some staffer's friend who has AS, so Sheldon was kind of pre-diagnosed as he was created. They even said they spread some of the AS behaviors out among the other characters (like Raj and his selective mutism), so Sheldon wouldn't seem "too autistic" (you'll notice Shellie's obsession with trains is straight out of the DSM, where it was only intended to be a for-instance). That claim has since been scrubbed from all interviews and the show's people deny any connection between Sheldon and autism, but that's a pathetically obvious lie. I think they were afraid of complaints from the autism community, but every Aspie I've ever heard comment on it loves the show because of Sheldon's autism. My only issue with Sheldon as a representative of autism and AS in particular, is that his behaviors are more the behaviors of an autistic child, rather than those of a nearly 30 year old Aspie. I think most of us get a handle on sarcasm by the time we reach our twenties.

Are you kidding?!?!? Sorry, I get pretty worked up over this. I'm near to despising the people who created BBT because of their behavior! Sheldon is a massive caricature and all of his behaviors are incredibly stereotypical, I mean Seasons 1-7 are practically filled with jokes about his autism, it was the very basis of the show!

Every joke in that show and (practically) every plot was "Oh Sheldon, your autism and problems are so funny, let's laugh at them!" Or at least that's how I see it, I'm open to other points of view and would like to hear yours.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 10:24 am

I agree.

In real life, I can't see how anybody would want to spend any time with Sheldon!

If he knocked on my door like he does, I'd probably pop him one!

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 10:28 am

Me too, the show has been getting less about Sheldon's autism which is a good step.

But... being the fussy person that I am, I have another issue, well... several.
Bernadette. GAR! The voice! It's genuinely painful to listen to. The other problem is more serious, most of the program is about sex! There are so many innuendos that it is difficult to pick up on them all and they are mostly about sex, it's like an obsession, but the show is aimed at teenagers so I can't blame them. Laughter tracks too, gotta hate them, it's like the show is telling you when to laugh and it's not even filmed in front of a live (typed "laugh" by accident) audience. WTH America?!??!?!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 10:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I agree.

In real life, I can't see how anybody would want to spend any time with Sheldon!

If he knocked on my door like he does, I'd probably pop him one!

I would be friends with him. He would probably sit and talk for hours about weird topics that I like and nobody else does

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 10:31 am

He's a creepy sort, in my opinion.

He has no idea...and no intention to learn...how to deal with another person.

I think you'd both walk away from each in a huff after one marathon sessions. Maybe you'll come back for more because it's a challenge. However, I don't think the relationship would last.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 10:40 am

Talking to Sheldon sounds OK in theory, but it really isn't. The guy is narcissistic to the point of near (well... complete) delusion, self-obsesses, consistently tells you that you are wrong and also less intelligent than him and just flat out insults you, when told that he is insulting you, he does not care, due to the narcissism.
It would definitely suck for me :P.