Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 6:42 am

We really need to start using german insults more often. pigdog

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 6:48 am

The Meredith Brooks song "B**ch" is quite the strange song, lexian.
Seems to be quite interchanging as a person if this were actually a person.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 6:53 am

If you call a woman a b***h, it qualifies as an insult.

If you call a female dog a b***h, it doesn't qualify as an insult.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 7:09 am

In regards to edgewaters post I think it's worthwhile to note that B****is used when a woman is perceived as being unreasonable and a lot of times that's just being assertive.
My favorite just for funsies definition is
being
in
total
control of
herself

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 7:46 am

Me, I'm the meaning of b***h :twisted:

It's also an acronym for Babe In Total Control of Herself (above poster already mentioned it :lol:)

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

09 May 2012, 8:09 am

MXH wrote:
We really need to start using german insults more often. pigdog

:lol: Welsh is way better for insults as a good number of them are agricultural in reference.
The Welsh word ci (dog) as an insult used to refer to a woman as being a 'slapper' or ugly but over time its now refers to men has beeing a letch or sexually aggressive.

Oh there gast (b***h) and sguthan which is literally translated as wood pigeon but is means horrible woman.
Plus there's cont caseg which means loose woman there's no way am giving the literally translation of that phrase now! :lol:

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 9:28 am

It's the term used for a female dog, just as hen is a female chicken, or queen a female cat.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 9:31 am

persian85033 wrote:
It's the term used for a female dog, just as hen is a female chicken, or queen a female cat.

That doesn't reflect common modern usage though.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 9:54 am

I have never heard an Aussie or a Kiwi use that word except for when it was intented as an insult in the entire time that I have lived here.

Many don't know this, but the word became popular as an term and insult back in the days of slavery. Black, native or mixed women were often referred to as a b**** by the owner or the overseer, because they were though of as no more than dogs and only good for f*****g or breeding. It was a very derogatory racist and sexist term.

That happened in both english speaking countries where there was slavery and spanish speaking countries, hence why the term b**** and puta are such common insults in each language, especially on the american continent. It is not a concindence that all 3 phrases son of a b****, hijo de puta and filha da puta are all so similar.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2012, 9:56 am

persian85033 wrote:

That's like saying a "f*gg*t" is a "bundle of sticks."

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:24 pm

Actually it is. I think fa***t was all those sticks and things they put around your feet when you were tied and were going to be burned at the stake.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2012, 1:38 pm

persian85033 wrote:
Actually it is. I think fa***t was all those sticks and things they put around your feet when you were tied and were going to be burned at the stake.

That is factually true, but in modern American usage, it is more often used as a pejorative term for a gay man.

It is dangerous to know the dictionary definitions of words but not how they are actually used in modern context; can lead to misunderstandings and awkward situations.

Last edited by mushroo on 09 May 2012, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:41 pm

DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
persian85033 wrote:

That doesn't reflect common modern usage though.

Still used as technical jargon by dog breeders, but you're right, nobody else uses it that way.

As I mentioned in my post I know a couple who are dog breeders, and it's quite shocking sometimes to hear them use it. "There's something wrong with that b***h," "we want to breed this b***h" etc 8O

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 2:32 pm

I don't know how the term b***h is used in other countries, but in the U.S. it's usually used as an insult. Here it's usually used to refer to a woman who's a slut, a prostitute, a nag, an a**hole, or a woman who you just hate in general. Once in a while a woman will say something like "hey b***h" as a greeting to one of their close friends if they're just messing with them, but it's not a very good idea to greet people this way unless you know for certain that they're okay with it. I get the impression that guy who asked "where's your b***h" on the phone is a guy who lacks respect for women and sees them as being only sex toys.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 2:46 pm

Mike1 wrote:
I don't know how the term b***h is used in other countries, but in the U.S. it's usually used as an insult. Here it's usually used to refer to a woman who's a slut, a prostitute, a nag, an a**hole, or a woman who you just hate in general. Once in a while a woman will say something like "hey b***h" as a greeting to one of their close friends if they're just messing with them, but it's not a very good idea to greet people this way unless you know for certain that they're okay with it. I get the impression that guy who asked "where's your b***h" on the phone is a guy who lacks respect for women and sees them as being only sex toys.

I may certainly hope not, because he's getting married to a woman who now lives in China. I'd definetely dislike the idea of a husband seeing me as not much more than a sex toy.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 2:51 pm

I'm really unclear on the possessive use ... usually it implies submission but the younger generation seems to be starting to use it in ways I don't fully understand. It's either really disturbing, or quite egalitarian. Can't tell.