Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you have an natural concept of what people are considered beautiful?
Yes 58%  58%  [ 36 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 62

TheBrain
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2012, 1:24 pm

When I was in fifth grade I was in a private school. The school did a dance with another school and a couple of girls asked me to dance. I never was in a situation like this before, so I asked the other boys that I went to school with which one was prettier. They told me which one they thought was pretty and I danced with her and got her phone number. Only afterward did the other boys tell me that they were only joking. They thought the girl I was with was absolutely ugly. That was when I first realized that I had no concept of pretty or ugly. I still don't really. I just base my thoughts on it on what I think others would think. I'm just wondering if this is an Aspie thing.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 1:40 pm

No, I decide for myself about who I find the most attractive.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 1:46 pm

I have a good personal idea of what's physically attractive in women. However, I'd take my friends' opinion into account if I was in a similar situation.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 2:49 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. (Which means, every individual person has their own concept of what is beautiful, regardless of what others think.)

I have my own concept of what I find beautiful. When I was younger, I realized it wasn't necessarily mainstream and felt embarrassed because I would get made fun of for it. I tried to change my concept of beauty to fit in better with my peers for a little while, but it was exhausting and fake and I eventually gave up. I like what I like, and I don't try to make it fit social norms any more.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

TheBrain
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2012, 2:51 pm

I guess I didn't draw a complete picture. I do have my own concept, but it varies widely from what the general public finds attractive. Actually it's more like I find almost all people attractive in their own way. The only reason I care about physical beauty at all is because of what other people would say about me.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 2:54 pm

I think there is a difference between considering someone pretty (or handsome) and being attracted to them. There are lots of people out there who I can recognise are aesthetically pleasing but I don't feel a sexual attraction to them.

It is worth remembering that beauty is subjective and a lot of what we consider 'beautiful' is a cultural construct. Different societies (pre-globalisation) had different ideas of beauty and what was considered beautiful in one historical period was considered unattractive in another.

The fact that you don't (or can't) buy into these constructs means that you have a better opportunity to choose your partners on the basis of compatibility and sexual chemistry rather than on what society currently perceives as 'beautiful'. If you find a woman attractive and feel like you get on well, then it really shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Miron121
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 May 2012, 2:56 pm

I can usually find some attractive features or "beauty" in ALMOST all females.

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2012, 3:52 pm

I know what society considers "Beauty" but it tends to be way different to what I'd call beauty.

DaBeef2112
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2012, 3:59 pm

My taste are definitely different then most others guys I know but not completely. I might recognize that both girl A and girl B are both attractive but I might prefer girl B when most guys tend to prefer girl A.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 42 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ = 41 EQ = 9

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 4:13 pm

I think my ideas are a bit unconventional. My ideals for myself don't match what I am expected to look like. I think my aesthetic preferences vary rather wildly :lol:
Oh man. My computer science lab partner...I had such a killer crush on her. :oops: I thought she was so beautiful, inside and out. When I looked at her from the perspective of a mutual friend who was looking at her facebook pictures, I noticed things that might be seen as flaws. It didn't change my internalized-excited-puppy-like reaction when I saw her next. :silent:
I think my ideal male appearance is like Jesse Eisenberg and one of my favorite women is Kristen Stewart. She's so shy and pretty and doesn't give a f**k :lol:

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 4:19 pm

Given my past partners I certainly don't see beauty as other people do - I always see the person first, physical beauty comes as a result of that, and I don't understand what society views as beautiful for example I don't understand attraction to Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp.

Then I'm led to believe that the majority see the cast of Geordie Shore as attractive;
...I...don't...understand... :?

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Miron121
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 May 2012, 4:38 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
[ I LOVE faces, they are my fav part of a girl physically so that's what these are:

Take the Deschanel sisters...

http://images.buddytv.com/articles/emilyzooey.jpg

Zooey is one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen.

Her sister seems very plain and almost plastic by comparison.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 4:40 pm

Bloodheart - I am as confused as you are! That look isn't one I find remotely attractive, I think a person can look so overtly sexual that it somehow goes full circle and it becomes sexless and unappealing to me. I'm not keen on the overly groomed look for men, but of course that is just a personal preference and doesn't mean that the look isn't attractive, it just isn't to me.

I suppose for me attraction goes beyond looks. Sometimes you just meet a person and you click intellectually and feel sure that you would click physically. When that happens the person immediately becomes attractive to me, regardless of looks.

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2012, 5:25 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
Then I'm led to believe that the majority see the cast of Geordie Shore as attractive;

People like this make me sick in my mouth :eew:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 5:28 pm

If you look like Mick Avory, give me a call. :wink:

NotaHero
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2012, 5:36 pm

I know what I find beautiful, but it does seem different from what it seems other people like. It seems most people like fake plastic looks. Just can't understand why any one would be attracted to people like Jordan or Kim Kardashian.